• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Logo for Northern Trains LTD

Status
Not open for further replies.

dorsetdesiro

Or this, which didn't take much longer:
View attachment 85237
I did spend a fair bit of time trying to Photoshop it onto a 195, but my use of the vanishing point tool left a lot to be desired so I decided not to post it.

That is spot on, they should have gone for something like this. The n logo together with the wording in capitals doesn't make sense and looks disjointed, the govt understandably has much bigger things to worry about. The new logo probably is temporary that the real change likely would occur post-virus.

The above logo by Rhydgaled is perfect, no change required to the livery & uniforms etc. Those coloured circles, on white backdrops on livery, simply change the n's for N's.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

js1000

Saw the new logo the other day on the PID onboard. Thought it looked fine. The approach makes sense to me - no point spending a fortune on rebranding. £30,000 is a drop in the ocean compared to what they could have spent if they changed the logo entirely, colour scheme etc.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Saw the new logo the other day on the PID onboard. Thought it looked fine. The approach makes sense to me - no point spending a fortune on rebranding. £30,000 is a drop in the ocean compared to what they could have spent if they changed the logo entirely, colour scheme etc.
It is perfectly sensible in my view to take the stance that a rebranding at this stage doesn't make sense - but in that case, why bother changing the font at all? Why not leave as is?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
If I’m quite honest I don’t understand why everyone is trying to design logos for Northern; they’ve made their decision and that’s (unfortunately),what we’ll see.

Speaking of their horrible new logo, has it appeared on any trains yet?

py_megapixel

Established Member
Speaking of their horrible new logo, has it appeared on any trains yet?
I don't believe so, but apparently some 150s and 156s have had the old logo stripped off suggesting that they are shortly to have the new one applied in its place.

Honestly a ccomplete waste of vinyl in my opinion.

adh144004

Noticed 333012 out on the Airedale line today wearing the new upper case font/branding.

js1000

It is perfectly sensible in my view to take the stance that a rebranding at this stage doesn't make sense - but in that case, why bother changing the font at all? Why not leave as is?
It's a copyright issue isn't it? The DfT have done the bare minimum with making it as similar as possible but different enough to not break copyright.

mde

It's a copyright issue isn't it? The DfT have done the bare minimum with making it as similar as possible but different enough to not break copyright.
Northern Trains Limited own the trademarks to the 'existing' brand - they transferred from Arriva (post 208).

prod_pep

Established Member
331008 on the 1445 Liverpool Lime St - Wigan NW today had the new font while partner 331023 still had the rounded font.

I actually prefer the new font having seen it in person. All lowercase is nasty.

317 forever

Established Member
I saw a 150/1 and 195/0 with NORTHERN in upper case yesterday. Also the ticket machine at platform 13 at Piccadilly included upper case on the ticket machine screen. I expect other ticket machines do too.

GoneSouth

195025 has 1 carriage with lower case and 1 carriage with upper case
This sums up Northerns half arsed attempts at doing anything and everything over the past decade! Do a really crap job and then only do half of it.

Northern employees I’m not aiming this criticism at you individually because I’ve had some great help from you over the years. Please don’t be offended and thanks for all your efforts, but the way railways have been run in the north is a bit embarrassing.

Adam0984

This sums up Northerns half arsed attempts at doing anything and everything over the past decade! Do a really crap job and then only do half of it.

Northern employees I’m not aiming this criticism at you individually because I’ve had some great help from you over the years. Please don’t be offended and thanks for all your efforts, but the way railways have been run in the north is a bit embarrassing.
Probably started it then it had to go out and hasn't been back to depot again.

jonnyfan

New uniforms are due over the next month or so - lots of new logos around once they arrive. And finally the 'by arriva' tag will be gone

Jamesrob637

Established Member
319370 has NORTHERN in full capital letters. As does 319369.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.