• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

najaB

Veteran Member
Would you say it is normal for a modern smart phone to not be able to cope with Facebook, Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp? Those and nothing else or in my case not even all three?
Nope, not really.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

takno

Established Member
Yeah I follow that. Would you say it is normal for a modern smart phone to not be able to cope with Facebook, Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp? Those and nothing else or in my case not even all three?
Running out of storage for just those apps is pretty much unheard of on a phone that's less than about 4 years old. The memory the apps are stored in is usually the same pool as your photos are stored in now, so taking some photos off the phone should help.

I've currently got whatsapp using 67mb (I have single photos that large). If you are in a lot of groups which share photos I guess that could go up if lots of history is stored. On the other hand updating the app shouldn't cause any massive issues

Facebook and Facebook messenger apps are both pretty large (something like 80mb each plus data). I've also found on my old Moto G that just by being installed they slowed the phone down *massively*. I've switch to the lite version of messenger (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.facebook.mlite&hl=en_GB) which uses about a quarter of the storage and gets rid of a lot of features that I found irritating. I've removed the Facebook app altogether and just use it in the phone browser which is alright, but there is also a lite version of the Facebook app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.facebook.lite) which you could try out.

BlueFox

Yeah I follow that. Would you say it is normal for a modern smart phone to not be able to cope with Facebook, Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp? Those and nothing else or in my case not even all three?

There's probably stuff in your phone's memory that can be deleted, to make space for apps.
If you add a memory card set up to install apps on, and doing a factory reset (making sure you've backed up important data first), then reinstall your apps, you shouldn't have the same problems.

E_Reeves

Established Member
My Samsung A3 takes stunning photos and videos and wasn't too expensive. Definitely a phone brand that I won't be steering away from in the future.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I always loved my HTC One, but truthfully their newer stuff doesn't seem that good or that cheap. You didn't get the bloatware of other phones though.

I'm now on a Samsung Galaxy A5 and think it's pretty good, though this is the older one not the new one.

EM2

Established Member
My Samsung A3 takes stunning photos and videos and wasn't too expensive. Definitely a phone brand that I won't be steering away from in the future.
I also have an A3 which has 16GB of storage, to which I have added a 64GB SD card. However, many apps can't be stored on the SD card, and with the massive amount of pre-installed Samsung software that I never use taking up room, I'm running out of space.

E_Reeves

Established Member
I also have an A3 which has 16GB of storage, to which I have added a 64GB SD card. However, many apps can't be stored on the SD card, and with the massive amount of pre-installed Samsung software that I never use taking up room, I'm running out of space.
I've had that problem too. I ended up backing up my photos and videos to the cloud and removing them from the device itself, and now I have a couple GB to spare.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I've had that problem too. I ended up backing up my photos and videos to the cloud and removing them from the device itself, and now I have a couple GB to spare.

Backing up to Google Photos is a good idea anyway, as you can then search for images really easily, and always have them safe. You can also download to backup on a flash drive/external HDD via Google Drive if you so require.

If you ever lose your phone, you can have everything backed up so you won't really care. Contacts, emails, appointments, photos, video and app data all in the cloud.

And of course more space because Google Photos will only delete what has been backed up, so you can afford to let it do its thing.

fowler9

Established Member
Running out of storage for just those apps is pretty much unheard of on a phone that's less than about 4 years old. The memory the apps are stored in is usually the same pool as your photos are stored in now, so taking some photos off the phone should help.

I've currently got whatsapp using 67mb (I have single photos that large). If you are in a lot of groups which share photos I guess that could go up if lots of history is stored. On the other hand updating the app shouldn't cause any massive issues

Facebook and Facebook messenger apps are both pretty large (something like 80mb each plus data). I've also found on my old Moto G that just by being installed they slowed the phone down *massively*. I've switch to the lite version of messenger (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.facebook.mlite&hl=en_GB) which uses about a quarter of the storage and gets rid of a lot of features that I found irritating. I've removed the Facebook app altogether and just use it in the phone browser which is alright, but there is also a lite version of the Facebook app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.facebook.lite) which you could try out.
Many thanks for all the advice.
There's probably stuff in your phone's memory that can be deleted, to make space for apps.
If you add a memory card set up to install apps on, and doing a factory reset (making sure you've backed up important data first), then reinstall your apps, you shouldn't have the same problems.
That's brilliant. Thank you.

