• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Method of Train Driver Assessment

Status
Not open for further replies.

DunfordBridge

I was reading a post by FlamTap on a closed thread regarding train driver assessment containing a link, http://youtu.be/mPe_l2XrEEc, to a video describing the ATAVT Adaptive Tachistoscopic Traffic Perception Test that is likely to appear in the new train driver assessments.

The video contains a few demonstration questions whereby a photo depicting a traffic scene is shown momentarily followed by a question asking which features were present in the photgraphed scene, such as road signs, traffic lights, vehicles and cyclists.

I was wondering if anyone has actually seen the video in question. As someone who has passed the advanced driving course with the Institute of Advanced Motorists, I actually found one of the photos quite tricky, which showed all four of these features (road signs, etc) simultaneously.

We were shown photos along these lines as part of the classroom training. Additionally, we would drive around chanting out speed limits and instructions on road signs but no amount of chanting, I feel, would prepare you for this image, not that I do much chanting these days. Basically, you are interpreting three-dimensional information from a two-dimensional image. The other images are considerably easier however.

I believe you can buy software to emulate this test from the ever-helpful How2Become people. My enthusiasm may be waning but I am not sure I would want to pay £37 for the software, particularly when I could avail myself of practice material quite self-sufficiently.

How hard can it be to take a few photographs of traffic scenes, all I need to do is to go around taking photos in the middle of Scarborough although ideally I would have to do this in territory that is not quite so familiar?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Captain Chaos

I think it is. All the details should be in here:

Link

It would appear that previous fails are null and void according to the document. I'm waiting for someone to get back to me and confirm this is the case for myself as my company is recruiting at the minute and I will certainly put my name down if I can.

Last edited:

DunfordBridge

I think it is. All the details should be in here:

Link

It would appear that previous fails are null and void according to the document. I'm waiting for someone to get back to me and confirm this is the case for myself as my company is recruiting at the minute and I will certainly put my name down if I can.

It is a very informative document, that one. Regarding the second strikes, I believed it was a recommendation and not necessary a hard and fast rule so you have probably done the right thing. I have enquired today with my local operator even though I have only just started serving my six month ban after rejection.

Is your alias a reference to the character in the classic Cannon Ball Run films by any chance? Probably would not be any good at that being an advanced driver as I would feel duty bound to stick to the speed limits, not bringing the IAM into disrepute, etc. Not quite sure if their policy extends to driving trains.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Thanks to Captain Chaos for providing the link to the latest issue of RIS-3751-TOM at http://www.rgsonline.co.uk/Railway_...il Industry Standards/RIS-3751-TOM Iss 2.pdf. Another link that could be of interest is http://www.rssb.co.uk/sitecollectiondocuments/pdf/reports/research/T948-summ-final.pdf.

It looks like the Group Bourdon and both parts of the TRP will be retained from the old system. The Group Bourdon seems to be augmented by the TEA-Occ test. I am not quite sure what similarity, if any, the WAFV will bear to the DTG test and the 2HAND co-ordination test seems completely new.

The ATAVT test seems to consist of photographs of traffic scenes. Brief glimpses of these photographs are followed by questions about salient road features contained within each photograph.

The CBI seems to have been replaced by the combination of the SJE and Multi-Modal Interview.

More information about some of tests can be obtained from one of the providers, Schufried GmbH at http://www.schuhfried.com/.

Last edited:

falcon

Can someone list what all the acronyms mean for the type of test used? Thanks.

Septus

Can someone list what all the acronyms mean for the type of test used? Thanks.

These were all done during my recent FGW Stage 1 assessment:

GB - Group Bourdon
TEA-Occ - Test of Everyday Attention
TRP - Trainability for rules and procedures
WCT - Written Communications Test

I think the Stage 2 consists of (I could be wrong):

WAFV - ?
ATAVT - ?
2 Hand Co-ordination Test
SJE - Situational Judgement Exercise
MMI - Multi-Modal Interview

DunfordBridge

I reckon WAFV and ATAVT will be acronyms for German words. Maybe the V in ATAVT stands for Verkehr - traffic. I would hazard a guess that V in WAFV stands for Vigilanz.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
I believe its an Austrian company who created these tests. In the one you do in stage 2 where you look at road signs the pictures are from around Vienna.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
One thing I found different when at OPC in Watford compared to when I sat the old assessments with Southern is that they wouldn't clarify if an incorrect answer on a multiple choice question would count as a minus score. E.g in the road sign screenshots with 3/4 present would you be better to err on the side of caution and put more down than potentially miss one out?

DunfordBridge

I believe its an Austrian company who created these tests. In the one you do in stage 2 where you look at road signs the pictures are from around Vienna.

I wonder if you can get Vienna on Google Streetview. Hopefully, the festive TV is going to be more compelling than that. Always meant go to Vienna.

Last edited:

david_VI

"G 2.7.2.3 The results of a psychometric assessment that was conducted according to
this rail industry standard should be regarded as valid for a period of five
years from the date of assessment, unless the candidate has had a major
life event (for examples see Appendix C of this document) that may have
caused a decrease in cognitive ability or a change in behavioural
tendencies."

Does this mean the pass lasts 5 years? Before I thought it was 2? and this only applies to the new tests?

Dynamonic

"G 2.7.2.3 The results of a psychometric assessment that was conducted according to
this rail industry standard should be regarded as valid for a period of five
years from the date of assessment, unless the candidate has had a major
life event (for examples see Appendix C of this document) that may have
caused a decrease in cognitive ability or a change in behavioural
tendencies."

Does this mean the pass lasts 5 years? Before I thought it was 2? and this only applies to the new tests?

I was told at my assessment by the test administrator that the new test passes do indeed last for five years. :D

DunfordBridge

I think that under the old system at least, the number of years of validity was open to interpretation by the operator commissioning the tests. I would hazard a guess at three years.

I have no idea what the status quo was before privatisation.

Status
Not open for further replies.