• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Logo for Northern Trains LTD

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinTurvey

I think a capital N for the logo would look stronger, perhaps even similar to the old Northern or Northern Irish BAnk logo, maybe even with an arrow pointing upwards to suggest movement and the positive. The upside down horseshoe looks sad.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
I always quite liked the Northern Spirit name and especially the maroon and gold livery, has enough time passed for it to be resurrected ? Does Arriva technically own that too?

It also depends on how people remember Northern Spirit. Lots of talk on here about how great the livery was but nothing about how rubbish the franchise was overall. I'm guessing a nice livery and the fact they used loco hauled at one point brings out a degree of rose tintedness.

Darandio

Established Member
I don't think it's a "font" as such. It looks to me like a custom logotype, where the characters were drawn specially for this logo. I doubt very much whether anyone's ever drawn a "w" or "z" in that font, in other words.

As i've already stated upthread, i'm fairly certain they commissioned a variant of the Gluck typeface.

_toommm_

Established Member
Hmm.... Northern Spirit has always struck me as better suited to be the name of a train rather than the name of a TOC. I've always thought just calling it anything which refers to "the North" as one block is a bit impersonal.

You could do it by counties :D "Cumbria, Lancashire, Northumberland, County Durham, Yorkshire and some bits of Cheshire, Staffordshire, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire Railway"

Or abbreviate it as is the fashion today, to CLNDYCSDNLR. Not quite the same ring to it as LNER, but hey ho.

dorsetdesiro

Inspired by "Wrexham & Shropshire" - just two names of the North's two largest counties for the name like "Yorkshire & Lancashire Railway" so it covers both east & west parts? Less of a mouthful...

Darandio

Established Member
Inspired by "Wrexham & Shropshire" - just two names of the North's two largest counties for the name like "Yorkshire & Lancashire Railway" so it covers both east & west parts? Less of a mouthful...

I can see that going down well in places such as County Durham, Tyne & Wear, Northumberland, Cumbria..........

It also depends on how people remember Northern Spirit. Lots of talk on here about how great the livery was but nothing about how rubbish the franchise was overall. I'm guessing a nice livery and the fact they used loco hauled at one point brings out a degree of rose tintedness.
No two ways about it the franchise then turned very quickly into a dogs dinner, but that was a management and financial problem. Had it not been called Northern Spirit back then and stayed as RRNE until Arriva took control I imagine the Northern Spirit name now through the lens of today would be viewed more favourably and seen as galvanizing though still cheesy.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I always quite liked the Northern Spirit name and especially the maroon and gold livery, has enough time passed for it to be resurrected ? Does Arriva technically own that too?

"NorthernSpirit" always struck me as a weird name, but "Spirit of the North" would work quite well as a strapline for either Northern or TPE.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I think a capital N for the logo would look stronger, perhaps even similar to the old Northern or Northern Irish BAnk logo, maybe even with an arrow pointing upwards to suggest movement and the positive. The upside down horseshoe looks sad.

One of the major building companies appear to have nicked the (N) as well!

tpjm

"NorthernSpirit" always struck me as a weird name, but "Spirit of the North" would work quite well as a strapline for either Northern or TPE.

Imagine the uproar if the DfT added 'Spirit of the North' vinyls to the current Northern branding, even on those 13 Class 142s that recently received a derogation :D

Parallel

Established Member
Along with the rest of the forum, I had a play around on Paint to have a go at some logos :lol:

I've tried to incorporate the upside down horseshoe as it looks a bit random without Arriva's style font next to it.

Northern logo.jpg

Last edited:

pdeaves

Established Member
Along with the rest of the forum, I had a play around on Paint to have a go at some logos :lol:

I've tried to incorporate the upside down horseshoe as it looks a bit random without Arriva's style font next to it.

View attachment 79550
I like your third one best.

Has the official version been rolled out yet? The logo on https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/ looks the same as it always has done, to me. Am I missing something simple?