ComUtoR

Established Member
I'm not sure that you did - you might have got a good price for a S9 but I'm not convinced that it's a deal. There are better phones available for less money.

What makes you say that ?

I'm in the market for a new dog n bone and saw a 'deal' today for an S9. £180 up front £23pcm

I've never been a Samsung fan and Phones tbh I think are a scam and a half. but £23 a month is decent for a well rated phone.

cactustwirly

Established Member

I'm in the market for a new dog n bone and saw a 'deal' today for an S9. £180 up front £23pcm

I've never been a Samsung fan and Phones tbh I think are a scam and a half. but £23 a month is decent for a well rated phone.

Have you looked at buying a handset outright & then getting a SIM only contract?
It usually ends up being cheaper.

najaB

Veteran Member
This, exactly. They are, IMO, overpriced for what they are. There are lesser known brands that give better value for money. It's like getting a good deal on a Mac - yes, it might be a good deal but you're still paying the 'Apple Tax'.

BlueFox

There are lesser known brands that give better value for money.

I'm a big fan of Xiaomi. I've got a Xiaomi Redmi Note 4X at the moment. £120. Great battery life, 3GB/32GB, 5.5" screen, well made, Decent camera. The same spec from the likes of Sony or Samsung would probably cost twice as much.

radamfi

Established Member

Is that a 2 year contract? If so then that phone was really £30.50 a month and will cost £732 in total.

ComUtoR

Established Member
This, exactly. They are, IMO, overpriced for what they are. There are lesser known brands that give better value for money. It's like getting a good deal on a Mac - yes, it might be a good deal but you're still paying the 'Apple Tax'.

It still doesn't address the elephant in the post. What is considered 'value' for money and which phones, as you say, are better ?

Yes its a 2yr contract and I'm currently on a sim only £16pcm. I bought my last phone (Nokia 830) for £199 as the idiot on Carphonewarehouse made a mistake. (£299) actual price. Over what I pay now it makes it £348 for the S9.

I don't NEED a new phone but I'm on a windows phone and its time to move on :(

The Hawawawiaiwiaiwiaii thing is ok and I've had them in the past but even they have gone down the £700+ market. I hate phones they really are taking consumers for a huge ride. I'm a little gutted about Windows phone dying a terrible ad prolonged death and I love the platform and the Nokia. Android/Apple is a rock and a hard place :/

najaB

Veteran Member
It still doesn't address the elephant in the post. What is considered 'value' for money and which phones, as you say, are better ?
Huawei and Xiaomi are two brands I highly recommend. Even the P20 that you refer to is available at a not-insignificant discount over a Samsung - the P20 Lite is available around the £330 price point SIM free.

fowler9

Established Member
I just got a Moto G5. Got a pretty good contract and a micro SD thrown in. Couldn't afford to buy a handset outright.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I'm a big fan of Xiaomi. I've got a Xiaomi Redmi Note 4X at the moment. £120. Great battery life, 3GB/32GB, 5.5" screen, well made, Decent camera. The same spec from the likes of Sony or Samsung would probably cost twice as much.
I think my big issue with buying from them is that they are not exactly established in the UK, you have to import them in and install basic apps to the phone such as Google, however I do agree that they are rather excellent value for money.
Sam

BlueFox

I think my big issue with buying from them is that they are not exactly established in the UK, you have to import them in and install basic apps to the phone such as Google, however I do agree that they are rather excellent value for money.

I've not had to install the Google apps on my Xiaomi phones, they were already there. Maybe it's because I bought the global versions. I don't think the ones for the Chinese market come with Google apps.

I bought the Redmi Note 4x from an Irish importer on eBay. I could have saved maybe £20 if I'd bought it directly from China, but I needed it in a hurry. And for £120 it was better than anything I could have bought for that price from the likes of Carphone Warehouse.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I bought a Wileyfox Swift 2 Plus from Amazon last July. I'm somewhat hesitant to recommend it as I had an issue early-on when the phone completely ran out of charge, then it completely refused to start up afterwards. However, when I emailed their support team, they swiftly replied saying "send it back, we'll fix it", which suggested to me that it was a known issue. A couple of weeks later the phone came back and, touch wood, I haven't had any further issues since. My only gripe was that I paid for the postage to return it to them, but I managed to get a free case out of them to compensate. This is my first "proper" smartphone (my first attempt was the ZTE Open C with FirefoxOS), so I don't really have much to compare it with, to be honest, but it does the job for me.

