• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New motors for old engines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffer68

I have a Triang "Princess Elizabeth" loco that I inherited from my father about 30 years ago. It has always been a bit sluggish and jerky. I thought a new motor might cure this. Any thoughts and suggestions on this would be gratefully received.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Ebay, try and get a 7 pole one, the more poles it has the better it works!

bangor-toad

Hi there,
If you want to keep the model pretty much the same, then the easy improvement is to get a new magnet for the motor. You can get them on E-bay quite easily and you can usually get 3 for about £12. I did this to my old Triang Princess Elizabeth and it did make an improvement.

To fit all you do is open up the model and you'll see the X04 motor inside. Carefully unscrew the rear screw and lift the motor out. You can then slide the magnet out the back of the motor. Slide the new magnet in and screw it all together.

Hey presto! It should run quite a lot better...

Word of warning: Watch out for the new magnets, they're quite powerful and if two bash together with your finger in the way it *will* hurt!
Cheers,
Jason

Buffer68

Hi there,
If you want to keep the model pretty much the same, then the easy improvement is to get a new magnet for the motor. You can get them on E-bay quite easily and you can usually get 3 for about £12. I did this to my old Triang Princess Elizabeth and it did make an improvement.

To fit all you do is open up the model and you'll see the X04 motor inside. Carefully unscrew the rear screw and lift the motor out. You can then slide the magnet out the back of the motor. Slide the new magnet in and screw it all together.

Hey presto! It should run quite a lot better...

Word of warning: Watch out for the new magnets, they're quite powerful and if two bash together with your finger in the way it *will* hurt!
Cheers,
Jason

Thanks for that Jason; I'll have a look on eBay and see what there is. At least the motor will be the original.
Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.