New Railway Map Website

Discussion in 'Modelling, Memorabilia & Publications' started by MatthewB, 16 Jul 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MatthewB

MatthewB Member

Hello,

I've been working on putting together a site depicting historical railways of the UK and Ireland. I've been working on the maps for many years, and have now decided to try and create a Google Maps based site to display them. The site is now up and running, and I'd really appreciate some feedback on firstly, whether it works, but more importantly if this is something that would be useful to the rail enthusiast community and also if there are any mistakes or omissions.

The site is at www.RailMapOnline.com. All feedback and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Matthew

2. Karlywarly

Karlywarly Member

Just two evenings ago I'd been trying to work out how the tracks into the now demolished Linocln St. Marks station and the old Lincoln avoiding line mapped onto today's street plan. (Don't ask why, I'm just interested in these things!). Anyway, lots of time comparing oblique aerial photos with google maps could all have been done in seconds using your site. Certainly for the area around Lincoln the lifted lines are pin-point accurate and you can see the scars in both the countryside and the townscape. Fascinating!

Thanks for sharing!

Karl
    Lincoln (obviously!)

3. 30907

30907 Established Member

On a quick visit, very impressive. How many years' work is this?!

I didn't realise from your description that the aim was to show every line that ever existed - eg Croydon Tramlink doubling up with its SECR/LBSCR predecessors - and I like the Wikipedia link idea - on a random test it seems to work.

On a quick glance, you seem to list post-grouping lines under pre-grouping names (Wimbledon and Sutton, Torrington-Halwill), and I think there are some oddities in the New Cross area.

I also note that most stations in the London area (at least) are still to add.

4. theblackwatch

theblackwatch Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I have to repeat 30907's comments - very impressive! It reminds me of the Cobb Atlas which I have a copy of. Checked my local area and it looks very accurate. I can imagine I'll get rather engrossed in it one evening in the autumn/winter!

5. 1e10

1e10 Member

Just taken a look at my local area and it looks fantastic.

Can confirm that this works on iPads.

6. W-on-Sea

W-on-Sea Established Member

It looks really great - must have taken ages to make!

One error I've noticed: the Wantage Tramway (off the Great Western main line between Didcot and Swindon) continued for another mile or so south of the terminus you've shown, to Mill Street in the centre of Wantage itself. I'm not entirely sure which route it took, but I presume it continued along what is now the A338 (Grove Road), then along another section of Grove Road, and then along the north side of the Market Place to Mill Street, with the terminus near Smith's Wharf (a building of the old Tramway Company remains there)

Everywhere else that I know that I've looked at looks faultless!

7. MatthewB

MatthewB Member

Hello all, and thank you for the kind comments. I'm glad it loaded in your browsers and didn't crash at first attempt! Hopefully it wasn't too slow in loading the maps - did anyone try the station search function?

Karl - no coincidence about Lincoln, it's my local area so it was the first part I created and checked.

30907 - you are quite right. May be a bit lazy, but I've used pre-grouping names throughout most of the map, with more recent lines in the same area given the same colour. It's something I'll need to fix in time as I want the information to be correct. If you spot any others then please let me know. And London area stations haven't been added yet. It's on the to-do list, but I think I might work on the Isle of Man first.

W-on-Sea, I shall have to do some more digging on the Wantage Tramway (good spot!) I'll try and find the route and add it to the next update.

Cheers,

Matthew

8. eastwestdivide

eastwestdivide Established Member

Where's the key to the different colours of the lines? I did look, but couldn't find it.

9. yorksrob

yorksrob Veteran Member

I have to say, having played with it, it looks to be a brilliant resource. Well done !

10. WSW

WSW Member

This is one of the best online railway geography resources I have seen and I will be using this on a regular basis.

I'm a cartographer too so I'm interested in some of the technical processes, such as source material, cartographic software, positional accuracy issues - maybe PM me?

Steve

11. Wyvern

Wyvern Established Member

Blimey! You've evn included the Duffield Bank Railway!

If I were to quibble I could say there were two tramways from Crich, not the one you've shown. The original one was Benjamin Outram's and ran down to the Cromford Canal at Bullbridge. The other was George Stephenson's and ran down to his limeworks at Ambergate. I remember the limeworks but not,I regret to say, the tranways. I think the trackbed of the latter is still visible and maybe Outram's as well. There is a description in the Wikipedia page about Crich.

Still to try and show all the tramways around Derby would possibly be a long job and maybe not worth the effort.

THe detail you have of the standard gauge lines is amazing, considering you are covering the country. What a job!

