• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New OHLE portals on the Midland Main Line (just a few)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edvid

Established Member
Four of them replaced headspans in Borehamwood out of necessity, though I presume the other headspans won't be replaced for years (if ever).

What type of portals are they - MK3, UK1 or NR1? I've attached a picture for reference.

Attachments

• New OHLE portal Borehamwood1.png
    New OHLE portal Borehamwood1.png
    338.5 KB · Views: 385
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ilkestonian

Four of them replaced headspans in Borehamwood out of necessity, though I presume the other headspans won't be replaced for years (if ever).

What type of portals are they - MK3, UK1 or NR1? I've attached a picture for reference.

Not sure, but those are the first I've seen with lamps strung between them :D

fsmr

Not sure, but those are the first I've seen with lamps strung between them :D

Wow you just got a shot of the rare linear UFO phenomena :D

They look quite a substantial structure, obviously experience and evolution from the previous

asylumxl

Established Member
I noticed this a week or two ago. There's a few new bits a tad further north as well. I assume to increase the robustness of the OHLE, since the wires have been taken down more than a few times between Radlett and Borehamwood.

P.S. Thank you for not calling it Elstree

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

I may stand corrected, but the designation Mk3, UK1 etc refers to the small part equipment, registration arms, insulators, etc, and not the masts.

CP165

I assume to increase the robustness of the OHLE

I've seen bits and pieces along the GWML between Paddington and Airport Junction, also presumably to increase robustness in preparation for Crossrail and GW services going electric.

Edvid

Established Member
Came across this today:
http://www.jamesclappison.co.uk/content/network-rail-work-update

It doesn't mention the designation, but it clarifies why the Borehamwood works are taking place.
Network Rail said:
The work will involve piling to create foundations for over-head power lines that are currently failing and require urgent attention.
There are some outstanding piling works and the overall programme will not finish until August.

Last edited:

londonmidland

Established Member
Just departed Elstree & Borehamwood going St Pancras direction and it looks like Network Rail are putting up a few more between Elstree and Borehamwood and Mill Hill Broadway.

Status
Not open for further replies.