• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Mexico Mystery Railroad Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter KS

Recently I was travelling on a flight out of Albuquerque, New Mexico when I spotted an oval of railway track unexpectedly plonked down in the desert. It looked very like a simple layout of Hornby model railway track with some short sidings.

Later I searched for it on Google maps satellite images and found it. You can find it yourself. It is located about 8 miles due west of Double Eagle Airport which is west of Albuquerque.

I decided to do a 'Constance Babington Smith' (look her up on Google!) and enlarged the image as much as I could to see if I work out what was going on there. Is that a steam loco in the station? Is it a film set?

Who would build an oval of track in the desert? There does seem to a line heading off the south to join the BNSF main line. May be it is a military railway like Longmoor? For training they need an oval so you don't have to keep running around at terminii.

Searching the internet, I find nothing on maps of the New Mexico rail system (operating, disused and dismantled).

Any ideas ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Certainly looks like a film set, you can see there are also old-time coaches, a Western-style "main street" mock up and loads of vehicles, trucks, cherry pickers etc. I'm flying into ABQ on Saturday so I'll have a look out for it!

deltic1989

Established Member
it's probably some secret military training area. There's a lot of them round that way.

Not any more it isn't!:lol:

This springs to mind :lol:.

Back OT I have to agree that it look like a film set. There are a lot of big rigs hanging around and on the southern edge there appears to be a flat waggon with a camera rig on it. Also there are a fair few large looking motor homes around.

Or it could be where the American Strategic Steam Reserve is hidden.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
It's a film set. If you look towards the north of the cluster of buildings, you'll see some camera trucks with crane mounted camera jigs (and some cranes, which have a similar footprint). There are also a lot of back lot trailers too, presumably where actors and crew hang out.

The only film I can think of that might have used it is True Grit. There were a couple of sequences with characters boarding / disembarking a train at a small station with a wooden platform like the one at the bottom of the "town."

ntg

If you look to the south there is actually some filming taking place on the dislocated section of track! Lots of people standing around there.

Established Member
Definately recent. Been built within the last two years, according to different satellite images of the exact same coordinates.

Status
Not open for further replies.