• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New signals on Merseyrail Northern Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
Whilst walking over one of the Cressington bridges last night, I noticed what appears to be new signals.

The Liverpool bound line was showing green, but also had another indicator underneath which was displaying the letters "TT" (in white), but as a train from Hunts Cross approached the platform, the "TT" message turned off. The green aspect remained until the train had departed (as expected) and eventually turned red, but the extra indicator stayed off (no image showing at all).

I was in the process of taking a photograph, but the "TT" message went off before I could get one and as it was dark there wasn't much point thereafter!

Can someone please explain what this additional screen is indicating please?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

507 001

Established Member
TT means Tripcock Test. There’s a device there that ensures the trains tripcock arm is in the right place, should the ‘TT’ indication not go out the driver needs to stop and contact the signaller.

Liverpool 507

Whilst walking over one of the Cressington bridges last night, I noticed what appears to be new signals.

The Liverpool bound line was showing green, but also had another indicator underneath which was displaying the letters "TT" (in white), but as a train from Hunts Cross approached the platform, the "TT" message turned off. The green aspect remained until the train had departed (as expected) and eventually turned red, but the extra indicator stayed off (no image showing at all).

I was in the process of taking a photograph, but the "TT" message went off before I could get one and as it was dark there wasn't much point thereafter!

Can someone please explain what this additional screen is indicating please?

There’s more new signals being rolled out across the Merseyrail network

jamesst

Thank you.

Theres also trip tester signs located at Liverpool Central Northern line (Moorfields end), Birkenhead North (Liverpool direction all platforms), Birkenhead Central up platform and outside Sandhills (can be viewed from the road bridge)

QueensCurve

Established Member
TT means Tripcock Test. There’s a device there that ensures the trains tripcock arm is in the right place, should the ‘TT’ indication not go out the driver needs to stop and contact the signaller.
I didn't realise Merseyrail used Tripcock. Is it the same as that used on London Underground?

jamesst

I didn't realise Merseyrail used Tripcock. Is it the same as that used on London Underground?
Pretty much. Tripcocks are only used on the underground section of Merseyrail using the Axle counter system. Open areas are fully track circuited.

Liverpool 507

New LED signal lamp heads are starting to appear more across the network now. ML92 at Hightown has now been replaced with a new LED lamp head.

Status
Not open for further replies.