• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

new machines at Sheffield Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbie babs

Does anyone know what the new machines are, just as you go under the arches inside the station going towards the steps in the station.

They are about 4 foot tall, 4 of them I think and I am not sure if they read tickets. Caught a glimpse of them as I can through the station last Saturday.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WillPS

Established Member
They are for the Stagecoach Smartcard scheme that is going to be rolled out at some point (it's been delayed several times). It'll probably also be used to YORCARD if/when that happens.

Established Member
They are for the Stagecoach Smartcard scheme that is going to be rolled out at some point (it's been delayed several times). It'll probably also be used to YORCARD if/when that happens.

AFAIK Yorcard is still on the go - both SYPTE and Metro were advertising for staff, and Newcastle University have been talking about it recently as well.

waytogo

AFAIK Yorcard is still on the go - both SYPTE and Metro were advertising for staff, and Newcastle University have been talking about it recently as well.

Got stopped in the street the other day to do a survey for SYPTE. Apparently the new smartcard scheme is coming next year to replace travelmasters etc

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
waytogo said:
Got stopped in the street the other day to do a survey for SYPTE. Apparently the new smartcard scheme is coming next year to replace travelmasters etc

Indeed, Yorcard is still very much alive. Under 16 passes are now being issued as smartcards and staff Travelmaster passes are smartcards too (we're going to be the test dummies!).

WillPS

Established Member
Awesome - Yorcard is a great idea, hopefully should make life easier, particularly for people who travel across the WYPTE/SYPTE border.

Established Member
so are the machines for Stagecoach or Yorcard and what is a yorcard by the way ?

Yorcard is like Oyster for the South Yorkshire area, which also can be used for cross-boundary travel into West Yorkshire. It was trialled a few years ago.

syorksdeano

Excellent. I thought that the YorCard idea was scrapped. In fact did anyone get invited for the trial? All machines have been removed from buses anyway.

So will this now mean that customers will be able to buy weekly Travelmasters on the buses instead of having to travel to the many unhelpful Travel South Yorkshire places?

waytogo

Excellent. I thought that the YorCard idea was scrapped. In fact did anyone get invited for the trial? All machines have been removed from buses anyway.

So will this now mean that customers will be able to buy weekly Travelmasters on the buses instead of having to travel to the many unhelpful Travel South Yorkshire places?

We may be able to buy them from post offices/newsagents (possibly through paypoint terminals?) and also online.
Don't quote me on that but it is what they are considering.

tbtc

Veteran Member

SuperOwl86

I thought these machines were for EMT i am sure they have being rolling these out across the network, think there was a pic of one at Mansfield not so long ago.

newbie babs

They do say on them "show your ticket here" but they are not working. Went and asked at the information desk and got a "what, not idea" so obviously they know a lot.

Established Member
Its a nice idea, but I'd have preferred the PTE to buy in a technology that works (Oyster), rather than trialling our own...

It will (should) be ITSO compliant so in effect will be just the same as Oyster. The passenger doesn't see much of the operations that a smartcard scheme involves, the backroom stuff is quite complicated and expensive to set up.

WillPS

Established Member
They had the machines on the 52 bus route in Sheffield, plus at the train station - http://www.flickr.com/photos/thebustocrookes/4199375639/ - usually with "out of order" signs written in German...

Its a nice idea, but I'd have preferred the PTE to buy in a technology that works (Oyster), rather than trialling our own...
As has been said, pretty much every smart card/door fob scheme use the same technology - Oyster is a bespoke setup for London - TfL are in the unique position of being both regulator and provider of services for the vast majority of journeys Oyster is available on. This means TfL, uniquely, has the ability to prescribe a ticketing system for the capital - every bus with the roundel on the front will use a TfL approved ticket machine, for example.

Non-TfL acceptance (e.g. TOCs other than LO) has been much slower.

SYPTE and WYPTE need a system that works from launch, and has to work with
1) the railways' ticketing systems (stations are managed by 4 separate companies across the area)
2) the ticketing systems Supertram use
3) the ticketing systems the several dozen bus companies in SY/WY use - some of which use more than one themselves!

SYPTE/WYPTE cannot tell the companies which machines to use, it has to work with them to make a compatible solution.

One day, the systems used by TfL, SY/WYPTE, Centro etc. etc. could theoretically be combined in to a nationwide Oyster - but each of them have very different infrastructures and arrangements with operators.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
so are the machines for Stagecoach or Yorcard and what is a yorcard by the way ?

No reason it can't be both.

brianthegiant

ITSO compatible scanners have also been installed in EMT East Midlands stations, not sure what the boundary of the EMT smartcard system will be though?
details about the EMT system seems hard to come by (ticket types, railcard compatibility, discounting, etc), frontline staff not briefed last time I asked.

