• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New over-60s Oyster - can I use it now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shimbleshanks

My 60th birthday is at the end of December. I applied for an over-60s Oyster card as suggested by the TfL website a fortnight before and it has just arrived in the post. The accomanying letter says "you should start to use it immediately". Does that mean I can get the free travel already, even though I'm not 60 until a couple of weeks time?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

calopez

My 60th birthday is at the end of December. I applied for an over-60s Oyster card as suggested by the TfL website a fortnight before and it has just arrived in the post. The accomanying letter says "you should start to use it immediately". Does that mean I can get the free travel already, even though I'm not 60 until a couple of weeks time?
Yes - I did when I got mine :D

tom73

Yes it works. Most RPI's take one look and don't even bother scanning it.

Shimbleshanks

Well, yes, I'd imagine that any RPI's interest would only extend to whether the card scans OK; they're not going to ask you to produce evidence of your age in the middle of a crowded train.
CL

londonbridge

Established Member
My credit card expiry date is end 01/20. I got an email from the provider saying the new card was on its way. “When it arrives you can go ahead and cut up the old one”. New card arrives, “valid from” date is 02/20. Accompanying letter says “You can start using it from the date stated on your card”.......I haven’t cut the old one up yet.

Usually when a card is replaced there is a month or two overlap between the start date of the new one and the expiry date of the old. Last time my debit card was changed I put it on the sideboard then kept forgetting to put it in my wallet and carried on using the old one, which stopped working about two weeks before it’s actual expiry date.

DY444

I'm talking about lawfulness rather than whether it's questioned.

When I received my 60+ Oyster I phoned TfL to confirm that I could in fact use it immediately even though I was 10 days short of my 60th birthday. They said that I could and that it was valid from the date it was issued (which was a couple of days before I received it in the post).

Status
Not open for further replies.