£150 outright, and I use it with my 3 PAYG sim, which I top up with the odd tenner every 3 months. I make few calls, send few texts, and data usage is largely covered by wifi these days, so it costs me very little to run.

sk688

The Samsung S7 is available from just £399 unlocked nowadays, for what is still a very good phone with a 1440p screen and good camera

Alternatively if you find that too old , the Samsung s8 has seen price drops too , and you could see some around for £500 . It'll make transfers from your s6 easier too , using the Smart Switch app

From the iOs side , the iPhone 7 is becoming more affordable , whereas the 7+ now costs the same as an 8 , and is better value due to portrait mode and the dual cam

nlogax

Established Member
The Nokia 7 Plus arrives in the UK next week. Ordered mine weeks ago and can't wait to receive it. £350 unlocked but it'll likely drop to £300 in short order. Worth keeping an eye on. Between the feature list and the reported high-end feel everything about it looks like a bargain.

jon0844

Veteran Member

Yes its a 2yr contract and I'm currently on a sim only £16pcm. I bought my last phone (Nokia 830) for £199 as the idiot on Carphonewarehouse made a mistake. (£299) actual price. Over what I pay now it makes it £348 for the S9.

I don't NEED a new phone but I'm on a windows phone and its time to move on :(

The Hawawawiaiwiaiwiaii thing is ok and I've had them in the past but even they have gone down the £700+ market. I hate phones they really are taking consumers for a huge ride. I'm a little gutted about Windows phone dying a terrible ad prolonged death and I love the platform and the Nokia. Android/Apple is a rock and a hard place :/

There's the Honor 10 on the horizon with many of the P20 (not P20 Pro) features for a much lower price.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Huawei and Xiaomi are two brands I highly recommend.

OK but for once I am actually able to afford a nogs dob phone so want a proper brand not some cut price Chinese knock off. I am sick of buying second hand phones off blokes in a pub or some cut price copy of something decent with insufficient memory to run more than 4 applications.

I bought it on a 24 month contract with a free upgrade after that time with £85 upfront. I see it as spreading the cost of the phone over that period. Total cost including the cost of the SIM/line is only slightly more than paying for the phone upfront and continuing on my ancient pay and go arrangement. I get free calls and texts all day and 35gb of data which should be more than enough.

As an aside i have changed supplier as i was very dissapointed with EE and their offers. As a long standing customer i expected them to be competitive and keen to keep my business. They weren't. O2 were.

najaB

Veteran Member
OK but for once I am actually able to afford a nogs dob phone so want a proper brand not some cut price Chinese knock off.
The brands mentioned above aren't 'Chinese knock offs', they are high-quality devices. The P20 Pro is possibly the best phone on the market at the moment.

radamfi

Established Member
If you get a Moto G5, then it may well be worth getting the dual SIM option. This enables you to use separate SIM cards for calls/texts and data. Cheap SIM cards for data can be got from Amazon or eBay, for example 6 GB on EE for 90 days for about £18 or 12 GB on Three for a year for about £27.

jon0844

Veteran Member
The brands mentioned above aren't 'Chinese knock offs', they are high-quality devices. The P20 Pro is possibly the best phone on the market at the moment.

Huawei also likely makes the infrastructure that your network runs on!

DarloRich

Veteran Member

maybe it is ( i am not sure you could say that about previous models) and that must be why it was more expensive upfront than the Samsung offering a less good data package and a higher monthly payment.

Personally, I would rather go with a brand I know rather than an unknown copy. That might change in the future if these Chinese phones earn market share and prove they are decent and robust. It does have a really good camera but I am not really part of the snap chat generation and prefer a proper camera for pictures. I want a decent phone, lots of data and a decent price. That all came in the deal i got for the Samsung.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Huawei is number three in the world. Samsung first, then Apple, then Huawei (with around 10% as at the end of 2017).

Xiaomi is also a strong brand. As well as Oppo/OnePlus.

Status
Not open for further replies.