• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Royal Mail hub for Daventry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shimbleshanks

Press release from developers Prologis about a new Royal Mail hub at DIRFT (Daventry International Rail Freight Terminal). It says the site will have its own dedicated rail platform.

ROYAL MAIL PARCEL PUSH CONTINUES AS CONSTRUCTION OF ITS SECOND PARCEL HUB IN THE MIDLANDS ACCELERATES
Construction of Royal Mail’s second parcel hub is now underway in the Midlands as the Company continues its transformation to a parcels-led business
Once built, the planned 840,000 sq ft Midlands parcel hub will become Royal Mail’s largest parcel hub
The building will be the size of over ten football pitches with capacity to process over 1m parcels per day
The Midlands parcel hub represents Royal Mail’s second major parcel build and is scheduled to be fully operational in 2023
The hub will contribute to the major role Royal Mail plays in the Midlands, where the business employs c 20,000 people and contributes around £1.4 billion to the local economy1
With its proximity to large cities, warehousing, fulfilment centres and transport links, the new Midlands hub is ideally situated to meet the UK’s growing ecommerce demand
Building is designed to reduce impact on the environment – including energy efficient heating, ventilation and LED lighting installations on motion and daylight sensors
Royal Mail has also signed a contract with Beumer Group for the construction of a second fully-automated parcel sorting system (APSS) to be housed within the Midlands Hub
The Midlands hub initiative follows the construction of a parcel hub in the North West of England

Royal Mail today announces that construction of a major, new parcel hub in the Midlands is underway as the Company accelerates its transformation to an international parcels-led business that also delivers letters in the UK.
Scheduled for launch in 2023, the Company’s commitment to the Daventry-based hub, which will be fitted with state-of-the-art parcel automation machinery, represents a significant investment in its Midlands operations.
Once complete, the new hub will be the size of more than ten football pitches and have the capacity to process over 1 million mail items per day, making it the largest Royal Mail parcel hub in the UK.
Royal Mail has seen parcel volumes grow strongly in the first half of the year, driven by online shopping which has been further accelerated by the coronavirus pandemic and its associated restrictions. Domestic account volumes grew 51% while Royal Mail Tracked 24/28 and tracked returns saw 72% growth year on year. On our busiest day we processed more than 2.5 million Royal Mail Tracked parcels.

Centrally located with fully automated parcel sorting
Situated at the Daventry International Rail Freight Interchange (DIRFT), the second Royal Mail parcel hub will have excellent transport links to major cities nearby as well as the warehousing and fulfilment centres of several online retailers. This will enable Royal Mail to enhance its support of the UK’s ecommerce and retail industry.
As well as featuring a state-of-the-art automated parcel sorting system, the hub will offer a Vehicle Operating Centre, a Fleet Workshop facility, brand-new staff facilities as well as a rail terminal, enabling an increase in the amount of mail transported efficiently and sustainably.
The second Royal Mail parcel hub is being built by leading industrial property company, Prologis UK. Beumer Group is responsible for the construction of the fully-automated parcel sorting system (APSS) that will be housed within.
Royal Mail is committed to reducing the impact of its operations on the environment. As part of the build, Royal Mail will deploy a number of sustainability initiatives ensuring the environment and local communities are placed at the heart of the development.
The design of the hub will maximise the amount of natural light entering the building, saving energy and improving employee well-being. The building will also feature energy efficient heating, ventilation and LED lighting installations on motion and daylight sensors ensuring high sustainability standards.
With Royal Mail’s other parcel hub in Warrington coming into operation in 2022 both sites will create a parcel powerhouse capable of processing well over 1.5 million parcels per day with options to scale to over 2.5 million in the future.

Contribution to the local economy
Royal Mail currently employs around 20,000 people in the Midlands and already contributes more than £1.4 bn* to the region, reflecting Royal Mail’s commitment to investing in the regional economy. It also underlines the importance of the region to the UK’s economy, particularly to sectors like the ecommerce industry.
As a road and rail logistics business park, DIRFT is classed as a nationally-significant infrastructure project. From its location at the heart of the UK’s motorway and rail network, the site has excellent road links to the M1 and M6 motorways, as well as to the West Coast Main Line train service. A number of leading British ecommerce companies are based in this region alongside the logistical arm of several high-street retailers. Capitalising on the site’s rail connectivity, the new hub will also have its own dedicated rail platform, allowing parcels and other freight direct access to the West Coast Main Line, the country’s primary rail freight route.
Simon Thompson, Royal Mail CEO, said: “Our business is accelerating and this state-of-the-art parcel hub in the Midlands will allow us to seize the market opportunity and continue to deliver great service for our customers at 31 million doorsteps up and down the country. I am sure our team are looking forward to the first day of operation as much as I am.”
Chris Heaton-Harris MP said: “It’s great news that Royal Mail has decided to make such a substantial investment in a parcels hub in my Daventry constituency. This will give a welcome boost to the local economy. With the boom in online shopping, my constituency is exceptionally well positioned via both road and rail networks to ensure these items are delivered as quickly as possible after purchasing. I look forward to visiting the new automated site when fully operational.”
Phil Oakley, Vice President, Leasing & Development, Prologis UK, said: “Royal Mail’s decision to locate its largest UK parcel hub at DIRFT is great news for the local economy and the ecommerce companies located on Prologis DIRFT who rely on the company’s delivery services. Proximity to the new Royal Mail unit means companies can confidently extend order picking times and still achieve next day delivery for their customers.”
Stephan Heessels, Divisional Director, Beumer Group Logistic Systems, said: “Royal Mail's new Midlands hub will be another excellent example of how a parcel distributor can ensure ergonomics-based design of its high-speed sortation systems. The system seamlessly combines system design, operator safety and careful parcel handling. The hub will enable Royal Mail to process parcels more efficiently across their network in turn helping ecommerce companies quickly get their parcels to online customers. The new automation not only means processing more parcels faster, but the modern design of the system also supports workflows to be performed in a safer more secure way - than ever before. We are proud to have been selected once again to support Royal Mail with positioning themselves at the leading edge of operating efficiency and ergonomics.”

