• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Signaller Assessment News

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeAndJoe

As of a couple of days ago, the Assessment Centre process has been done away with to speed up the process of applications.

This has been replaced with a three online assessments, the first two you had to complete anyway as part of the previous system.

I thought the old process was quite comprehensive and a good way of measuring ability, especially the lift counting etc, as there is no way to measure this now with the new system.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

verve76

As of a couple of days ago, the Assessment Centre process has been done away with to speed up the process of applications.

This has been replaced with a four online assessments, the first two you had to complete anyway as part of the previous system.

I thought the old process was quite comprehensive and a good way of measuring ability, especially the lift counting etc, as there is no way to measure this now with the new system.

Thoughts?

Very interesting - will it affect those who have already passed the assessment centre (i.e. will you know need to pass the online assessments?)

SmokeAndJoe

Was told this by HR yesterday, apparently they can't wait six months anymore to get people to an assessment centre!

I have no idea how it affects internal recruitment, if at all. I don't know the procedure internally so I couldn't comment.

Some applications will be affected, one of mine has already. You will receive another 'invite to test' the scores for which will be held for a year.

techybit

I must say the assessment was thorough. I failed the lift counting the first time round but passed second time round, long way to Euston for that. Hope the online Ines will be as thorough!

flappy8

I did my assessment last year through the normal system and it was pretty comprehensive and under controlled conditions. If its done as an online test how can they ensure the identity of the person undertaking the test rather than a third party?

SmokeAndJoe

I did my assessment last year through the normal system and it was pretty comprehensive and under controlled conditions. If its done as an online test how can they ensure the identity of the person undertaking the test rather than a third party?
My thoughts exactly.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
So what are the four online assessments?
Can't remember the first two, they were done before I was invited to assessment. The second two are numerical reasoning and verbal reasoning.

Last edited:

KneeOn

My thoughts exactly.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Can't remember the first two, they were done before I was invited to assessment. The second two are numerical reasoning and verbal reasoning.

It would be safe to assume the SJT was one of the assesments online prior to the old assessment day.

I'm trying to recall which old (2014) online test was with the SJT.

Add in verbal and numerical reasoning and it seems, dare I say, easier. Most TOCs have a test covering these three.

be96erj

This has been replaced with a four online assessments, the first two you had to complete anyway as part of the previous system.

Thoughts?
Just called recruitment and the person that I spoke to said the above is untrue and that old assessment day results still stand!

Do you have any written confirmation of the above?

SmokeAndJoe

Just called recruitment and the person that I spoke to said the above is untrue and that old assessment day results still stand!

Do you have any written confirmation of the above?

No, apart from having to do the new assessments myself. I've spoken to a few people there, some have absolutely no knowledge, and weren't that helpful in general, but the girl that told me that seemed to be very informed on the process.

I spoke to a man earlier in the day who didn't understand why I had to do the new tests, he just said do them. Not wanting to just accept that, I called back and found the rest out.

I imagine it will take a while for everyone to be on the same page?

Hull D

If you look at the signaller jobs currently advertised, the processes differ; Some are as they were before xmas, online tests, assessment centre, interview, and some say online tests, top scores to interview. It would appear that they haven't got it all sorted yet. Best to just apply, and go through what they say.
I would like to think, they told me my assessment centre tests are valid for 3 years, they will honour that, but not holding my breath..........

NX

I was told in 2012 my assessment centre was valid for 10 years, the process has changed twice in the period since.

KneeOn

A small update to this:

A number of still open or positions that you may have applied for prior to the change in assesments still show the 72 hours SJT, assessment day and then interview process.

Norwich (grade 2 or 3) is showing the new process which is

1. Application
2. Online tests "including a situational judgement, verbal and numerical reasoning"
3. Interview
4. Pre-employment screening and medical.

No word on the fourth test mentioned in this thread though.

TRain87

Another update. I got a job offered to me in December - if at any point I want to apply for another job, my assessment center scores won't count and I need to do the online tests again if I'm successful in a new application!

MylesHSG

Have they really thought this through? I mean how will they know who has actually done the test, could get a family member or friend!

Donachie

Have they really thought this through? I mean how will they know who has actually done the test, could get a family member or friend!

I have completed the new online tests.

They are trying to find out how quickly YOU can absorbed information and come to the correct answer.

