• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New South Western franchise: Awarded to First/MTR

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Probe launched into SWR and NR performance

I wonder how much of this is just down to SWR being the local franchise of the Transport Secretary, or just because it runs through a lot of conservative seats. Either way, it'll no doubt lay most of the blame at Network Rail's feet.

Edit: Just to add that I've been perusing Michael Holden's twitter, and he's said that he'll be looking as far back as 2010, which is when "a downward trend first became apparent".
If he is looking as far back as 2010, should this review happened sooner?

Given Network Rail are investing £2 billion will that resolve the issues? Hopefully the review will be able to help Network Rail target the £2 billion where it is most needed.

I can't say where that is as I'm not an expert in all of this.

The signalling issues seem to occur almost anywhere, although I'm sure in practice that actually isn't the case. I don't know which lines have the most issues but lately they have had problems on the Portsmouth Direct.

Regular delays in the evening seem to be down to passenger numbers using the trains. Maybe more trains will help with that or maybe the new trains being built will, if more trains doesn't. Of course the government specifies the kind of trains and the 707s met what they specified.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Domh245

Established Member
Perhaps it should have been, but for whatever reason it has only become truly unsatisfactory since SWR took over. Whether that is because they aren't as good at handling the delays, because the infrastructure finally went past the critical point having been declining for years, or just because everyone had high hopes for them will no doubt be discussed in the report.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Vauxhall is far too popular a stop to skip. You would probably create more issues than you would solve by skipping it.
It is indeed. Popular stop. Of course South Western Railway are planning to extend the gap at Clapham Junction for the fast lines. Will that create problems or are long distance services more immune to gaps in the timetable.

I appreciate why they are putting in the extended gaps. I'm just looking at it from the point of view of the first trains to stop there after the gap.

TEW

Established Member
SWR had indicated to staff that they were willing to go to ACAS if the strikes were called off, it would reflect very poorly on them if they didn't now arrange talks.

Status
Not open for further replies.