On Moderation
The new logo is for internal use only, it won't be used externally for now
So there are now two logos, using the same name, one internal (no doubt designed at great expense by some consultants) and one external. What an absolute shambles of an organisation - it can't even decide how to present itself.

fgwrich

Established Member
So there are now two logos, using the same name, one internal (no doubt designed at great expense by some consultants) and one external. What an absolute shambles of an organisation - it can't even decide how to present itself.

I Still think the logo just about sums it all up. Shall we try and a little bit professional today?

(From the article found on digital arts online. Quite an interesting read https://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk...-getting-stick-on-twitter-but-does-it-matter/)

Attachments

• CDB516FC-0131-4411-91A6-9D764217F42E.jpeg
    CDB516FC-0131-4411-91A6-9D764217F42E.jpeg
    289.3 KB · Views: 7

neontrix

I can assure you that the internal logo was not designed at 'great expense by some consultants'. Anyone with any graphic design knowledge can tell you the job looks extremely 'desktop-published' and was probably done on Microsoft word or by the Operator of Last Resort's graphics team in-house.

Completely agree that having two logos is just a bit of a mess, especially for an organisation that should, at the moment, be trying to project an image of dependability and competence.

MasterCutler

To be honest, if you go on the design your own logo sites, you can do something some much better than what they've got..

These are what I knocked up in five minutes and both would probably look better.

Screenshot_2020-06-16 Free Online Logo Maker, Create Custom Logo Designs - DesignEvo.png
Screenshot_2020-06-16 Make A High-Quality Logo In Just 5 Minutes For Under $30 .png

py_megapixel

Established Member
To be honest, if you go on the design your own logo sites, you can do something some much better than what they've got..

These are what I knocked up in five minutes and both would probably look better.

View attachment 79628
View attachment 79627
Hmm... absolutely nothing wrong with those designs in principle, but "On the right track" is incredibly easy to make fun of...

Energy

Established Member
They do look like they have come from the early 2000s though...

tbtc

Veteran Member
Do they? The whole point of neutral branding is to transfer the brand across - as I recall it this was part of the DfT's requirements.

That was my understanding too.

But then, I've also been told several times on this Forum that having bland transferrable brands and/or public sector management of trains would mean that we didn't have to keep spending money on things like this - wasn't that one of the arguments in favour of nationalisation (the supposed idea that a state-owned railway wouldn't feel the need to tweak the livery)?

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
View attachment 79399
I kinda like this fantasy logo. Image if this made it onto a real train. :smile:

It did back in the early noughties, mostly on class 156 Sprinters. As for the new Northern logo, the font appears to be Ariel Rounded semibold. The old logo is the lower case version to the Northern Spirit font.

Established Member
It did back in the early noughties, mostly on class 156 Sprinters.

I think you somehow missed the humour in my post.. Got the tie, got the badge, even got the keys to the train via the Calder Valley ;)

Anyway. All aboard this safe, airworthy Newton Heath maintained aircraft.... o_O:o:lol:

NorthernAir.png
credit: airline empires simulator

Last edited:

destere

I think he Dft's example and all of the user examples in this thread show you just need to go to a good, experienced graphic designer.

Just because Illustrator and Photoshop are easy to obtain, doesn't make someone a designer!

fairysdad

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
Playing around a little bit myself. Nobody has said that the 'n' has to be the first letter of the word!

The top one is the existing 'n' in a circle motif with the same typeface as on that Twitter page; the middle one uses the 'n' in the same typeface as the rest of the mockup logo; the bottom one is just something else, and with the white text on the dark blue background as the whole logo, they can still use the lower case 'n' motif when they need a small logo. I realise it's not central, and the kerning would need working on but for a five minute quick job in paint.net, it's not too bad ;)northern.png

DB

If it's true that Arriva owns the font, why on earth did the DfT let this happen? Given that the whole point of the non-operator-specific branding was that it would be transferrable, surely there should be something in the franchise agreement along the lines of no proprietary intellectual property being used in the branding (or if it is, agreement that successor franchises can use it royalty free for as long as the branding scheme is in use).

