• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New report on future of SNCF

Status
Not open for further replies.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
This doesn't make good reading: http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/...ural-railways-but-backs-spinetta-reforms.html

While noting the ‘often necessary’ investment in a now-extensive high speed network over the past four decades, Philippe said that the conventional network had deteriorated precipitously over recent years, with an asset age typically twice as old as in Germany. As a result, around a fifth of the network was subject to speed restrictions to ensure safe operation.
At the same time, the cost of providing rail services had spiralled to reach €14bn per year. ‘This is more than the national education budget’, Philippe said, pointing out that ‘it costs around 30% more to run a train in France than it does elsewhere in Europe’

Resource utilisation in France is also very poor compared to the UK.
The old government also made SNCF order new trains just to keep the factories going, like BR in the 60s.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Western Lord

Gaps in service of two hours or more were/are a feature of many French lines. These are the infamous "horaires blanc" intended to allow track maintenance to take place at times acceptable to the unions. The French have never (until recently) adopted the principle of regular even interval services and some local authorities are more concerned to have one TGV a day to Paris than a decent local service.

bspahh

Established Member
I'm in Dijon at the moment. Tomorrow, I'll have a meeting in the morning, get the TGV to Paris for 6pm and then onto near Rouen. On Thursday I'm then due to go back into Paris and home on the 18.07 Eurostar.

https://www.thelocal.fr/20180320/france-strike-rail-flights-what-you-need-to-know says that the strike on Thursday is due to start at 9pm on Wednesday and run through to Friday morning. From the sounds of it, there might be some services still running.

If the train from Rouen into Paris and the Eurostar are still running, I should be fine as the connection is walkable from St Lazare to Gare du Nord.

bspahh

Established Member
I'm in Dijon at the moment. Tomorrow, I'll have a meeting in the morning, get the TGV to Paris for 6pm and then onto near Rouen. On Thursday I'm then due to go back into Paris and home on the 18.07 Eurostar.

https://www.thelocal.fr/20180320/france-strike-rail-flights-what-you-need-to-know says that the strike on Thursday is due to start at 9pm on Wednesday and run through to Friday morning. From the sounds of it, there might be some services still running.

If the train from Rouen into Paris and the Eurostar are still running, I should be fine as the connection is walkable from St Lazare to Gare du Nord.

The timetable between Rouen and Paris has been completely rewritten, with half the trains being cancelled. www.sncf.fr has the updated timetable.

Yesterday, I tried to buy a CIV ticket from Rouen into Paris for today, but it wasn't available. This article says that if I am on a delayed train, I need to get someone to mark my ticket to say that I was delayed, and then I should be allowed to travel on a later connecting train.

https://www.independent.co.uk/trave...-president-macron-labour-reform-a8265876.html

bunnahabhain

Established Member
During a strike the unions are required by law to make a certain level of staffing available to SNCF, last time I got caught up in a strike the Paris to Zurich service was cut down to two a day, the first and second to last, our midday departure was cancelled so we joined a later service and hid in the buffet car, departure was an hour late whilst armed police removed passengers standing in the rear cars of the train!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
During a strike the unions are required by law to make a certain level of staffing available to SNCF, last time I got caught up in a strike the Paris to Zurich service was cut down to two a day, the first and second to last, our midday departure was cancelled so we joined a later service and hid in the buffet car, departure was an hour late whilst armed police removed passengers standing in the rear cars of the train!

To be fair, all French police are armed so this is not quite as big a thing as it sounds.

bspahh

Established Member
I had to set off an hour earlier than planned, because of the revised timetable from Rouen. It meant I got to Gare du Nord in time to get a train 2 hours early, and changing trains was free, because of the strikes

deltic

Established Member
Strikes still on-going - demand for intercity coaches up 60% and for the car share Blablacar doubled. 44% of public support strikers and 22% opposed. However, 69% support government line that new rail staff should not have the same pension deal as at present and 64% in favour of ending job for life.

exile

Established Member
Editorial in Le Monde today suggesting that the government may have decided that 'do nothing' is not an option.
http://www.lemonde.fr/idees/article/2018/02/17/sncf-le-pari-de-la-reforme_5258534_3232.html

One large union has already called for a national strike on 22/3. The date presumably means that either they don't see an urgency or they are not sure of support. Note that the majority of French rail workers are in one of a few large unions which are not rail-specific, unlike in the UK.