Last edited: 17 Jul 2013
  12. 1e10

1e10 Member

Is there a key to the different colours used?

13. 30907

30907 Established Member

Key appears if you click on Company at the top

@MatthewB - rechecked New Cross area, the only missing link is from the LBSC towards Bricklayers' Arms.

14. MatthewB

MatthewB Member

Hi, and thanks again for the support and feedback.

I've been through and updated the Wantage tramway and found the missing Crich tramway. Both were on old OS maps, but I guess I just didn't spot them first time round. Thanks to Wyvern and W-on-Sea. By the way, does anyone know where the Duffield Bank Rly actually was, as this is my best guess?

I've also re-badged the North Devon & Cornwall Junction Light Rly (thanks 30907) and made a few other corrections. I'll add in the New Cross missing link next time.

To see the corrections you might have to reload the webpages to make sure it just doesn't load the cached version.

1e10 - the legend is on the Company tab. The list is incomplete, and it's not very good at actually giving you a relevant legend at the moment. If you click the Area button it should narrow down the list to only those lines that are in view, but it is inaccurate - it's close to the top of the things to fix list! You can also click on the lines to get a pop-up box with company details.

WSW - if you go onto the Info tab there is some information about the main sources of information and a little about the methods used to put it on the web. I think I might move this to a separate page so its a little more accessible.

15. W-on-Sea

W-on-Sea Established Member

Another omission I've spotted: in East London, the part of the Central Line opened in tunnel in the 1940s between Leytonstone and Newbury Park
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    Also, unless I've misinterpreted the map, it looks as though there is only one branch of the Northern line shown between Euston and Camden Town (the Charing Cross branch, which has a station at Mornington Crescent): the Bank branch takes quite a substantial loop to the west of there
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    And.... the original, now closed branch of the Piccadilly line between Holborn and Aldwych/Strand is missing, too...

16. eastwestdivide

All I get if I click Company is
    Code:
    Company Legend
    Eastern England & Cumbria
    Name  Area
    Search: 
    Data Loading
    Safari 5.1.9

However, with Firefox 22.0, it works OK.

Also, in both browsers, a pop-up thingy appears if you click the actual line you're interested in.

17. MatthewB

MatthewB Member

Thanks W-on-Sea, tube lines corrected. As you can see, the representation of sub-surface lines is very basic at present. I need to tidy this up - does anyone know of some good information on the underground routes the tubes follow?

eastwestdivide - not sure what could be causing it. Does the list of stations load OK, or do you see "Data Loading" there as well? This part of the site uses Google Fusion Tables to load the data, so it could be that Safari 5.1.9 doesn't like them. Is the pop-up thingy working correctly (should get the line's name, any links and the option to search Google)? I'll do some digging - your feedback is really appreciated.

18. eastwestdivide

Yes I get a list titled 2099 stations in the Places panel, and it appears immediately. I don't think it's complete though, as I'd have expected Abbey Wood to be near the top, and even typing Ab or ab doesn't show it when it's filtered down.
    Equally, stations not on the list on the left don't appear as a little circle on the map when you tick the box
    (All of the above = same behaviour in Firefox)

The pop-up thingy works pretty much as you describe - here's what I copied and pasted from one:
    Code:
     Newtown to Dovey Jnc (Cambrian Rly)

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/Newtown_and_Machynlleth_Railway/frame.htm http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newtown_and_Machynlleth_Railway

SearchGooglefor 'Newtown to Dovey Jnc (Cambrian Rly)'

with the word Google as a link to
    Code:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=Newtown%20to%20Dovey%20Jnc%20(Cambrian%20Rly)+railway

Good luck debugging!

19. Wyvern

Wyvern Established Member

Right - Duffield Bank Railway.

First thing to note: The present Duffield Bank House has nothing to do with it. It was built much later. Heywood's house was up the bank above the Makeney Road.

After that I'm somewhat lost. The railway was virtually forgotten even in Duffield until recently. There are a number of old OS maps on http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html but they aren't very clear.

Looking at the 1881 OS map you can see you can just see the line of the railway, the tunnel and two signal posts are marked. The 1900 and 1914 ones dont show it.

I believe therefore that Sir Arthur's house was what is now Springwood House Residential Care Home. As best as I can tell the railway ran where I've put the green line on the copy of your drawing, The lodge being where the red dot is just at the end as Eaton Bank road turns down towards the Bridge Inn. South of that was another property called Edgehill.

Attached Files:

20. Muzer

Muzer Established Member

Wow! Words cannot describe how great this is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.