mde

Intriguingly, a Freedom of Information request to Northern has appeared on WhatDoTheyKnow regarding this very subject…

WhatDoTheyKnow user said:
Dear Northern Trains Limited,

When you took over from Arriva Rail North you updated your logo simply by removing the "By Arriva" part but you kept everything else the same. Now i see you have just decided to change your logo again but it seems that all you did was change the letters from lowers case letters to upper case letters but otherwise the logo is still very similar. So i just have a couple of questions in regards to these two changes. My questions are as follows below:

• 1. How much did it cost (this should be the total cost for everything involved in updating your logo including changing signage and anything else) for your first logo change (where you simply removed the "By Arriva" part)?
• 2. Was any design company involved in your first logo change (where you simply removed the "By Arriva" part)?
• 3. If yes to Q2 then what is the name of the design company involved?
• 4. If yes to Q2 then how much did the design company charge for this?
• 5. How much did it cost (this should be the total cost for everything involved in updating your logo including changing signage and anything else) for your second logo change (where you changed all of the letters from lower case letters to upper case letters)?
• 6. Was any design company involved in your second logo change (where you changed all of the letters from lower case letters to upper case letters)?
• 7. If yes to Q6 then what is the name of the design company involved?
• 8. If yes to Q6 then how much did the design company charge for this?

I look forward to hearing back from you regarding this information. Thank you for your help.

Yours faithfully,
Howard Wilkinson

I wouldn't necessarily hold hope for a useful answer, however, they have previously stated:
Northern Trains Limited said:
The text accompanying the Northern logo is part of a designed image. There is no font associated with it that we are able to share as a file.

mde

"VAG Rounded" - is that related to Volkswagen-Audi Gruppe? I half think it might be...I think they used it in the past.
It is, there is a potted history on Wikipedia:

Wikipedia said:
In 1964, Volkswagen AG bought Auto Union GmbH from Daimler Benz. The main active brand of Auto Union was DKW, but it was soon dropped by Volkswagen and replaced by Auto Union's dormant Audi brand. In the early 1970s, the dealer organizations of Volkswagen and Audi merged. In the following years, Volkswagen AG re-thought their future strategy. They envisioned buying several car companies to round out their offerings. They also envisioned selling a multitude of brands under giant dealer roofs. The new dealer organization, financial services, and all other non-car related activities were to come under one branded umbrella. Eventually, Volkswagen intended to use this umbrella as the name of their holding company: General Motors in reverse.

GGK Düsseldorf was tasked with the branding concept. Finding a distinct typeface was an integral part. Volkswagen at the time had Futura as their typeface. Audi at the time used Times. The new typeface would be neither sans-serif (like Futura) nor serif (like Times), and the idea for a rounded typeface was born. After the company failed to find an existing rounded typeface at the time, the new typeface had to be developed. The original idea was conceived by Wolf Rogosky (creative director) and Gerd Hiepler (art director). Over several years, the identity concept was refined by Bertel Schmitt (creative director) and Manfred Schwarzer (art director). The original typeface was rendered by hand. It was then perfected on a PDP-8 minicomputer.

How VAG Rounded was born
In 1978, the whole Volkswagen and Audi Dealer Organization worldwide was re-branded as V.A.G using the distinct V.A.G Rounded (or V.A.G Rundschrift) as the font for all signage, and for all headlines in their advertising. The V.A.G logo did not use the font. Worldwide availability of the font was a problem. To solve the problem, V.A.G Rounded was put in the public domain[citation needed]. As Desktop Publishing emerged in the mid 1980s, V.A.G Rounded was included in most free font packages and became widely used for that reason. A free modern implementation is MgOpen Modata.

I'll admit I was amused to see their reference to using an "industry-standard typeface called Rail Alphabet" on signage. Clearly the author hasn't seen a lot of the station signage produced by Northern in either Serco-Abellio or Arriva days, which used a mix of Brunel/NR Brunel, VAG Rounded, and Arial (as seen at Oxford Road)!

Status
Not open for further replies.