One train manager I spoked to was particularly cynical about smartcards as he felt they tend to make things more complex in dealing with fare evaders (I have to admit to not fully understanding the particular scam he described).

Nonetheless, I remain quite positive about a possible EMT scheme, as someone who uses local train frequently but not regularly enough to buy any kind of season/weekly ticket.

Established Member
Not sure of the boundaries but the smartcart was being advertised as a generic Stagecoach one in their (EMT's) on board magazine.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
syorksdeano said:

We're not all unhelpful! :P

YorkshireBear

Established Member
We're not all unhelpful! :P

i agree whenever i have bought the SYPTE 4 weekly thing they were very helpful, one lady just happened to notice it was the day before my 19th birthday so i could still get the dicounted rate :) saved me a tenner, which i then went to york on :)

I would much prefer a smart card system to be honest. especially for yorkshire to as our public transport usage is woeful.

talltim

Established Member
They had the machines on the 52 bus route in Sheffield, plus at the train station - http://www.flickr.com/photos/thebustocrookes/4199375639/ - usually with "out of order" signs written in German...

Current Oyster isn't ITSO spec and will be changed soon. Mind you I wouldn't have used a company called Schiedt and Bachmann...

lyesbkz

Seems the scheme is up and running on EMT, I saw a great big banner early morning at Sheffield yesterday pointing me here, I signed up on my phone and today (already!) my 'Stagecoach Smart' card has arrived in the post.

However I must now have 3 or 4 different ITSO marked cards, I thought the idea was one card for everything(?) There's no mention of being able to use, say, 'The Key' on EMT? Or is that how it works?

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
However I must now have 3 or 4 different ITSO marked cards, I thought the idea was one card for everything(?) There's no mention of being able to use, say, 'The Key' on EMT? Or is that how it works?

That is the idea, yes.. Before use the EMT one, phone them up and speak to them saying that you've done some research into ITSO and would like to go down to the one card... could they cancel the new one and add to old one from XYZ Company :smile: Could be worth contacting the other providers to ask if they could transfer all products :smile:

TP

WestCoast

Established Member
Current Oyster isn't ITSO spec and will be changed soon. Mind you I wouldn't have used a company called Schiedt and Bachmann...

It was someone's surname pronounced "scheed"...;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
.However I must now have 3 or 4 different ITSO marked cards, I thought the idea was one card for everything(?) There's no mention of being able to use, say, 'The Key' on EMT? Or is that how it works?

I do fear that all these systems will just make things more complex and fragmented than they were before...

ALEMASTER

The readers at Sheffield station are for Stagecoach Smart, this is being rolled out for season tickets across Stagecoach rail and bus, will also be introduced on Supertram when the new ticket machines arrive.

http://www.stagecoachsmart.com/

lyesbkz

I tried to add my Stagecoach Smart card issued by EMT to my Stagecoach Bus account on the website (same card by the looks of it), to see what would happen, and was told that my card number was invalid :(

lyesbkz

Phone them up :smile:

Ah, there's not really much point anyway. I was just a bit curious. They haven't rolled out Smart on the buses in Sheffield yet, so I'm stuck with a paper ticket for now (and when they do, since my ticket needs to be shown with a form of photo ID -- in theory, as nobody ever asks for it -- they will probably exclude my ticket type from the Smart card.. unless they make a Photocard like the Key, and in that case I will need a new card anyway..!)

LCC106

Established Member
I asked the conductor on the Matlock to Derby on Saturday about the machine on Alfreton station. He advised that it was a smartcard machine but that he wasn't trained in how they work. He quickly added that they weren't in use yet and as a trade union member he was hoping they wouldn't be any time soon...

Yay! Just managed to attach my first pic!

Attachments

• 383708_220212978064911_100002286313767_496277_603784351_n.jpg
    383708_220212978064911_100002286313767_496277_603784351_n.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 21

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Oh dear. The end of split-ticketing (without having to get off the train) and buying further (without having to actually go there) is slowly approaching. ;)

lyesbkz

I asked the conductor on the Matlock to Derby on Saturday about the machine on Alfreton station. He advised that it was a smartcard machine but that he wasn't trained in how they work. He quickly added that they weren't in use yet and as a trade union member he was hoping they wouldn't be any time soon...

My nice little welcome leaflet from EMT thinks otherwise - it says Alfreton is one of the stations where they have already been enabled.

Also, you somehow managed to not get done by the Double Post Prevention System. Congratulations :D

I'm tempted to travel (from Sheffield) to Chesterfield on a Smartcard ticket, assuming there is a ticket check in that time and that the TVM will issue the ticket, to see what will happen. If the guard claims that they're not in use yet, I wonder what would happen to me..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.