• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Northern Rail services seem much cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.

anti-pacer

Established Member
I have used one of my complimentary Northern vouchers today and it seems Northern under the new franchisee is a much different place.

I have travelled on 4 trains and every one has been almost spotless apart from the odd Metro paper. Between Leeds and Manchester Victoria the guard actually moved any litter he saw. The train from Manchester Piccadilly to Stoke was being cleaned at the station, and I'm on the 1817 waiting to leave Nottingham at the moment, and whilst it hasn't been cleaned here it seems very tidy.

Long may this continue. I've actually enjoyed travelling on the New Northern today.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jonfun

Established Member
I agree. I've seen the Train Presentation Operatives travelling on board trains doing litter picks now mid journey which is an improvement.

pemma

Veteran Member
Northern Railway I think. I could be wrong.

Arriva Rail North t/a Northern. northernrailway.co.uk was just a suitable domain name available - northern.co.uk was already taken
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I agree. I've seen the Train Presentation Operatives travelling on board trains doing litter picks now mid journey which is an improvement.

Formally known as Rubbish Collectors or/and Cleaners?

Nick82

TPO's (Train Presentation Operatives) are not a new thing within Northern. Maybe in your local area but they have been around North East England and Leeds area for a while. Maybe it's the case of you've had a lucky experience lol. As for the Northern franchise, as mentioned already Northern Rail no longer exist. It's Arriva Rail North Ltd operating under the rebranded Northern brand.

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Another thread on litter :(

As has been suggested above the new cleaning regimen has been in place for some time and despite the protestations of the op most northern trains I use ( like the one tonight out of Leeds) seem to be in decent condition

Mobile or turn around cleaning is the best way to keep on top of litter - LM could do with some at Euston and/or better recycling bins for metros and coffee cups

(It is a good job the op doesn't see those trains!!!!)

anti-pacer

Established Member
Another thread on litter :(

As has been suggested above the new cleaning regimen has been in place for some time and despite the protestations of the op most northern trains I use ( like the one tonight out of Leeds) seem to be in decent condition

Mobile or turn around cleaning is the best way to keep on top of litter - LM could do with some at Euston and/or better recycling bins for metros and coffee cups

(It is a good job the op doesn't see those trains!!!!)

Well to be honest, following another person's thread regarding litter on trains, we know this isn't a subject that bothers you, and seemingly an issue that you contribute to.

I was actually praising Northern because quite often their trains HAVEN'T been great.

I'm quite happy to engage in discussion with you, but please do not try and belittle me because you're not interested in this particular subject. I don't moan about the subjects you post.

Darandio

Established Member

To be fair, this was happening in the previous franchise as well. I guess it just depends where you travel.

anti-pacer

Established Member
To be fair, this was happening in the previous franchise as well. I guess it just depends where you travel.

Would the new franchisee necessarily have to carry it on though?

I have seen TPO's before but I've seen a lot more today.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Well to be honest, following another person's thread regarding litter on trains, we know this isn't a subject that bothers you, and seemingly an issue that you contribute to.

I was actually praising Northern because quite often their trains HAVEN'T been great.

I'm quite happy to engage in discussion with you, but please do not try and belittle me because you're not interested in this particular subject. I don't moan about the subjects you post.

Odd, don't you think, that while may I not belittle you it seems you are free to cast aspersions about me willy nilly. I have admitted in the past to being, unlike you, less than perfect and shockingly on occasion may have left an empty coffee cup on a train table. Some of us are merely human and I know that birching is too good for the likes of me

I was trying to point out that other TOCs could benefit from a similar cleaning regimen employed by northern and that northern isn't that bad. I am sure that, expert as you are on the subject of litter, you will have seen ( as I have) how some trains run by lm could do with mobile cleaning considering how small the bins are and how busy the trains get

Last edited:

anti-pacer

Established Member
Odd, don't you think, that while may I not belittle you it seems you are free to cast aspersions about me willy nilly. I have admitted in the past to being, unlike you, less than perfect and shockingly on occasion may have left an empty coffee cup on a train table. Some of us are merely human and I know that birching is too good for the likes of me

I was trying to point out that other TOCs could benefit from a similar cleaning regimen employed by northern and that northern isn't that bad. I am sure that, expert as you are on the subject of litter, you will have seen ( as I have) how some trains run by lm could do with mobile cleaning considering how small the bins are and how busy the trains get

I haven't honestly seen any TOC worse than Northern in the past, although in fairness I haven't travelled into London in the peaks for a long while.

I will agree that Northern have stepped up its game somewhat. It's just nice to travel on clean trains, and that is all I want.

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
Mobile TPOs on Northern trains is nothing new, they've been around for years. However the frequency of their appearances has certainly been inconsistent. I would suggest that as many of them used not to be directly employed but worked for a contractor that the pay was likely poor and therefore staff turnover quite high. Not very likely that a cleaning contractor would maintain high levels of spare staff so if a couple leave then the mobile jobs go uncovered until new recruits arrive.

I totally agree though that Conductors can help by shifting the "clean" litter from seats and tables when possible. Was certainly my habit when I did the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.