• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Reston Station - Progress & Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acfb

A relative drove me to Eyemouth from Edinburgh on Sunday. We came back via Coldingham. It was a nice day out. I haven't used Reston yet but I might visit it in the next week or two (although can see there's a 30+ minute wait for the bus connections to Eyemouth) Must say I'm surprised there is no sign for Reston station yet from the A1 at least in the Berwick bound direction.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
20,000 per annum
In the introductory part of the 2021 Arup ‘transport assessment’, (one of the planning application documents), they quoted a NR expectation of 110,000 per year. That’s about a quarter of what Dunbar had pre-Covid.

But as I didn’t that read much of it, I was wondering if they’d normally consider how many of those passengers were expected to be abstracted from other stations?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
In the introductory part of the 2021 Arup ‘transport assessment’, (one of the planning application documents), they quoted a NR expectation of 110,000 per year. That’s about a quarter of what Dunbar had pre-Covid.

But as I didn’t that read much of it, I was wondering if they’d normally consider how many of those passengers were expected to be abstracted from other stations?
Interesting, I never saw anything close to 110k suggested, only the 20k figure I mentioned.

That would be 21 passengers per average train call, I doubt that's achieved - anecdotal evidence suggests 4-5 passengers is about average most trains.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Interesting, I never saw anything close to 110k suggested, only the 20k figure I mentioned.

That would be 21 passengers per average train call, I doubt that's achieved - anecdotal evidence suggests 4-5 passengers is about average most trains.
I was quite surprised because it definitely seemed quite optimistic, especially considering it had been updated fairly recently. I followed the link to the planning application in the opening post of this thread.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I was quite surprised because it definitely seemed quite optimistic, especially considering it had been updated fairly recently. I followed the link to the planning application in the opening post of this thread.
I feel as though that figure has been altered, I'm nigh on positive it was 20,000 to start with.

mcmad

where did the 20,000 figure come from? It seems very low for the £20m pricetag.

Edit: that number would put it on a par with Arrochar & Tarbert (using 18/19 figures)

Last edited:

zwk500

Veteran Member
Isn't that fairly achievable if we extrapolate the (admittedly anecdotal) numbers in this thread? A lot of people here seem dead against the station, but if it meets the forecasts I don't see the issue. More access to rail is a good thing.
If it was on just another quiet branch line I'd agree with you without a doubt, but this station has the potential to cause big problems for the performance of the main link between London, Yorkshire and Newcastle with Edinburgh. It would also be somewhat frustrating to spend £20m on a station and however much subsidy it needs annually if only a handful of people ever use it.

Having said all that, if it does what was claimed; that the wider benefits are worth it and the service is reliable to keep links between Edinburgh and England competitive then I'll be the first to applaud it.

I feel as though that figure has been altered, I'm nigh on positive it was 20,000 to start with.
a 2011 business case I found claimed 60,000 per annum entries/exits, I believe. (See Part 6.6.33 on: https://www.transport.gov.scot/publ...s-between-edinburgh-and-newcastle/j196975-07/ about 2/3rds down)
6.6.33 The potential patronage at Reston has been estimated as follows:
  • annualising this figure and accounting for return trips gives the total of around 61,000 station entries / exits per annum;
  • based on an analysis of existing commuting proportions, around 21% of this demand would however be abstracted from other stations, mainly Dunbar and Berwick, (ie these people are already travelling by train), giving a net gain of 48,000 passenger journeys and benefits and revenue figures should be adjusted accordingly;

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
The figure of 20,000 appears in a Railfuture document 'Railfuture's Top 50 Proposed Stations in Scotland'. Reston is 49th in the list. In comparison, Glasgow Cross High Level is first in the list at 2,166,700. The document is available via an internet search, that's where I had it from.

Their annotation is minimum annual usage and footnote 2: Anticipated minimum annual usage based on either local population and usage of recently opened stations or more detailed appraisals where available.

windingroad

The figure of 20,000 appears in a Railfuture document 'Railfuture's Top 50 Proposed Stations in Scotland'. Reston is 49th in the list. In comparison, Glasgow Cross High Level is first in the list at 2,166,700. The document is available via an internet search, that's where I had it from.
How credible is Railfuture considered to be? I often see their station lists making Scottish newspapers but I know very little about how they're put together.

Acfb

If it was on just another quiet branch line I'd agree with you without a doubt, but this station has the potential to cause big problems for the performance of the main link between London, Yorkshire and Newcastle with Edinburgh. It would also be somewhat frustrating to spend £20m on a station and however much subsidy it needs annually if only a handful of people ever use it.

Having said all that, if it does what was claimed; that the wider benefits are worth it and the service is reliable to keep links between Edinburgh and England competitive then I'll be the first to applaud it.

a 2011 business case I found claimed 60,000 per annum entries/exits, I believe. (See Part 6.6.33 on: https://www.transport.gov.scot/publ...s-between-edinburgh-and-newcastle/j196975-07/ about 2/3rds down)

Sounds plausible if Rail demand recovers to pre covid levels. My thinking was 70-80,000 for Reston to judge it as a 'success' using Stow as a benchmark.

I'm more optimistic about East Linton which should easily get 100,000+ even though it will be largely abstracting from Drem.

D6130

Established Member

windingroad

Really? Why might that be, I wonder? As a member of Railfuture's European Passenger Group, the chair of which is a very senior and experienced rail transport professional, I think this would make a very interesting subject for a new thread!
I didn't intend to offend: I honestly have no idea how credible Railfuture is, and I defer to your experience. I just anticipated it being hotly debated, as most suggestions for rail expansion seem to have that effect here.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
With Reston station now open this thread (which was about progress towards opening) has now run its course.

Thanks all

Status
Not open for further replies.