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aictos

Established Member
Good news indeed, although on the letter side of the business would they be making more use of Warrington RMT, Low Fell RMT, PRDC etc

Also anyone know if the currently built hub at Warrington is anywhere near the existing Warrington RMT hub?

6Gman

Established Member
How heavily will Rail feature - that is the 64,000 dollar question?
Indeed.

Is the rail connection there to be used, or to make the grant of planning permission more straightforward ?

(I can take you to three locations within 2 miles of here where planning said there would be rail facilities . . . and there ain't.)

Established Member
With multiple shunts required to access it I doubt it’ll be a significant rail operation unfortunately.
I think this is the site across the A5 from the existing rail terminals at Daventry? I don't know how operations there work but it looks like it'll be the same number of shunts as needed to access Tesco and Sainsbury's (is the Sainsbury's site currently in use, it was whenever Google maps last updated their images?).

How much use Royal Mail will make of it I don't know. Though I'm not sure they need to - the information I can find online seems to suggest the container terminal will be open access and was going to be built anyway, Royal Mail just happen to have taken the largest adjacent warehouse. But unless the existing terminals on the site are at capacity, which I doubt, what need is there for another?

Last edited:

markymark2000

On Moderation
I think this is the site across the A5 from the existing rail terminals at Daventry? I don't know how operations there work but it looks like it'll be the same number of shunts as needed to access Tesco and Sainsbury's (is the Sainsbury's site currently in use, it was whenever Google maps last updated their images?).

How much use Royal Mail will make of it I don't know. Though I'm not sure they need to - the information I can find online seems to suggest the container terminal will be open access, Royal Mail just happen to have taken the largest adjacent warehouse. But unless the existing terminals on the site are at capacity, which I doubt, what need is there for another?
Wouldn't it just be 1 shunt. From the terminal to the entry sidings. From there, maybe reverse onto the main line. In which case it would be about the same as the PRDC where drivers have to switch ends to go northbound.

A0wen

On Moderation
With multiple shunts required to access it I doubt it’ll be a significant rail operation unfortunately.

The key to this is it's for parcels handling, not letters. So the days of the 'mail train' handling letters is long gone - not least because letter volumes are declining massively year on year.

So the question is perhaps one for the rail industry - can it effectively and efficiently handle parcels ? If the answer is 'no' then the likely use of rail will be low.

Established Member
Wouldn't it just be 1 shunt. From the terminal to the entry sidings. From there, maybe reverse onto the main line. In which case it would be about the same as the PRDC where drivers have to switch ends to go northbound.

That's what I thought, I don't know though. The layout doesn't stop any of the current operations anyway, so if anyone wants to use this new terminal it won't be the stunts which stop them. I am very sceptical of Royal Mail sending anything by rail however.

Does anyone know what the current split of rail traffic at Daventry is in terms of Tesco(or supermarkets if Sainsbury's send anything by rail)/non-Tesco? How healthy business is aside from one big customer?

Geeves

Established Member
According to the Warrington Guardian Royal Mail have also announced the closure of their North-West Distribution Centre at Winwick Quay and relocation of its functions to a non-rail-served centre at Burtonwood: Fit out of Royal Mail 'parcel super hub' at Omega begins | Warrington Guardian

Sorry to drag things slightly away from the original topic but the Winwick Quay distribtuion centre is not coneccted to the railway either, its next to the WCML but some half a mile north of the railway terminal. It makes no difference the new place isnt served by rail either. What ever arrived there by rail had to be loaded onto a lorry to go Half a mile away which is kinda crazy they didnt just build it at the original site!

Oxfordblues

Sorry to drag things slightly away from the original topic but the Winwick Quay distribtuion centre is not coneccted to the railway either, its next to the WCML but some half a mile north of the railway terminal. It makes no difference the new place isnt served by rail either. What ever arrived there by rail had to be loaded onto a lorry to go Half a mile away which is kinda crazy they didnt just build it at the original site!
Thank you Geeves for clarifying this. The location of the new distribution centre at Burtonwood seems to have been based on easy road access.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Thank you Geeves for clarifying this. The location of the new distribution centre at Burtonwood seems to have been based on easy road access.

Which is to be expected. The thing with parcels sorting hubs is that they need access from multiple spokes. That will be why they have chosen the crossroads of the highway network.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Which is to be expected. The thing with parcels sorting hubs is that they need access from multiple spokes. That will be why they have chosen the crossroads of the highway network.
Burtonwood, near Warrington, being adjacent to Junction 8 of the M62 for clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.