• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Series: The Tube Going Underground

Status
Not open for further replies.

plymothian

Heads up for the new series of the 'fly on the wall documentary' "The Tube" starts on 21 March on Channel 5.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Wasn't the FGW series on Channel 5? That was quite good a I thought. Not necessarily a bad sign being on Channel 5!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
So long as you don't mind each segment of the programme being immediately repeated after the inevitable ad breaks.:)

Yes that is very annoying now that you mention it...

Though I usually record things like this so just fast forward through the adverts and the recap.

NY Yankee

I googled it and the only thing I found was a website about the previous Tube documentary (the one back in 2012),

Dstock7080

Established Member
I googled it and the only thing I found was a website about the previous Tube documentary (the one back in 2012),

http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/d2xc8z/the-tube-going-underground--series-1-episode-1
ABOUT THIS PROGRAMME
1/8. Documentary filmed over the course of a year going behind the scenes on the London transport network as it undergoes a £10bn modernisation programme to cope with record demand. At Earl's Court station, Charlotte controls the Piccadilly Line, one of London's busiest, oldest and most unreliable lines, while new recruit Naeem faces furious passengers at Bank station when a strike hits the network. Tino from the special requirements team is sent to Highbury and Islington to deal with one of the Tube's worst nightmares as rush hour coincides with a football derby.

The forthcoming Channel 5 series (Mondays 21.00 from 21 March) is made by BLAST! FIlms, the same production company as the BBC Two series.
They also made "The Route Masters: running London's roads" for BBCtv in 2013; "The Night Bus" for Channel 4 and "Double-decker Driving School" for itv.

NY Yankee

I'm going to see if I can check out some episodes on YouTube. And if/when it's available on DVD, I hope that they sell it to Region 1.

Busaholic

Veteran Member

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Don't forget that this is on tonight.

GodAtum

On Moderation
I agree with the ad .. I've never been happy after starting commuting and always come into work angry.

I'm also lucky that I can boycott TFL and not use their tubes and buses.

Last edited:

crispy1978

Not being from London, but having last travelled on the Underground 3-4 years ago, I noticed a few things which I hadn't previously noticed - there seems to be a lot higher staff presence on the platform (that might just be a rush-hour thing?), along with their microphone walkie-talkie things wired up to the PA system, and the doors at Waterloo I think it was (I haven't travelled through Waterloo, so I wouldn't haven't seen these).

I don't think overall the programme is too bad, better than watching some things that are kicking around on TV at the moment!

I liked the incline lift idea at Greenford Station - although it looked like the woman in the wheelchair had been pulled off the pavement, and not actually was a customer!

The removal of the ticket offices at Victoria (and presumably other stations) is unfortunately a sign of the times I assume?

GodAtum

On Moderation
I wonder at Victoria, did the staff get training and iPads after she complained or was that always going to happen?

bluegoblin7

Established Member
I wonder at Victoria, did the staff get training and iPads after she complained or was that always going to happen?

Always part of the plan, and with it being a TV programme it's possible (and likely, looking at the dates involved) that they had their iPads prior to the ticket office closure. It's a rolling programme that has been underway since mid-2014.

urbophile

Established Member
The Greenford lady was I assume an invited guest for the official opening of the lift. Pity it got stuck once she had got up.

There were always going to be teething problems with closing the ticket offices, but why on earth did they not install the additional ticket machines at Victoria before closing the office? If my experience at Euston the other week is typical, the new system seems to be working well and the on-the-ground staff are helpful and courteous.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The Greenford lady was I assume an invited guest for the official opening of the lift. Pity it got stuck once she had got up.

There were always going to be teething problems with closing the ticket offices, but why on earth did they not install the additional ticket machines at Victoria before closing the office? If my experience at Euston the other week is typical, the new system seems to be working well and the on-the-ground staff are helpful and courteous.
The additional machines had to go where the old ticket office windows were.

Smitham

Did anyone notice one of the models for the new uniform was the same lady that was in the east coast documentary a couple of years ago? The lady with the headscarf and pointy librarian glasses.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Did anyone notice one of the models for the new uniform was the same lady that was in the east coast documentary a couple of years ago? The lady with the headscarf and pointy librarian glasses.

And the BBC's "The Railway: Keeping Britain on Track", Alexia I think?

TheNewNo2

I've been pleasantly surprised by this film. It seems fairly honest, and there's a refreshing lack of Boris.

Clip

Established Member
copped an episode the other week and felt sorry fro the lad at Bank getting grief cos the DLR was on strike. He shouldve had support as he was new, allegedly.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Only just caught up with the second episode and I'm afraid I almost held my head in my hands at the response of Mike Brown, then head of the Underground just prior to his confirmation as the new Transport Commissioner, when asked by the Customer Services Assistant, or whatever they're now called, at Victoria to pay them a visit on a Saturday morning to experience the queues at the ticket machines. He looked pained and replied 'but I live in Birmingham and it'd be a rather long journey'. As PR, even if it wasn't being filmed, I'd put that close to Gerald Ratner's 'c#ap' remark about his products. How crass! I bet that long-suffering member of staff was distinctly unimpressed.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I thought it dumb to say that. I mean, come back to London with the family for a weekend trip and go spend some time looking at the station as part of it.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Only just caught up with the second episode and I'm afraid I almost held my head in my hands at the response of Mike Brown, then head of the Underground just prior to his confirmation as the new Transport Commissioner,
That was Nick Brown who is the current Managing Director (and was MD at the time of filming), not Mike Brown.

Dstock7080

Established Member
Announced before transmission of the programme:

Nick Brown will be stepping down from his role as interim Managing Director of London Underground and Rail from 6 April 2016.
Nick originally joined as interim Chief Operating Officer with the intention of staying for just three months.
Instead, over the last 18 months, Nick has led us through some of the biggest changes in LU's history, taking the reins last summer following my appointment as Commissioner.
a further announcement on future appointments in London Underground in the next few weeks.
Mike Brown, Transport Commissioner. 23 March 2016

Barn

Established Member
Only just caught up with the second episode and I'm afraid I almost held my head in my hands at the response of Mike Brown, then head of the Underground just prior to his confirmation as the new Transport Commissioner, when asked by the Customer Services Assistant, or whatever they're now called, at Victoria to pay them a visit on a Saturday morning to experience the queues at the ticket machines. He looked pained and replied 'but I live in Birmingham and it'd be a rather long journey'. As PR, even if it wasn't being filmed, I'd put that close to Gerald Ratner's 'c#ap' remark about his products. How crass! I bet that long-suffering member of staff was distinctly unimpressed.

That was cringeworthy in the extreme. "I'll come when I choose to come".

edwin_m

Veteran Member
That was cringeworthy in the extreme. "I'll come when I choose to come".

I got the impression the new ticket machines were finished soon afterwards and the problem went away. He probably turned up to bask in the glory.

Status
Not open for further replies.