• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Portillo British Railway Journeys series 12 - starts Monday 26th April BBC2 18:30

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildcard

A new series of Portillo's Great British Railway Journeys starts Monday 26th April 19:30 BBC2

oops I meant 18:30 - thanks for the correction

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
A new series of Portillo's Great British Railway Journeys starts Monday 26th April 19:30 BBC2
Thanks for the heads-up, remember people saying they'd seen filming last year but of course the series hasn't been shown yet and I wondered when they were getting round to it. As weeks went on after the usual Jan/Feb airing I'd rather forgotten all about it!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
According to my source, the first few episodes of the fifteen episode Series 12 all air next week at 6.30 p.m. as 'World Snooker' is being screened at 7.00 p.m./7.30 p.m.

Episode 1 is Oxford to Abingdon.
Episode 2 is Stoke Mandeville to Beaconsfield.
Episode 3 is West Ruislip to Windsor.
Episode 4 is Guildford to Aldershot.
Episode 5 is Farnborough to Winchester.

Calthrop

Established Member
According to my source, the first few episodes of the fifteen episode Series 12 all air next week at 6.30 p.m. as 'World Snooker' is being screened at 7.00 p.m./7.30 p.m.

Episode 1 is Oxford to Abingdon.
Episode 2 is Stoke Mandeville to Beaconsfield.
Episode 3 is West Ruislip to Windsor.
Episode 4 is Guildford to Aldershot.
Episode 5 is Farnborough to Winchester.

These strike me as decidedly short journeys; but then -- as I perceive things -- Portillo's programmes are really, less about railways as such; than about using rail journeys as a "peg on which to hang" his looking at characteristic features and activities -- and conversations with exponents of same, and often his having a go at doing same -- of places to which he travels by train: building in where possible, relevances to his celebrated 1870-odd Bradshaw. I admit to not being a fan; but, fair enough, the programmes are not aimed specifically at railway enthusiasts, but intended to draw in as big an audience as possible -- attempting thus, "something for everyone".

D6130

Established Member
I remember that when the external shots for the Settle-Carlisle episode of his first series were being filmed about fifteen years ago, I was the driver of the 12 49 Leeds-Carlisle train (158 905) which was being pursued by the filming helicopter. On arrival at Appleby, several elderly passengers, who were alighting there to re-join their coach tour, came up to me and complained loudly that the helicopter had come far too close to the train (in their opinion) while crossing Ribblehead Viaduct and that they were going to complain to "the railway" because they had been frightened that it was going to cause an accident. In order to placate them to the best of my ability, I had to politely explain to them that (a) the helicopter was not owned or operated by "the railway" and (b) that I was not employed by the Civil Aviation Authority!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
These strike me as decidedly short journeys; but then -- as I perceive things -- Portillo's programmes are really, less about railways as such; than about using rail journeys as a "peg on which to hang" his looking at characteristic features and activities...
Indeed. Next Monday's episode, for example, visits Somerville College, Oxford (to tell the story of Nobel prize-winner Dorothy Hodgkin), then the City centre, before visiting Garsington Manor, then Culham near Abingdon (history of the MG sports car). Probably less than five minutes of railway-related footage in most half hour episodes.

Calthrop

Established Member
Indeed. Next Monday's episode, for example, visits Somerville College, Oxford (to tell the story of Nobel prize-winner Dorothy Hodgkin), then the City centre, before visiting Garsington Manor, then Culham near Abingdon (history of the MG sports car). Probably less than five minutes of railway-related footage in most half hour episodes.

The "Oxford to Abingdon" title -- there's no way Portillo or anyone, could actually get by rail literally to Abingdon nowadays, anyway !

Mikey C

Established Member
These strike me as decidedly short journeys; but then -- as I perceive things -- Portillo's programmes are really, less about railways as such; than about using rail journeys as a "peg on which to hang" his looking at characteristic features and activities -- and conversations with exponents of same, and often his having a go at doing same -- of places to which he travels by train: building in where possible, relevances to his celebrated 1870-odd Bradshaw. I admit to not being a fan; but, fair enough, the programmes are not aimed specifically at railway enthusiasts, but intended to draw in as big an audience as possible -- attempting thus, "something for everyone".
There are plenty of programmes covering "exotic" railways anyway. The Portillo ones are really about social history, hence he's able to return to the same lines but cover different periods of time - now the 1930s.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The "Oxford to Abingdon" title -- there's no way Portillo or anyone, could actually get by rail literally to Abingdon nowadays, anyway !
Likewise tonight, he doesn't actually start, or talk about Ruislip at all; the journey starts in Hatch End which is in Harrow; before somehow ending up on the GWML on a train to Slough.

davetheguard

Established Member
I still find Michael Portillo a much better presenter than the chap on the Rail Architecture programme.

I just find the constant obsession with old Bradshaw timetables and war a bit much. And I like the enthusiasm of Tim Dunn; I think I'd enjoy an evening in a good pub discussing with him each other's favourite railway archetecture over a couple of pints of cask ale!

Mikey C

Established Member
He's in East Anglia next week. I watch the programme for the social history and to see new places to visit, but it will also be interesting to see the Flirts, stock I've yet to ride on

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
He’s referring to a 1936 Bradshaw nowadays of course….

I think people have been making the point that it’s not really a railway specific programme ever since the first series.

Mikey C

Established Member
He’s referring to a 1936 Bradshaw nowadays of course….

I think people have been making the point that it’s not really a railway specific programme ever since the first series.
Especially as he's covered just about all of the UK track in previous series anyway

Indeed I wonder if anyone has actually done a map of the lines he's travelled on, it must be pretty comprehensive

75A

Established Member
It's the Social History that I watch it for. Particularly enjoyed the RAE @ Farnborough this week as I've worked there many times over the years.

JonnyG

Series 13 follows immediately on from next Monday, 17 May. Rather odd to have two consecutive new series, be interesting to see if this series was filmed earlier this year - but surely not during the lockdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.