• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Northern crew depots at Blackburn and Bradford?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew32

Hi,

I have heard a few rumours recently regarding Northern (Arriva Rail North) opening up two new depots in Blackburn and Bradford to cope with the extra services planned.

Is this true or just another fictional story?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

driver9000

Established Member
Blackburn has been on the cards for years, unit stabling should be on the refurbished former King Street petrol/oil sidings.

Andrew32

Thanks for the replies guys.

I came across the other thread after I posted this one, I've emailed hr for more information.

Established Member
Internal bulletin recently about recruitment for Blackburn crew depot plus vacancies soon to be advertised.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
What happened to the site of the old Bradford Hammerton Street MPD? From memory it closed some time in the early 1980's. Could it be reused?

Andrew32

Internal bulletin recently about recruitment for Blackburn crew depot plus vacancies soon to be advertised.

I haven't seen this bulletin but have been on AL for a month, was there mention of conductor vacancies?

lejog

Established Member
Hi,

I have heard a few rumours recently regarding Northern (Arriva Rail North) opening up two new depots in Blackburn and Bradford to cope with the extra services planned.

Is this true or just another fictional story?

Blackburn, Wigan and somewhere in Manchester, likely Guide Bridge according to the Franchise Agreement,

The Franchisee shall procure the provision of a new fully operational and commissioned stabling facility in the Manchester area (which shall be additional to the planned facilities at Wigan and Blackburn referred to in the IAD) appropriately connected to the network of Network Rail by no later than 31 May 2019. The Franchisee shall fully and effectively co-operate with Network Rail to review and optimise Network Rail’s existing proposals for new stabling at Guide Bridge and at other potentially suitable sites with a view to identifying the scheme location and design that delivers best whole-industry value for money.

class 9

What happened to the site of the old Bradford Hammerton Street MPD? From memory it closed some time in the early 1980's. Could it be reused?

No mate it couldn't. It was completely demolished in the early 90s and redeveloped, it is now a BUS depot!

Andrew32

Do we assume that the jobs at Blackburn will be transferred from Manchester Victoria and Blackpool North?

Maybe, however, the vacated posts at Man Vic and Blackpool would still need to be filled, also I have been told on numerous occasions from Leeds crews that Man Vic are short atm and Leeds are covering on a regular basis, wether that is true or not I'm unsure.

snowball

Established Member
Not sure if there's a more recent thread for this press release:

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/feeds...find-out-more-about-latest-work-at-new-depot/

The latest phase of work to construct the facility at Blackburn begins later this month with drainage, track and signalling work being carried out between now and Friday 10 February. Most work will be carried out during the day; however some work will be completed between 10pm and 6am.

Staff will be holding a drop-in session on Thursday 19 January between 4pm and 7pm at St Wilfrid’s Church of England Academy, meeting room 8, 3 Towers Court, Duckworth Street, Blackburn BB2 2JR. Staff will be on hand to explain the work and to answer any questions that residents may have.

Foggycorner

on my way into blackburn from bolton today new train washer is up and most of the new lines seem to be in place with work being carried out on new signalling for entrance and exit of the depot from the loop next to the preston lines

Geeves

Established Member
Quite an exciting time for Blackburn having gone from a busy station to somewhat of a backwater and back again!

The train crew depot is on one floor of the new office building over the road from the station. Very nice it will be too, certainly the most modern staff facility on Northern metals by a long way.

Last edited:

Bantamzen

Established Member

Good to see the same quality of respondants on that publication as seen elsewhere on other online newspapers. May favourtite comment from there so far:

Wasn't Arriva supposed to take over the rail contracts in Blackburn. Looks like northern fail have wormed their way back in. Good news about jobs though.

Taxi for bower..... (Well he obviously doesn't like the train) :D

furnessvale

Established Member
Not really a press release, more a Newsquest interpretation which if taken literally means Newton Heath is closing and there won't be 319s in the North West for much longer.

Could that really be true, that a TOC has finally realised that big city depots do not work?

Recruitment of labour and quality outcomes are easier to obtain in smaller depots in small towns, where there is less competition for labour.

Accrington and Buxton always maintained units better than Newton Heath and Longsight. Indeed, it was standard practice for the main depot to routinely swap units with its satellite to bring in the better maintained units and make the satellite bring ex main depot units up to scratch. Newton Heath, in particular, had too good a sideline going, servicing taxis on night shift, to be bothered looking at DMUs.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Could that really be true, that a TOC has finally realised that big city depots do not work?

Recruitment of labour and quality outcomes are easier to obtain in smaller depots in small towns, where there is less competition for labour.

Accrington and Buxton always maintained units better than Newton Heath and Longsight. Indeed, it was standard practice for the main depot to routinely swap units with its satellite to bring in the better maintained units and make the satellite bring ex main depot units up to scratch. Newton Heath, in particular, had too good a sideline going, servicing taxis on night shift, to be bothered looking at DMUs.

One of the "drivers" of closing small depots was the very high cost of the local train crew supervisors , often highly graded with all sorts of enhancements and overtime arrangements. Several decades of change have either made local supervision salaried , or removed them. Remote booking on did not feature in many places before 1996.

I like the comment on taxi overhauls on nightshifts , I recall handling a disciplinary appeal on similar grounds, apart from formal discipline , the individuals were put on day shift , under direct control of the depot manager. Reduced their income substantially.

northwichcat

Veteran Member

If it's really true then Northern will need to acquire more facilities. The planning application for Blackburn depot indicates it'll be a fraction of the size of Newton Heath and they need to rehouse the DMUs which will become homeless by Allerton giving up the 156s in favour of more EMUs.

Moonshot

Established Member

Why do big city depots not work?? Surely maintainance facilities need to be close to where all the action is in terms of trains starting and finishing services? Newton Heath has been where it is for countless years ....your comment about taxis is a load of rubbish...that has never happened.

furnessvale

Established Member
Why do big city depots not work?? Surely maintainance facilities need to be close to where all the action is in terms of trains starting and finishing services? Newton Heath has been where it is for countless years ....your comment about taxis is a load of rubbish...that has never happened.

Apparently, Chief Planner has direct knowledge of this practice, and MY source for this info is impeccable.

You'll be telling me next that taxis didn't fuel up at Newton Heath either!

Last edited:

YorkshireBear

Established Member

Well actually. In a morning you want earlier services into the city. And in an evening you want later services out of the city. So having the depots aware from the centres makes more sense in that respect.

Of course that sort of thing happened.

Moonshot

Established Member
Apparently, Chief Planner has direct knowledge of this practice, and MY source for this info is impeccable.

You'll be telling me next that taxis didn't fuel up at Newton Heath either!

Dear me your source for this is impeccable ???? Im actually on site and I can categorically say your spouting rubbish.

Status
Not open for further replies.