New South Shields Station

Discussion in 'Other Public Transport' started by Scott M, 30 Jul 2019.

1. Scott M

Scott M Member

New South Shields station is looking nice. Metro allowed a photographer inside, and their photos have now been published here: https://www.facebook.com/southshields360com

On a more negative note, noticing tramps approaching people at ticket machines trying to sell used tickets is becoming a lot more prevalent, especially at the core stations. A lot of them are quite pushy too and will not take no for an answer. I wonder if Nexus know this is becoming a problem.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. jkkne

jkkne Member

Said tramps being on the trains is even more of a problem of late (often accompanied by a can of Fosters)

£21m doesn't even seem to buy you a roof over the platform for your passengers, it's a good job Shields has such a balmy climate!

4. Paul_10

Paul_10 Member

Yep I actually don't think the platform area is all that much of an improvement at all really although no doubt the esculators are a welcome addition.

The bus station looks a huge improvement though and hopefully should be a better environment to be in on those cold wet and windy nights.

5. jkkne

jkkne Member

Finally made the trip along at the weekend to see what Nexus are calling the best station in the land...

It’s very very white and somewhat clinical. There’s a lot of wasted space at the top of the escalators and a lack of seating, lots of those horrible metro metal benches.

There’s no toilets at all which is a surprise, even stations like Four Lane Ends have the 20p toilets.

There’s no management of the barriers when a train arrives meaning you’ve no hope getting through until all passengers have tapped out.

There’s a new Greggs opening soon...the 352nd in South Shields.

The Metro timetable boards don’t work.

It’s certainly a huge improvement for bus passengers- unless you want to walk to the market with limited mobility- not sure for metro users. The lack of platform roof astounds me.

6. trainophile

trainophile Established Member

I was there this morning, and there were three or four staff around the barriers, so I don't think beggars would have much of a chance. Yesterday evening I popped in too, (hoping to buy today's ticket but was told I could only do so on the day of travel, which also seems a bit absurd). There were two official looking staff members in the concourse then too.

Seems crazy to build a big new complex like that without any toilets. There's none on the Metro trains obviously, so it's a sprint to Morrisons or Asda if you're in need before or after travelling, which is not recommended with luggage.

Only three ticket machines, must be a bit chaotic at peak times.