• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New South Western franchise: Awarded to First/MTR

Status
Not open for further replies.

greaterwest

Established Member
During peak rush hour Clapham Junction is currently 1 hour and 5 minutes away from Farnborough if you go via Waterloo or 1 hour 22 minutes to 1 hour 35 minutes or you don't.
I'm still not sure that people will interchange at Farnborough even if trains don't stop at Clapham Junction in the rush hour, especially Gatwick passengers who are likely to have lots of luggage/the family/etc.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Ham

Established Member
I'm still not sure that people will interchange at Farnborough even if trains don't stop at Clapham Junction in the rush hour, especially Gatwick passengers who are likely to have lots of luggage/the family/etc.

If it wasn't as far (and I have walked it in the past) then at least in terms of train comfort level it would be a reasonable interchange point. In that upto Farnborough in the peak isn't too bad and unless the previous train hasn't been cancelled it's easy to get off at Farnborough as a significant number of other people do to (possibly more than get off at Woking). Then given that the Gatwick services have a LOT of people also get off at Farnborough North (possibly as many as a few hundred from some services) there's often a very good chance of getting a seat when boarding there.

However, few people are likely to change the due to the long walk, although some may do so by using a taxi which would add (IIRC) about £6 to the cost. Which probably wouldn't be a deal breaker, however would be extra over the cost of train tickets via Clapham even in the peaks. However as it wouldn't show on journey planners only those who knew about it being a possible option would check.

HowardGWR

Established Member
We discussed why there is no shuttle bus (as at Yeovil) previously. These hundreds who get off at Farnborough North; where do you estimate they originate from out of interest? I mean, I know the train starts at Reading, but....

The Ham

Established Member
We discussed why there is no shuttle bus (as at Yeovil) previously. These hundreds who get off at Farnborough North; where do you estimate they originate from out of interest? I mean, I know the train starts at Reading, but....

A lot of them are students either heading to Farnborough 6th Form College, Farnborough Tech College or the private schools. As such they are mostly from the stations between Wokingham and Farnborough, with a higher percentage from the closer stations.

HowardGWR

Established Member
I notice that at present, if you were going to taxi it from Main, then you need to be taken to North Camp, as the fasts to Gatwick don't stop at North. That's 4 kms instead of 1.

The Ham

Established Member
I notice that at present, if you were going to taxi it from Main, then you need to be taken to North Camp, as the fasts to Gatwick don't stop at North. That's 4 kms instead of 1.

I was specifically talking about in the peaks where several trains that go to Gatwick do call at Farnborough North.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Yet more delays yesterday morning and again for people in the evenkng.

I read one comment on Twitter about the app not have details of all the train changes. I don't use the app but I do check Journey Check and there are timez I find when train alterations for some services are not shiwby in it.

Tese are in National Rail Enquiries, so it's not as if they aren't recorded anywhere.

Does anyone know if the app is fed by the same system as Journey Check?

I appreciate during disruption that things can change constantly so, it's not easy to keep on top of things. However with so much disruption seeming to occur, it would make sense to try and get all the information in. This helps keep passengers on their side.

When I say so much I am aware that most trains probably won't encounter disruption. I use the term in relation to what I imagine are passenger expectations. I may be wrong of course about expectations.

HowardGWR

Established Member
I was specifically talking about in the peaks where several trains that go to Gatwick do call at Farnborough North.
Fair enough. I found one at 0800 and one at 1800: those must have been the ones you meant. However, for airport destined pax, those also stop at North Camp too, so that station would be favourite, I would have thought.
The trains that only go as far as Redhill are not a lot of cop for those with cases either. Of course, were it to become a promoted route, a shuttle bus would be laid on and one of the two stations would be designated as the change point. It's not going to happen, unless it becomes very desirable to remove changing airport-destined pax from Clapham Junction. With our franchise set up, I can't see that happening unless SWR really are serious about not stopping at CLJ both at peak times and outside them, which was their proposition in the consultation.

aar0

Not sure if this is the right place for it, or if it deserves a new thread, but 2C97, the SWR from London to Reading, has been stuck at Sunningdale for over an hour due to a power failure - already missed one connection at Reading for the GWR to Swansea...

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Given the bid made yesterday for First Group (already killed off by the Directors) it will be interesting to see if a better offer gets enough support to see a change in ownership before long.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Sounds like a new male computer generated voice has been installed on the station announcing system at Grateley.

Very much like the voice on the 707s in that it sounds artificial with gaps within words (Lon... Don Water... Loo).

(Either that or water has got into the speakers)

Goldfish62

Established Member
Not sure if this is the right place for it, or if it deserves a new thread, but 2C97, the SWR from London to Reading, has been stuck at Sunningdale for over an hour due to a power failure - already missed one connection at Reading for the GWR to Swansea...
I was on the train behind. After 12 consecutive SWR journeys bang on time to the minute I got unlucky number 13. Carried over from SWT was the usual situation that I was having to give the guard information from my mobile because she was being told nothing. My instinct was to remain on the train rather than wait for a non existent bus from Virginia Water, and it proved to be the right course of action.

AverageTD

I was on the train behind. After 12 consecutive SWR journeys bang on time to the minute I got unlucky number 13. Carried over from SWT was the usual situation that I was having to give the guard information from my mobile because she was being told nothing. My instinct was to remain on the train rather than wait for a non existent bus from Virginia Water, and it proved to be the right course of action.
I’m not sure I’ve had 12 on time SWR services since it took over. It took me 2 months to get my first on time train

SWT_USER

Are SWR having problems with their delay repay? I've got claims from 23/03 and 27/03 still outstanding and it's over the 10 working days they state it will take. They've been fine up to now.

