• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New notice at Eastleigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSlash

Established Member
Anybody else seen the new notice London end of the Pompey loop at Eastleigh? 8-)
Sounds like my concerns didnt fall on deaf ears

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Oracle

Established Member
I assume that the notice relates to enthusiasts? Sorry if I am 1000% wrong! Some months ago I and my kids (10/16/20) were watching the goings-on from the multi-storey car park across the road from Eastleigh station. We could see anout four guys on the Up platform, perfectly well behaved etc. However Mr Pratt (let's call him that) who really should know better decided to do his own thing and walk, with his camera, to the works end and then off the platform ramp. Pix were taken. He then quietly returned to the original position with the others. Needless to say a member of staff then quickly appeared and purposely strolled down to the group and presumably in no uncertain terms made his views known. Mr Pratt looked extremely sheepish after that..after all Mr Staff had made a beeline for him and the knowledge that he was being zoomed in on was a joy to behold. I of course told my kids not to trespass on the railway, and not to go off-platform. Forty years of being on railway platforms as an enthusiast gives you a healty respect for rules, regulations, safety and not upsetting the station people.

Metroland

Established Member
Well some enthusiasts. There is of course a minority that hardly travel by train, the sort that turn up to preserved railways to take pics but never ride on the railway (anyone see the irony?). Or even those that travel everywhere not buying a ticket...

eos

Sounds a reasonable request , but then so is a request for SWT to provide bins for the rubbish...

They have just made Petersfield station a Level 2 which means no bins, a country town under threat of terrorist, i dont think so

that sign has been there a few months now
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Eastleigh has bins on the platforms, i blame the chavs for the rubbish, hang the lot of them

thefab444

Established Member
Its not entirely breaking news; that sign has been there since August.

It is rather poorly, inadequately, badly etc. worded, yes. :lol:

TheSlash

Established Member
Its not entirely breaking news; that sign has been there since August.

It is rather poorly, inadequately, badly etc. worded, yes. :lol:

My deepest apologies for not spotting the notice sooner, but not being part of the Eastleigh massive, i don't often find myself at the London end of the Pompey loop.
I think the notice should also state that before entering the station, individuals should be able to produce proof of having had a wash within the last month.

thefab444

Established Member
My deepest apologies for not spotting the notice sooner, but not being part of the Eastleigh massive, i don't often find myself at the London end of the Pompey loop.
I think the notice should also state that before entering the station, individuals should be able to produce proof of having had a wash within the last month.

Calm down! I hope none of those comments were directed at me? :lol:

LucaZone

I think its been written very cleverly actually. Call me paranoid if you will, but I read that notice as:

Rail Enthusiasts ..... your rubbish

The middle and the word customer were added to cover the true meaning, but it read clear to me :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Whilst I agree with the sentiment, that has to be one of the worst constructed sentences I've ever seen!

That sentence was appalingly wrote. Don't people proof-read their documents? I could knock out a better document than that in less than a minute without effort.

But nevertheless, it makes a good point. However, it is questionable as to how obvious it is, as I went there a couple of times in late August and I didn't see that notice.

And yes, I did take my rubbish with me. I think I left it in bins on the relevant Desiro bashes. As for the washing within a month prior to my visits, I can assure Mr. TheSlash that washing is a high priority and washed thoroughly before going onto third rail territory!

Nick W

Established Member
I think its been written very cleverly actually. Call me paranoid if you will, but I read that notice as:

Rail Enthusiasts ..... your rubbish

The middle and the word customer were added to cover the true meaning, but it read clear to me :)

I read it that way as well.

Rather reminds me of certain languages where ideas are emphasised by putting them at the beginning or end of sentences.

On the other hand, what happens if you can't find a bin anywhere?

adambro

On the other hand, what happens if you can't find a bin anywhere?

Obviously not having bins at stations is understandable, it does make it very difficult when it comes to disposing of the litter generated from buying items on the station itself.

On a number of occasions I've ended up leaving cardboard coffee cups on seats etc due to simply not having anything else to do with them but anything which I can stuff into pockets or bags is taken with me. As a customer, I think it is acceptable to a degree but I'd hope that if you visited a station as a leisure activity you'd be able to make arrangements to remove anything yourself rather than relying on station staff.

Hentis

At Poole we have clear plastic bags on some sort of rubber loop that gets used bt passengers about 75% of them. It would be nice if SWT put bins like that up there (and a seat) for when we get the good weather as well.
Most of my rubbish (eep) goes trackside or in my bag for when I get on the train home!!!

Cheers

Hentis

pedned

I think its perfectly acceptable to be expected to take your rubbish with you if there's no bins around...
But I also deem having a platform / station shop and no bins to dispose of packaging etc. from that shop inacceptable.

I have on occasion left packaging on platforms, but I leave where its not too hard for station staff doing the rounds to get at, EG. Not down drains or wedged in between pipes and the wall...

Status
Not open for further replies.