• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Northern Advance Fares Liverpool to Manchester

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowLevel

Established Member
I agree with your post almost entirely, but just couldn't help pointing out that the Northern service is actually quicker :p

View attachment 25008
(Image shows services Liverpool Lime Street to Manchester Piccadilly, NT 45mins, TP 47mins, EM 49 mins)

:lol::lol::lol:

I was mostly on about the CLC splutterbugs rather than the 319s that sail the Chat Moss but I'll take your point. :)

Gray1404 - giving the option of a 'boot en route' to wait for their booked train is generally what I do but I only work via the CLC route so if they've got a Chat Moss advance or they've gone to a point in the train that I don't get to until later on in the journey (if it's busier than normal I'll usually reach the last coach I check - not always the front, I hop around - after Warrington on the up) then I charge them regardless.

It's like split ticketers - I do appreciate them getting a good deal and I'll help them to get their tickets as they request but I also expect them therefore to get it right - so when it says on the new type of ticket 'valid on the below services only' with time, train, etc, they've paid 3 quid and it's the middle of rush hour, they'll be paying again sadly!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
I agree with your post almost entirely, but just couldn't help pointing out that the Northern service is actually quicker :p

View attachment 25008
(Image shows services Liverpool Lime Street to Manchester Piccadilly, NT 45mins, TP 47mins, EM 49 mins)

:lol::lol::lol:

Yet if you look at Oxford Road to Lime Street the TPE service is faster than the Northern service, despite the TPE service appearing to have 2 minutes additional padding between Edge Hill and Lime Street.

On paper the EMT service is slowest but if you're making a connection to/from another service it could be the fastest option.

kelv

My daughter has taken to shopping in Liverpool lately, going from N-le-W to Lime St.

Is there a difference in Northerns Prices for the Airport Train & the "Slow One," as she always tries to get the airport one due to taking about 1/2 the time, I keep telling her to make sure she doesn't get on the wrong train with the wrong ticket due to reading on here about RPI's and quite a common belief that if you're on the wrong train then that's nobodies fault but your own.

Last week btw the train they were getting home was delayed (broken train between edge hill & lime st or something) & whoever it was on the platform 1st told them to get on a train that was going to Warrington & then another that was going god knows where but it wasn't N-le-W.

It's like there are so many different prices of tickets just so folk can be caught out.

pemma

Veteran Member
It's like there are so many different prices of tickets just so folk can be caught out.

The real reason they exist is because if you buy an unrestricted ticket the revenue gets split between the 3 different operators but if you buy a restricted ticket it means the operator you travel with gets all the revenue.

kelv

The real reason they exist is because if you buy an unrestricted ticket the revenue gets split between the 3 different operators but if you buy a restricted ticket it means the operator you travel with gets all the revenue.

Is she fine getting on the faster airport train instead of the slower one ? or does she need a different ticket for that (at weekends usually)

PermitToTravel

Established Member
If she's going from Newton-le-Willows to Lime Street and has a ticket from Newton-le-Willows to Liverpool Stations then she can take any train.

Camden

Established Member
My daughter has taken to shopping in Liverpool lately, going from N-le-W to Lime St.

Is there a difference in Northerns Prices for the Airport Train & the "Slow One," as she always tries to get the airport one due to taking about 1/2 the time, I keep telling her to make sure she doesn't get on the wrong train with the wrong ticket due to reading on here about RPI's and quite a common belief that if you're on the wrong train then that's nobodies fault but your own.

Last week btw the train they were getting home was delayed (broken train between edge hill & lime st or something) & whoever it was on the platform 1st told them to get on a train that was going to Warrington & then another that was going god knows where but it wasn't N-le-W.

The issue generally only affects Advance tickets. A walk up ticket is generally valid by reasonable routes, and there is nothing complicated about Newton's services.

One thing that might be of interest though, if she's a recent traveller, is knowing that Newton Le Willows is in the Liverpool travel zone A1. This means that instead of an anytime return costing £6.80, she could ask for an all areas Saveaway for £5.20, which will allow unlimited travel on any train, bus or ferry throughout the entire city area (plus trains to Chester)!

http://www.merseytravel.gov.uk/travelling-around/Documents/Detailed_zones.pdf
http://www.merseytravel.gov.uk/Tickets/compare-tickets/Pages/Saveaway.aspx

Last edited:

kelv

The issue generally only affects Advance tickets. A walk up ticket is generally valid by reasonable routes, and there is nothing complicated about Newton's services.

One thing that might be of interest though, if she's a recent traveller, is knowing that Newton Le Willows is in the Liverpool travel zone A1. This means that instead of an anytime return costing £6.80, she could ask for an all areas Saveaway for £5.20, which will allow unlimited travel on any train, bus or ferry throughout the entire city area (plus trains to Chester)!

http://www.merseytravel.gov.uk/travelling-around/Documents/Detailed_zones.pdf
http://www.merseytravel.gov.uk/Tickets/compare-tickets/Pages/Saveaway.aspx

think she only pays half of that for a kids ticket

which is why she goes L'pool instead of Manc

Status
Not open for further replies.