Established Member
Are SWR having problems with their delay repay? I've got claims from 23/03 and 27/03 still outstanding and it's over the 10 working days they state it will take. They've been fine up to now.
Due to a high volume of refund applications from constant delays and poor service, it is taking much longer to process.

I imagine this week people that travel through and from Wimbledon will be making that queue even longer.

randompixel

I've had 22/03 and 27/03 as "Accepted" - just not yet paid. I'm sure they'll get round to you soon.

SWT_USER

I've had 22/03 and 27/03 as "Accepted" - just not yet paid. I'm sure they'll get round to you soon.

Yes the claims are accepted and have been for at least a week. I would have thought once they've been accepted the payment process was automated so shouldn't incur a delay (unlike the trains, etc, etc).

fairysdad

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
The problem I've been having with the delay repay recently is that I've submitted a few claims and have had emails through saying that they need (another) copy of my ticket/Oyster statement. The problem is that although they've given me the claim reference number, I have absolutely no idea what the date of travel was to provide them with what they want... I reckon they are deliberately making it annoying to do to prevent people from claiming...

(Although they did refund me a week's worth of my season ticket from December when I admitted defeat when a member of staff in the Waterloo ticket office gave me wrong information about claiming...)

infobleep

Veteran Member
Due to a high volume of refund applications from constant delays and poor service, it is taking much longer to process.

I imagine this week people that travel through and from Wimbledon will be making that queue even longer.
The delays issues his morning got me wondering what the disruption change plabs will be like post December.

Today Hampton Court services were only running as a shuttle to Surbtion.

The down Woking stopper was stopping additionally at Raynes Park, New Malden and Berrylands and passengers told to circulate via Surbiton

From December during the peaks the Woking trains will be using the fast line so unless they stop the Guildford via Cobham trains, Berrylands wouldn't be served during the peaks.

Anyone wanting to travel from Berrylands to New Malden would have been able to claim 30 minute compensation today. Usual journey time is 3 minutes. Today it was on average 38 minutes with two changes.

Incidenally the 8.07 made a rare stop at Wimbledon today. I guess they felt the 46 minute gap between services from Surbiton, if it hadnt stopped, was too great.

I also look forward to finding out what the winter snow timetable will be, assuming it too changes from December. Alas I'll probably be waitijg quite, as it doesn't snow often enough!

infobleep

Veteran Member
Ye gads. For the majority it would have been literally quicker to walk.
Except for those who were on the 17:28 New Malden to Hampton Court.

When I saw the 17:06 was running I just assumed it was a train they forgot to cancel from the system and carried on with what I was doing.

However it was actually a positioning move so they coudctun a train shuttle between Surbtion and Hampton Court until 20:00. I assumed they'd been running such a shuttle all day but actually they hadn't, only during the peaks. The rest of the time it was buses, as it was in the peaks too. This did lead to the rare event of Berrylands have three trains an hour to Surbiton between 17:00 and 18:00.

Hoping to fix the problems tonight for a normal service tomorrow.

These infrastructure and other issues aren't going to go away anytime soon so I imagine the increased timetable of trains in December will just mean an increased number of trains delayed. Increased due to them purely running more trains.

I assume that would lead to an increase in delay attribution costs, which for South Western Railway might be offset by an increase in passenger numbers on the additional trains

Last edited:

hozza94

Announcing further action is all very well, but if they are as ineffective as the last lot who will take any notice?
How ineffective were they? I presume that SWR has enough contingency guards to cover all timetabled services?

TEW

Established Member
How ineffective were they? I presume that SWR has enough contingency guards to cover all timetabled services?
No they don't. 60%-70% of services running is the figure given. Even if a passenger doesn't notice any disruption, there will still be an impact to the company.

dorsetdesiro

I'll be off to Scotland on the 14th, I already booked the coach to London for getting the train from Kings Cross. I'd a feeling more strikes were going to happen as the RMT are being like a dog with a bone refusing to let go.

I read on some newsites that SWR are being put under government review, I don't think they'll be stripped of the franchise as happened to Connex that I think they'll have improvement measures imposed on them. NR's infrastructure screw-ups could help SWR to keep the franchise. Does anyone reckon NR will get just a slap on the wrist through heavy fines or face being disbanded?

TEW

Established Member
I'll be off to Scotland on the 14th, I already booked the coach to London for getting the train from Kings Cross. I'd a feeling more strikes were going to happen as the RMT are being like a dog with a bone refusing to let go.
SWR have been refusing to talk to the RMT for months now, I would hardly lay all the blame at the RMTs door. You will remember that just a month ago RMT members voted to continue the industrial action.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I bet there will be some guards looking at the prospect of losing 5 days pay in one month and will decide to ignore the RMT's action this time round (depends on how much they will get back from the RMT for taking action)

pompeyfan

Established Member
I bet there will be some guards looking at the prospect of losing 5 days pay in one month and will decide to ignore the RMT's action this time round (depends on how much they will get back from the RMT for taking action)

The way the pay periods work, it’s 2 days in one pay packet, and 3 in the next, there’s also backdated payrise due in one of those pay packets, even still, many I’ve spoken too remain committed, even if they’re disgruntled.

Goldfish62

Established Member
No they don't. 60%-70% of services running is the figure given. Even if a passenger doesn't notice any disruption, there will still be an impact to the company.
Indeed. The cost of the management time in devising emergency timetables and covering work with contingency guards who in turn are unable to do their day job must be immense.

Status
Not open for further replies.