• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Service 15 Launched in Hull

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Stagecoach in Hull today launched its new 'Frequento' service between Hull City Centre and Kingswood Retail/Leisure Park. The service runs every 10 minutes using a new fleet of Dennis Trident buses, and replaces the former 15/15A service, the former of which terminated short on most services at Tesco Beverley Road, around a 10-15 minute walk from Kingswood.

There was a launch in Hull's Queen Victoria Square this afternoon with a new bus on show to the public, as well as an official ceremony with the managing director and a cake cutting!

The changes will take place on Monday 24th April.

In other news, the X1 service between Grimsby and Hull which has recently been under threat because of rising Humber Bridge tolls will be saved :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

clagmonster

Established Member
laverack222 said:
In other news, the X1 service between Grimsby and Hull which has recently been under threat because of rising Humber Bridge tolls will be saved :D
Until July at least. If you don't know, Stagecoach have bought out Road CAr, subject to rubber stamping from the competition people. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw changes then regarding the cross-Humber services.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
clagmonster said:
Until July at least. If you don't know, Stagecoach have bought out Road CAr, subject to rubber stamping from the competition people. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw changes then regarding the cross-Humber services.

Yes, that is true. The 350 is currently joint operated by Roadcar/EYMS, but since Stagecoach and EYMS are huge rivals, I guess this will change.

Tomnick

Established Member
Who knows...they might actually start waiting for connecting trains at Barton one day...!

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Tomnick said:
Who knows...they might actually start waiting for connecting trains at Barton one day...!

Once the bus did actually wait for my late running train! I was really relieved as it was a cold, snowy December afternoon, and I wouldn't have wanted to wait another hour and face the wrath of my mum :lol:

Jordy

Established Member
laverack222 said:
Once the bus did actually wait for my late running train! I was really relieved as it was a cold, snowy December afternoon, and I wouldn't have wanted to wait another hour and face the wrath of my mum :lol:

But it normally doesnt...

...you all know about the Newcastle disaster ;)

Jordy

Tom B

Established Member
I've noticed Stagecoach rolling out more on ex-LRCC territory... for example the old route 64 Park Springs - Morton has been fiddled with and renamed 1. There are also some Stagecoach issue Darts, 06 reg, running these routes... and school services!

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Jordy said:
But it normally doesnt...

...you all know about the Newcastle disaster ;)

Ah yes, now that really was a chain of unfortunate events! ;)

Bighat

laverack222 said:
Stagecoach in Hull today launched its new 'Frequento' service between Hull City Centre and Kingswood Retail/Leisure Park. The service runs every 10 minutes using a new fleet of Dennis Trident buses, and replaces the former 15/15A service, the former of which terminated short on most services at Tesco Beverley Road, around a 10-15 minute walk from Kingswood.

There was a launch in Hull's Queen Victoria Square this afternoon with a new bus on show to the public, as well as an official ceremony with the managing director and a cake cutting!

The changes will take place on Monday 24th April.

I see that Stagecoach Hull have actually got an allocation of NEW Tridents, instead of its huge fleet of ex-London cast-offs.

BTW, do you konow WHY the legal lettering is for Cleveland Transit, and also why the operation is controlled by East Midlands?

clagmonster

Established Member
The worst one at Barton is when coming south. I remember once, after City had a night game in Hull Fair week, there was an accident on Anlaby Road, causing the last bus to run late. Of course, train wasn't held for the required 2 minutes at Barton. Result, pay Road Car for a run to Scunthorpe and then blag on the last Sheffield-Cleethorpes unit.
At least going north to can walk across the bridge, and either walk into Hull or catch bus/train. This is frequent move, especially on Bank Holidays when the buses and trains don't connect.

Tomnick

Established Member
It's a bit more complicated when it comes to trains waiting for buses! The train will end up out-of-path if it's held more than a couple of minutes for a delayed bus, which will first have an effect at Ulceby, and then (more importantly!) at Habrough Jn., where the Barton unit could well be held for a 'following' TPE. Then, of course, there's the knock-on effect onto the back-working!

Last time I was at Barton, 'twas on the 'Friends of the Barton Line' Easter Specials. Our last trip down (1300 ex-Cleethorpes) was very nearly cancelled due to traincrew issues, but a little intervention from the management on board appeared to sort that problem! There was a few minutes' delay though, while the driver awaited his arrival of his DTM. We made a couple of minutes up on the run to Barton, and were amazed to see that the bus was still standing there as we arrived - complete with driver looking impatiently towards the platform! We ran into the platform slightly too fast though...and ended up coming to a rather abrupt stand as he ran over the TPWS loop :oops:. Of course, there's a short delay while the TPWS 'times out' (slightly shorter than usual this time, I suspect ;))...and by the time we'd moved forward to the buffer stops...the bus was nowhere to be seen...

clagmonster

Established Member
Just an update, the X1 (Grimsby-Hull) has now got another stay of execution until 23 September. I don't know why they don't try reducing the service or a slight price increase to try and balance the books. It ,ust only be certain services making a loss, as I have travelled on a large range, and seen loadings from just ourselves (14:15 ex Grimsby) through to afull bus (peak hour workings).