I think if you get someone else to do them for you and then are fortunate enough to pass interview , then you may well get found out at training school , as you will struggle.

They are not easy but if you cant do them the job is probably not for you or me.

Donachie.

Last edited:

MylesHSG

They are trying to find out how quickly YOU can absorbed information and come to the correct answer.

I think if you get someone else to do them for you and then are fortunate enough to pass interview , then you may well get found out at training school , as you will struggle.

They are not easy but if you cant do them the job is probably not for you or me.

Donachie.

I agree, signalling school is tough. I'm just about to start my final week!

KneeOn

Donachie.

What are the tests? We have established SJT, English and Maths but someone said there are four tests?

Thank you :)

OneTrackMind

One of my applications which was due to be under the old system has been reallocated to a new IRC with the title "Signaller Volume Vacancy for new Signaller Process"

They must be moving everybody across in chunks which I can imagine is going to be a bit of a nightmare!

Mongolfiera

New to the forums, just thought I would add my input here as have just completed the new tests.

So far at least, I have only been asked to complete 3;
1) numerical reasoning
2) verbal reasoning
3) what they called instrument, but I imagine it is the SJT that you are referring to, it was the one test with no time limit (so far as you are made aware anyway, though it does state that you should not take too long on any one question).

The verbal and numerical reasoning were both very challenging, and the time limit is not at all generous. I have a close friend who is a psychologist, and their company uses the same tests, apparently they are designed this way; to put you under pressure, and it is unclear whether you are expected to complete them within the time or not. They are apparently measuring all sorts in the background that the user isn't necessarily aware of.

The numerical reasoning in particular involved relatively complex calculations, where paper and calculator were encouraged (though the answers are multiple choice) the calculations often contained multiple aspects (couldn't resist ;)) to complete for each question before you can arrive at the answer. Meanwhile the timer is constantly counting down, and you are trying to rationalise how many questions are left, and how much time to allocate to them, the difficulty was not a linear increase, and you can't go back to a question once you move on so it's all a balancing act. I was certainly feeling the pressure by the end.

If it's been a long time since any formal study or using calculations, brushing up on some maths prior to the tests would be recommended. Fingers crossed!

Cavan

Thanks for the useful post.

What sort of maths are we looking at?

I'm thinking these test for signallers are now the same tests NR use for the grad scheme application - SHL type test used there.

Is it all graphs and table analysis in the numerical? With a heavy focus on percentages?

signallerscot

If it is stuff like that then it's total overkill. When I started they tested you on basic speed distance time calcs and to be honest that's a bit advanced for what the role requires. If you can tell the time, and do simple addition and subtraction then you can be a signaller.

SmokeAndJoe

If it is stuff like that then it's total overkill. When I started they tested you on basic speed distance time calcs and to be honest that's a bit advanced for what the role requires. If you can tell the time, and do simple addition and subtraction then you can be a signaller.
It really is that, but I'm not complaining.

Definitely more challenging that the Assessment Centre was.

I guess it's getting similar to the army and many other career options where there are lots of applicants. They can afford to be more choosy.

KneeOn

I sat mine today.

The practice verbal reasoning SHL offer to anyone on their website was harder than the NR one.

Maths isn't difficult - being able to calculate percentages etc. However a number of the questions involved multiple independent calculations which eats your time. I didn't finish the questions and doubt I will have done enough to complete the benchmark even if all were correct. I wasted two minutes having to redo one of the bigger questions because I added up the wrong figures!

The SJT is the SJT. Warning: unlike the verbal/mathematical ones, it is untimed. Do not think it is a practice (maths/verbal reasoning had untimed practices)

Good luck everyone!

MoorsBox

I just sat Maths and Verbal Test online,
and I would agree with you KneeOn.....the practice tests were harder the the NR ones

Again though, like when I went to the Assessment centre, you don't appear to be able to see your results, or have the opportunity to re try, to try to improve your scores.

Last edited:

KneeOn

I just sat Maths and Verbal Test online,
and I would agree with you KneeOn.....the practice tests were harder the the NR ones

Again though, like when I went to the Assessment centre, you don't appear to be able to see your results, or have the opportunity to re try, to try to improve your scores.

I found the maths practice at the start of the NR one to be far, far easier (8/8) than the test that follows. I found all verbal practices (SHLs own and the one on the NR one) harder than the actual NR test!

Good luck, which box did you apply for?

Status
Not open for further replies.