• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New MD at Northern (not Arriva) announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Djgr

Established Member
Northern website says that David Brown has been replaced by Nick Donovan.
Impossible to imagine a scenario when the MD wouldn't have been told to "walk the plank".

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

talltim

Established Member
https://media.northernrailway.co.uk/news/new-md-will-lead-northern-under-public-ownership
New MD will lead Northern under public ownership
Northern Trains Limited has today announced that a new Managing Director will be at the helm of the company as it moves into public ownership.

From today, senior rail executive, Nick Donovan, joins Northern Trains as Managing Director. Mr Donovan is the independent Chair of the Network Performance Board and successfully led TransPennine Express from 2011-2015.

dutchflyer

Established Member
So how many other TOCs are in desperate need for a well-trained new director/CEO? In the transport industry it seems like footy/soccer: you simply shift places every 4-5 yrs or earlier when thing do not run very good.

CambrianCoast

I was under the impression that most MDs / CEOs went back to the parent company at the end of a franchise to either take over or start again on another franchise within a group?

allaction

So how many other TOCs are in desperate need for a well-trained new director/CEO? In the transport industry it seems like footy/soccer: you simply shift places every 4-5 yrs or earlier when thing do not run very good.
Exactly - Big Sam Allardyce must be gutted he missed out on this gig..

mpthomson

Northern website says that David Brown has been replaced by Nick Donovan.
Impossible to imagine a scenario when the MD wouldn't have been told to "walk the plank".

Common when someone new takes over any large organisation, wouldn't read too much into it.

quantinghome

Established Member
He was MD at Transpennine from 2011 to 2015 so he should know how to run a railway.

quantinghome

Established Member
TPE in that time window was hardly an excellent operation so that doesn't fill me with hope.

It's all relative I suppose. At this stage I'd take anyone who can run a basic railway service with average levels of cancellations and delays.

On the plus side in his time as MD, TPE managed to introduce a 5th train per hour between Leeds and Manchester and rolled out the new 350s on Manchester-Scotland, both without the timetable collapsing.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Does anyone else think Mr Donovan is being handed a poison chalice here? He's not just going to hit the ground running - he'll be diving in at the deep end then sprinting upwards!!!

hwl

Established Member
Does anyone else think Mr Donovan is being handed a poison chalice here? He's not just going to hit the ground running - he'll be diving in at the deep end then sprinting upwards!!!
I think DfT is aware that there are very few quick fixes and that the ball needs to start rolling on many medium and long term fixes many of which weren't as per the original franchise plan - hence easier to draw a line and allow more flexibility going forwards.
It will also be easier for the new individuals to say sorting X is going to take Y months longer and cost £Z more to actually make it happen, e.g. a dose of realism (in many area it seems the last 20% still needs to happen).

OLR warned DfT that it could struggle to do much better than Northern in most areas for quite a while so this is mostly about the medium term and beyond and being able to do things differently in that respect.

Gems

Winning over the staff would be a good start. Early days, but dealing with the uniform fiasco is better than nothing.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Winning over the staff would be a good start. Early days, but dealing with the uniform fiasco is better than nothing.
Have I missed a first day announcement from Nick Donovan about new uniforms?

Gems

Will they, or will the DOO fiasco restart?
Unlikely. I think they have a raft of issue to sort out. They'll need stability and lots of it. The last thing they will need is the public saying they preferred Arriva.

Have I missed a first day announcement from Nick Donovan about new uniforms?
Internally it has been noted that the uniform points system is a disaster.

LowLevel

Established Member
Unlikely. I think they have a raft of issue to sort out. They'll need stability and lots of it. The last thing they will need is the public saying they preferred Arriva.

Internally it has been noted that the uniform points system is a disaster.

We had a uniform points system when I started at our place. It was entirely theoretical and never really enforced in practice as it was unofficially acknowledged that if you buy cheap Chinese uniform it needs replacing more often :oops:

C J Snarzell

Established Member
North West Tonight ran an article about Northern on last night's show.

There was no mention of Nick Donovan, however Grant Shapps was in Manchester and when interviewed he stated top of the a agenda is cleanliness on carriages.

CJ

CHAPS2034

I was under the impression that most MDs / CEOs went back to the parent company at the end of a franchise to either take over or start again on another franchise within a group?

From Rail Advent
https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2020/0...ne-express-boss-as-government-takes-over.html

Robin Gisby, Chairman of Northern Trains and CEO of the public sector operator, DOHL, said:

“Nick’s widespread experience, leadership of TPE and his role as Chair of the industry’s National Performance Board has given him a first-class insight into all the issues and challenges we face, not just as Northern but for all operators across the Northern region.

“Given the current circumstances and environment we are operating in, I am very confident that Nick is the right person to lead the business going forward.

David Brown has faced some very difficult challenges during his time leading the Northern business. I have now asked David to move across to our holding company where we can explore other senior level opportunities and retain his skills and experience. We should all take this opportunity to acknowledge David’s significant contribution to the Northern Franchise over the last two and a half years.

“Our priority over the coming weeks will be to stabilise performance whilst continuing to deliver existing projects including the introduction of new trains. Over the next 100 days, we will push forward with a widespread review of the business and its operations to ensure that we can and will deliver the improvements that Northern’s passengers deserve.”

So watch out - Brown's still about within DOHL. Maybe Arriva didn't want him back?

Wonder where he will pitch up now? Perhaps someone can use his expertise at hiding from the press? Or how not to engage with your customers...?

Jobs for the boys anyone?

Last edited:

Staffordian

From Rail Advent
https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2020/0...ne-express-boss-as-government-takes-over.html

So watch out - Brown's still about within DOHL. Maybe Arriva didn't want him back?

Wonder where he will pitch up now? Perhaps someone can use his expertise at hiding from the press? Or how not to engage with your customers...?

Jobs for the boys anyone?
I would expect that David Brown (like other Northern staff) would have been given the choice of TUPE'ing over to DOHL or staying with Arriva. As Arriva have no obvious vacancies for an MD type role with Cross-Country, Chiltern, London Overground or Grand Central but DOHL potentially have numerous such roles coming up with the many TOCs in danger of default, it was probably a no-brainer !

Djgr

Established Member
Clearly it depends on whether he is regarded as an asset or liability.

Andyh82

Established Member
North West Tonight ran an article about Northern on last night's show.

There was no mention of Nick Donovan, however Grant Shapps was in Manchester and when interviewed he stated top of the a agenda is cleanliness on carriages.

CJ
It still very vague what Shapps soundbite means, as there are various ways to be cleaner

Are we talking roving cleaners picking up litter during the day, better cleaning at night, or proper deep cleans cleaning ground in dirt and stained seat covers?

1D53

Established Member
I would expect that David Brown (like other Northern staff) would have been given the choice of TUPE'ing over to DOHL or staying with Arriva
Noone had the option of staying with Arriva.

Status
Not open for further replies.