• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Mills to Manchester

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llandudno

Established Member
New Mills boasts two railway stations, Newtown on the Buxton line and Central on the Hope Valley Line

The fares to Manchester, for some reason are different for each station, the Off peak day return fare from Newtown is around 70p cheaper than Central, no big deal, I know, but does this mean that you can’t travel to Manchester from one station and return to the other? Or is it acceptable provided you pay the higher fare from Central?

This may seem trivial but during the evening and on Sundays, also during times of Northern disruption it is handy to have both options available.

Another factor is that Central has a very steep walk to the actual town centre whilst Newtown station is at the top of the hill.
So it is easier to walk downhill to Central to board your Manchester bound train, whilst returning from Manchester to avoid the climb out of Central, Newtown maybe easier to use because it’s downhill to the town centre.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

plugwash

Established Member
There is a "walk" fixed link between the two stations and NRE seems to think it's valid to use a ticket from one of the stations to walk to the other and then catch a train. The tickets don't seem to have any break of journey restrictions so it seems you could skip out on walking to the station that your ticket is from.

What is puzzling me though is that NRE also seems to think it's valid to use "via stockport" tickets on journeys that don't go via stockport.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
What is puzzling me though is that NRE also seems to think it's valid to use "via stockport" tickets on journeys that don't go via stockport.

I seem to recall there being some sort of easement relating to that, though why they chose that approach instead of just changing the route to Any Permitted is anyone's guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.