As I understand, France did not have 'a Beeching' as such but set about restructuring rail more progressively after WW2, this was no doubt in part due to the consequences of the war. More recently, the regions have taken responsibilty for many local and regional services which has often seen increased frequencies, new trains and more traffic.

France certainly did have a "Beeching Axe" - in 1938. In what was referred to as "co-ordination" a huge chunk of the network was closed to passengers, these services being replaced by buses. At the same time buses were withdrawn where in competition with surviving rail services. A number of surviving branches were closed in subsequent decades, and today rural lines, where they survive, have decidedly skeletal services - 2 or 3 trains a day in each direction. This is made worse by France having very little in the way of rural bus services. It's not all bad of course - TGV services are great, and the suburban network round Paris is excellent (other French cities have very limited commuter services).

daikilo

Established Member
Government plans for the future of Fret SNCF, the freight arm of the company, were laid out yesterday by the PM and other government ministers. Imediate reaction from the unions is not positive as they see it as moving towards privatisation, but it appears to be associated with additional government funding/debt write-off.
An article in Railway Gazette summarises:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/...restructuring-as-sncf-reforms-push-ahead.html
Note that freight operations in France are already open to competition, with operators and a few industries complaining about how they are being hit by the consequences of the current strikes.

WatcherZero

Established Member
France's CGT urges broader anti-Macron protests, other unions keep their distance
uk.reuters.com
2 mins read
PARIS (Reuters) - France’s far-left CGT labour union sought to broaden resistance to hard-hitting economic reforms on Thursday, urging employees across the public sector to join striking railway workers in their showdown with President Emmanuel Macron.

The CGT’s goal is a “convergence des luttes” or “convergence of struggles” - a storm of public discontent where protests of different origins fuse into one widespread upheaval against government, something like in May 1968 or more recently at the end of 1995.

But a CGT strike call at the Paris subway train and bus group RATP appeared to have little impact: RATP management reported normal service across most of the grid.

More moderate unions involved with the CGT in the industrial action at the state-owned SNCF railway group also kept their distance from the Communist-rooted CGT as it asked others to join the protest action by striking or taking part in street marches.

“This is a political operation, not a union one,” Laurent Berger, one of the most influential labour leaders in the country, said of the CGT initiative.

That not only highlighted the underlying divisions and turf battles for membership subscriptions that permanently plague the labour movement but also more profound

divergences between the Communist-rooted CGT and Berger’s more reform-friendly CFDT.

Berger said his union had nothing to do with a day of street marches organised by the CGT on Thursday afternoon.

He said he did not share the CGT penchant for a “convergence of struggles” between rail workers, power sector employees, state hospital staff and even some students involved in very separate protests about university entry criteria.

While his union is backing the rail strike alongside the CGT and other unions, the CFDT is fighting Macron for concessions on debt cancellation and a new collective bargaining deal to cover rail workers when the SNCF reform ends its rail monopoly, and with it the protected job status of all future SNCF recruits.

The CGT opposes the principle of liberalisation and a pact under which all European Union governments have committed to start phasing out all passenger rail monopolies from 2020.

Forty-year-old Macron has stood firm and on Wednesday urged the unions to “stop holding the country hostage”.

His government hopes union divisions will ultimately work in its favour, and the lower house of parliament this week approved the bill that enshrines most of the envisaged SNCF reforms.

Public support for the SNCF protest is weaker than for all but one of several dozen major protests over the last 20 years in France, according to an Ifop poll published last Sunday. It showed 42 percent were sympathetic to the strikers.

That compared with much bigger support rates of two-thirds or so when strikes in late 1995 waged by rail workers snowballed into a broader public sector protest movement, forcing the government of the time to abandon rail and welfare reforms.

While polls suggest 60 percent of the French want Macron to pursue his rail shake-up, he is walking on eggs after cutting wealth tax and housing aid and raising pensioner taxes. Those changes, the polls say, have cemented voter belief that Macron is bad for purchasing power and economic equality.

