• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Routeing Guide - Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had a look at new routeing guide and do like some of the extra documents, especially the glossary as previously noted. However I do think that the PDF documents especially all 105 maps and 1150 pages of origins and destinations makes it more difficult to use.

Anyway I also thought I take a look at some of the routes I regularly take to see what's changed:

Preston - London:

Used to be valid into Kings Cross, St Pancras, Euston, Marylebone, Paddington and Waterloo, now it appears that Kings Cross and Waterloo aren't valid. Furthermore the ridiculous routing of via Shrewsbury to Cardiff, Newport, Bristol, Salisbury and Eastleigh, Basingstoke and Waterloo has been removed --- what a shame - I never got to do this!! :lol:

The routing is the same on the way back, unlike the Calisle to Newcastle ticket...

Preston - Tamworth

I see this ticket is valid via Birmingham New Street, had previously being told it was only valid direct. Nice to know for the future.

Preston - Peterborough

I see this is still valid via a plethora of routes, but I'll look at these later.

Any updates and comments always welcome.

Regards,

WestCoastTravel

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

janb

Preston - London:

Used to be valid into Kings Cross, St Pancras, Euston, Marylebone, Paddington and Waterloo, now it appears that Kings Cross and Waterloo aren't valid. Furthermore the ridiculous routing of via Shrewsbury to Cardiff, Newport, Bristol, Salisbury and Eastleigh, Basingstoke and Waterloo has been removed --- what a shame - I never got to do this!! :lol:

Was it ever valid into Kings Cross or Waterloo? The latter in particular makes no sense. Certainly not shown valid in RJIS in the 18 months I've been issuing tickets.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Was it ever valid into Kings Cross or Waterloo? The latter in particular makes no sense. Certainly not shown valid in RJIS in the 18 months I've been issuing tickets.
It does make sense though, as many journeys from the Midlands / North West areas to London are valid via Reading. An alternative route from Reading to London is via Ascot into Waterloo.

philjo

Established Member
the waterloo/Salisbury route was probably due to the Through waterloo-Manchester service which ran via Salisbury, Bristol,Newport, Shrewsbury & stockport & looked like it took forever. it has now been cut to Waterloo-Bristol via Salisbury.

glynn80

Established Member
Preston to London Terminals ticket certainly were previously valid into Waterloo.

The routeing guide dated 01/04/2009 listed "BD+MW+WX" as the first set of maps available for passengers to use.

BD allowed passengers to travel Preston to Wigan to Warrington to Crewe to Shrewsbury to Hereford to Newport to Bristol to Swindon.

MW allowed passengers to travel Swindon to Didcot to Reading

WX allowed passengers to travel Reading to Wokingham to Ascot to Staines to Richmond to Clapham Junction to London Waterloo.

Other deviations with these set of maps include travel via Bath and Chippenham also even Westbury, Eastleigh, Basingstoke and Woking.

Another Scheme to Con Rail passengers, the Caledonian Sleeper passengers no longer get the breakfast onboard, but Scotrail haven't updated the site, all prices are doubled on the sleepers shop and the tooth brush kit is only available by request

OwlMan

Established Member
Apart from Carlisle to Newcastle I have found three others where the reverse entries are not the same,
Birmingham to Worcester has CE GC; Worcester to Birmingham PH WM
only Huyton - Carstairs has ER+LY+NL
only Hayes Harlngtn - Hooton has ME+MW

Peter

John @ home

Established Member
Another Scheme to Con Rail passengers, the Caledonian Sleeper passengers no longer get the breakfast onboard, but Scotrail haven't updated the site

Is this for all passengers or is the breakfast still available for First Class ticket holders but not Standard?

John

A60K

Is this for all passengers or is the breakfast still available for First Class ticket holders but not Standard?

Breakfast is still given to First Class passengers free, Standard Class get the old BR tea or coffee and a biscuit (which I am quite happy with).

Another Scheme to Con Rail passengers, [snipped], all prices are doubled on the sleepers shop [snipped]

Do you mean this literally? A 100% price increase seems a bit drastic. How can we let this go by without some noise? The lounge car was always a bit of a bargain (in my opinion) but now it'll be the opposite!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.