• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Scottish bus bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

overthewater

Established Member
Here are the outing lining details...

https://consult.gov.scot/transport-scotland/improving-bus-services/

They is a bad error on the moblie/wap version. You can't put a quote marks where you want. They end up at the start....

Bus Services and the Transport (Scotland) Bill
We want to provide local authorities with a viable and flexible set of options to help ensure that bus services in their area meet local users’ needs, ensuring that there are sustainable bus networks across Scotland.

As well as updating the powers available to local authorities, the Transport (Scotland) Billwill also improve the information available to passengers and local authorities, helping make bus travel a more attractive option.

Key provisions include:
  • New Bus Service Improvement Partnerships
  • New Local Franchising
  • New/extended powers for local transport authorities to provide bus services to meet social needs
  • Powers to require bus operators to make more information available to the public on services, including routes, timetables and fares
  • Powers to require operators withdrawing services to provide more information to local transport authorities
Want to learn more?
We ran a series of consultations to help develop the Transport Bill. You can look back at the Local Bus Services in Scotland – Improving the Framework for Deliveryconsultation and read our analysis.

You can also read more about Transport Scotland’s role in supporting bus services.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

smtglasgow

Too much to read at work, but am I right in thinking that franchising in urban areas is pretty much dead? Meaningful Quality Partnerships *might* be enough to kickstart things, but councils need to be prepared to take some unpopular decisions on parking and congestion – how do you tell car users that they need to lose their cheap/free parking to secure better bus services?

takno

Established Member
Too much to read at work, but am I right in thinking that franchising in urban areas is pretty much dead? Meaningful Quality Partnerships *might* be enough to kickstart things, but councils need to be prepared to take some unpopular decisions on parking and congestion – how do you tell car users that they need to lose their cheap/free parking to secure better bus services?
Is there something that would preclude Urban areas from the New Local Franchising framework?

Dentonian

Established Member
Not in England - Manchester is pressing ahead with it.
A bit presumptive! GREATER Manchester Combined Authority are considering options; Franchising, EQPs or "do nothing". They will then recommend one option to the Elected Mayor later this year.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
They mention local authorities, but SPT isn't a local authority and as far as I know the council's in the West of Scotland don't run tendered services.

takno

Established Member
They mention local authorities, but SPT isn't a local authority and as far as I know the council's in the West of Scotland don't run tendered services.
The draft act itself says that Local Authorities can join together to franchise an area that covers multiple authorities. I assume that's in there specifically to cover SPT.

Status
Not open for further replies.