Reporting By Brian Love; Editing by Ingrid Melander and Hugh Lawson

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-f...ns-keep-their-distance-idUKKBN1HQ1NE?rpc=401&

Sounds familiar!

squizzler

Established Member
It looks as if vastly more trains are running this week. I suspect these two days will be the last with major disruption.

It will be interesting to see how the service changes in the next few years. There seem to be many new houses here (I am in Brittany now!) so the demand for travel can surely only increase.

daikilo

Established Member
It looks as if vastly more trains are running this week. I suspect these two days will be the last with major disruption.

It will be interesting to see how the service changes in the next few years. There seem to be many new houses here (I am in Brittany now!) so the demand for travel can surely only increase.

According to radio and TV, it seems to depend on the depots, with some still having similar strike numbers. It is however true that more trains are running but still below an average of 50% depending on train type (TGV, IC, TER etc). Some regions becoming quite vociferous given that they pay large sums of money to support 'social' TER services.

Apparently the head of the SNCF has said that there won't be strikes during the summer holidays, to which at least one union has retorted that they will decide, not him!

squizzler

Established Member
The worse thing about rail travel here in Brittany (as many other holidaymakers tend to report) is that many minor services are in fact operated by busses. I presume it reflects a cost differential between these options that might be narrowed if train crew become similarly flexible to their bus driving cousins. Now that the government have enacted the actual labour reforms which this strike relates to, maybe SNCF can begin to upskill some of the bus drivers that operate their bustitution in rural areas to operate the actual trains themselves?

BigCj34

The worse thing about rail travel here in Brittany (as many other holidaymakers tend to report) is that many minor services are in fact operated by busses. I presume it reflects a cost differential between these options that might be narrowed if train crew become similarly flexible to their bus driving cousins. Now that the government have enacted the actual labour reforms which this strike relates to, maybe SNCF can begin to upskill some of the bus drivers that operate their bustitution in rural areas to operate the actual trains themselves?

You can say that again. I have family in Normandy and Dinard airport has a few Ryanair flights that land there from the UK, saves having to go via Paris. Unfortunately there are only 2 trains a day that go from one of the nearby stations to there. Very poor indeed, people who try to compare British services with French often fail to realise how you can get to most places in an amount of time that beats coach travel and is competitive to the car. Not so much in France.

squizzler

Established Member
You can say that again. I have family in Normandy and Dinard airport has a few Ryanair flights that land there from the UK, saves having to go via Paris. Unfortunately there are only 2 trains a day that go from one of the nearby stations to there. Very poor indeed, people who try to compare British services with French often fail to realise how you can get to most places in an amount of time that beats coach travel and is competitive to the car. Not so much in France.
I wonder if the French have Rail User Groups as we do in the UK? Does anybody know how to say “community rail partnership” in French? Who speaks for the rail passengers on small lines with the authority to say “non!” to bustitution?

I get the impression grassroots organisation for civic reasons is not something they believe in as they seem to have more faith in the technocratic management of society at large (of course when it comes to securing their personal privelleges it is a different story!).

BigCj34

I wonder if the French have Rail User Groups as we do in the UK? Does anybody know how to say “community rail partnership” in French? Who speaks for the rail passengers on small lines with the authority to say “non!” to bustitution?

I get the impression grassroots organisation for civic reasons is not something they believe in as they seem to have more faith in the technocratic management of society at large (of course when it comes to securing their personal privelleges it is a different story!).

Partenariat des ferroviares communautaires? Not sure, I'm sure Macron is talking about extra rail devolution to the regions though.

squizzler

Established Member
Thanks for the link, the Citizens Rail appears very professional indeed. The site is helpfully in English and I note that the lead partner is Devon and Cornwall Rail Partnership. With many British retirees making rural France their home, and retirees generally being the most active in community projects, maybe there is hope yet!

In the UK, CRP's are frequently referred to as a credible part of the solution for rural railways. One area in which we seem to be way ahead of them. Do French rail policy documents yet officially recognise the benefits of CRP's?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.