• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Ross Ireland ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

duesselmartin

Established Member
Does anybody know Howe the line from New Ross station continued to Wexford? A direct bridge beyond the station seems unlikely due to the hill. A sharp turn left along the Barrow?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bevan Price

Established Member
Does anybody know Howe the line from New Ross station continued to Wexford? A direct bridge beyond the station seems unlikely due to the hill. A sharp turn left along the Barrow?

Johnson's Atlas & Gazetteer of Irish Railways shows the line crossing the River Barrow about 1 mile NE of New Ross, then passing through Mount Elliott Tunnel (748 yards)

Flying Snail

Established Member
Johnson's Atlas & Gazetteer of Irish Railways shows the line crossing the River Barrow about 1 mile NE of New Ross, then passing through Mount Elliott Tunnel (748 yards)

The bridge still remains.

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.414...4!1sQlOpTDWbtoVBtMeYhe8b4A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

It can't quite be seen in the streetview but the tunnel mouth is right beside the N30 just as it takes a 90 degree turn to the East, the trackbed goes under the road and you can make out the tree line marking the route for the next 1/2 mile as the road lines up with it. from there on the N30 was re-aligned onto the old trackbed for about 2 miles, the old narrow road passes under the current N30 through some bridges that are clearly railway era.

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.420...4!1sT7ivqc-LDqupLdW0f3PflQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Status
Not open for further replies.