Humberside

Route 53 has recently been relaunched including a diversion to the Royal Infirmary and rerouting in various areas

http://www.stagecoachbus.com/hull/news2_2298.html

As for the X1 - I would like to see a diversion into Barton for a number of reasons:

Hull buses on the 350 can often be standing room only on Saturdays when leaving Barton and also busy on weekdays. Im sure if it wasn't for the bridge toll, Hull-Barton would be half hourly. The demand is there and the X1 would go someway to meeting it withou running any extra buses over the bridge

The Barton-Grimsby bus service, particulalrly on Saturdays and at peak times is rubbish

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Route 53 has recently been relaunched including a diversion to the Royal Infirmary and rerouting in various areas

Diversions which I am happily taking advantage of :D I can now take Stagecoach to school, which works out considerably cheaper than EYMS with a child flexirider.

As for the X1 - I would like to see a diversion into Barton for a number of reasons:

Hull buses on the 350 can often be standing room only on Saturdays when leaving Barton and also busy on weekdays. Im sure if it wasn't for the bridge toll, Hull-Barton would be half hourly. The demand is there and the X1 would go someway to meeting it withou running any extra buses over the bridge

The Barton-Grimsby bus service, particulalrly on Saturdays and at peak times is rubbish

To be honest, I have never used a 350 service that has been anywhere near full, though I am not sure what it is like at the peak. The buses operated on this route by EYMS are far more suited being double deckers with a far superior capacity. Although on that note, do you know what the situation with the operation of the 350 is Humberside? Do EYMS no longer play an part in its operation, because I cannot make heads or tails of the press release on their website!

On the subject of the Barton-Grimsby service I agree, it is very poor, though the buses are actually designed to connect with the trains (although this is rarely the case as me and Jordy can say!).

It would be stupid for Stagecoach to stop the X1, and I could actually see a rerouting into Barton bringing new customers onto the service, potentially helping to secure its future.

Humberside

To be honest, I have never used a 350 service that has been anywhere near full, though I am not sure what it is like at the peak. The buses operated on this route by EYMS are far more suited being double deckers with a far superior capacity.
I was planning to use a Stagecoach service to Hull on Saturday (the 9am one) but it broke down and didn't turn up :angry8:

I had to wait for the next EYMS service. The double decker was just perfect as you say. With a single decker like Stagecoach use it would have been full and possibly standing. (The last time I used a Stagecoach service it was full)

I have never used the 350 on weekday peak hours but Saturdays are always busy with shoppers to Hull

Although on that note, do you know what the situation with the operation of the 350 is Humberside? Do EYMS no longer play an part in its operation, because I cannot make heads or tails of the press release on their website!
Stagecoach/Road Car operate 2 buses on the route, Monday to Saturday daytime and East Yorkshire the other one.

East Yorkshire run evening buses between Hull and Barton and Stagecoach evening buses between Barton and Scunthorpe

East Yorkshire and Alpha Coaches (Dunn Line) operate one bus each on the subsidised Sunday Service

On the subject of the Barton-Grimsby service I agree, it is very poor, though the buses are actually designed to connect with the trains (although this is rarely the case as me and Jordy can say!).
The thing that annoys me most is that buses to Grimsby leave at the same time as the trains. Would be nice if they left at alternate hours for a co-ordinated hourly Barton-Grimsby service

Jordy

Established Member
Indeed, the bus/train timings between Grim and Barton are very poor.

Humberside said:
Stagecoach/Road Car operate 2 buses on the route, Monday to Saturday daytime and East Yorkshire the other one.

Although as Roadcar have been taken over by Stagecoach, I suppose there are now 2 Stagecoach ones.

Jordy

Tomnick

Established Member
The thing that annoys me most is that buses to Grimsby leave at the same time as the trains. Would be nice if they left at alternate hours for a co-ordinated hourly Barton-Grimsby service
That's the thing though - the bus service is running in direct competition with the train service. This might also partly explain the unreliable connections with the 350 at Barton, as it's in Stagecoach/RoadCar's own interests to push passengers away from the train and onto their own parallel service!

Humberside

Great news - the X1 has been saved

http://www.stagecoachbus.com/grimsbycleethorpes/serviceinformation_2277.html

We are pleased to announce that the future for Service X1 has been secured. Discussions with the Humber Bridge Boards, local authorities and Humberside Airports has been very successful, with all parties pledging their support for the continuation of the service. The Humber Bridge board has agreed to discount the tolls for crossing the Humber Bridge by a further 35%, whilst the local authorities and Humberside Airport have offered financial assistance to help reduce the losses made by the service. With all the support we are now confident that we can develop a future for the service between Grimsby and Hull. For the time being the timetable will remain the same, whilst discussion continue to develop ways of making the service viable for the long term without so much financial assistance​

Status
Not open for further replies.