• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Record Players

Status
Not open for further replies.

43021HST

Established Member
I want to buy a record player that costs roughly between £40-60 maybe £70. But I don't know what to go for, a lot of the record players I've been looking at, seem to be able to convert records into MP3 format.

I don't particularly want this function. I've also heard ironically some modern record players don't like playing modern records.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mikeg

Established Member
For something in that price range you'd probably be better off buying second hand, as the newer record players in that region tend to be of dreadful quality. Record players made by Dual, Technics and other high quality manufacturers from the 80s (when record players were still popular enough to merit research as to their design) are readily available for that price. Just make sure spares are readily available (and that means avoid Bang and Olufsen like the plague) - most are to a fairly standard design.

The Informer

Techincs 1200 or 1210. FTW

LOL! You wouldn't pick one of them up for 70 quid!!! Panasonic pulled the plug on the Technics turntable and immediately their value increased to astronomical prices. The last time I looked one deck was priced at nearly £1000 and e-bay sellers hiked up theirs too. I still have a set I purchased 14 years ago and all I have replaced is a few stylus. You may be lucky and find one for sale at a reasonable price but they usually come in pairs.

Clip

Established Member
LOL! You wouldn't pick one of them up for 70 quid!!! Panasonic pulled the plug on the Technics turntable and immediately their value increased to astronomical prices. The last time I looked one deck was priced at nearly £1000 and e-bay sellers hiked up theirs too. I still have a set I purchased 14 years ago and all I have replaced is a few stylus. You may be lucky and find one for sale at a reasonable price but they usually come in pairs.

Indeed they have and some unscupulous folk are taking the mick with increased prices. Though I did pick up another pair in January for £400 and they are, as ever with the 1210 in great condition.

Though the Missus wants to know why I wanted 4. Because I can was the answer followed by a night on the sofa :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.