• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Spitfire Tours

Status
Not open for further replies.

New tours advertised on Spitfires website

sat 7th feb The Fellsman Chopper 2x DRS Class 20

Birmingham Int to Carlisle via S&C

sat 7th march The Celtic Growler 2x WCRC Class 37

Preston to Edinburgh

I'm sure i'll be doing the 20s

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

class 313

Established Member
We need some more London tours with decent traction which aren't Skips.

Last edited:

Established Member
We need some more London tours!

Didn't Spitfire run a tour from London back in September and it was the lighest loaded one they've run? Most of there other northern starting trains have filled well or sold out so surely they will keep running the money making tours? And if theres a tour you want to do that doesn't start by you travel, others have to ;)

class 313

Established Member
Didn't Spitfire run a tour from London back in September and it was the lighest loaded one they've run? Most of there other northern starting trains have filled well or sold out so surely they will keep running the money making tours? And if theres a tour you want to do that doesn't start by you travel, others have to ;)

With half the tour with a 73 on juice, what did they expect! :-x

Established Member
With half the tour with a 73 on juice, what did they expect! :-x

Lots of they London area people who moan that they have no rateable tours going for a day out with (on region) heritage traction. And considering most of the tours i've been on this year we've only had the locos on the std end one way anyway so you could have had the thrash there with the 33 and nothing on the way back which is what most tours are like anyway with the locos 10 coaches away on the FC end in one direction!

richa2002

Established Member
Lots of they London area people who moan that they have no rateable tours going for a day out with (on region) heritage traction. And considering most of the tours i've been on this year we've only had the locos on the std end one way anyway so you could have had the thrash there with the 33 and nothing on the way back which is what most tours are like anyway with the locos 10 coaches away on the FC end in one direction!
Alternatively, could have had the 73 on the way there and the 33 on the FC end going back. Not a risk one is prepared to take.

Established Member
Alternatively, could have had the 73 on the way there and the 33 on the FC end going back. Not a risk one is prepared to take.

I presume they would have made sure it was the 33 on the std end, had the set in London days before the tour so coulkd easily be marshelled and beats having angry passengers after they are bowled for the thrash.

theblackwatch

Established Member
I presume they would have made sure it was the 33 on the std end, had the set in London days before the tour so coulkd easily be marshelled and beats having angry passengers after they are bowled for the thrash.

It seems rather a lame excuse, worrying about what end a loco will be at. This excuse didn't wash for the other crank tours out of London which have also suffered low bookings - the 40 from Padd to Penzance being one, and the (cancelled) trip with the Western to Falmouth also only had a low number of bookings. Tour operators are going to run trains from areas where they know they will receive plenty of support.

richa2002

Established Member
It's not lame at all considering you're paying for the thrash... Funny how the Buffer Puffers are always fully booked though even when they run a relief as well. It's all about providing an interesting route and proper traction. 37s pull people in; fact!

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I expect I shall be on the chopper tour to Carlisle

Galvanize

Yeah, I did that tour 8-) Unfortunatly the stock was marshalled with the support coach, then the sole FC coach, THEN coach A, after the 33! Not to worry, we could all still hear it 3 coaches away! Needless to say, the ED on the way back was boring (sorry 73109 :lol:)

As far as London tours go, it would be brilliant if Spitfire can actually run that Wizzo tour from London to Penzance next year, that they origionally pencilled in for July this year!

Established Member
It seems rather a lame excuse, worrying about what end a loco will be at. This excuse didn't wash for the other crank tours out of London which have also suffered low bookings - the 40 from Padd to Penzance being one, and the (cancelled) trip with the Western to Falmouth also only had a low number of bookings. Tour operators are going to run trains from areas where they know they will receive plenty of support.

Well said, i'm sure at some point we've all been on tours where a bit of wrong marshalling or routing has meant that coach A will be at the back all day, if there hadn't have been a farce on the Alloa tour all we would have had behind the locos was Glasgow - Deanside loop, all of about 5 miles (in the event the set got turned due to a farce with 417's headlight) but no one was moaning just having a laugh, there was about 10 in our party and banter kept the day interesting! Also what was that spiutfire tour, £40? Considering how little tours Londoners are always moaning they get you would think with all the money they must have saved they could afford this little outing and show operators there is a market?

It's not lame at all considering you're paying for the thrash... Funny how the Buffer Puffers are always fully booked though even when they run a relief as well. It's all about providing an interesting route and proper traction. 37s pull people in; fact!

Buffer Puffers load to what? 6 Coaches? Take out a support and thats four STD and one FC. Put a piar of 37's on in the winter months which is the 'off season' for most pres lines plue lots of rare curves that will get the quail society all whipped up and you have a winning formula for selling out a low load train!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Quite so...

Mind you, these same Londoners moaned when The Valenta Venturer didn't start/finish in London!

The rest of the country travels for their choice of tours. I did when I went on The Western Refiner, all the way to London for it (one could hardly join at Cardiff and miss out on most of the fun!) and back.

I also went up to Linlithgow for The Far North Explorer and came back from there afterwards.

There's bound to be other examples but I can't remember many others right now. Thing is, you make the effort to go out for a decent tour if it's one you really want to do. Unless you live in London, then it's got to start there with some 37s or it's not worth doing...:roll:

richa2002

Established Member
Buffer Puffers load to what? 6 Coaches? Take out a support and thats four STD and one FC. Put a piar of 37's on in the winter months which is the 'off season' for most pres lines plue lots of rare curves that will get the quail society all whipped up and you have a winning formula for selling out a low load train!
I deliberately mentioned the relief train so that's about the equivalent of one tour.

Established Member
I have made the effort before, going to Swindon for 5am...

Yes I also didi that tour from Swindon and back to Newport and i don't think anyone could complain it wasn't worth that effort (unless it was a normal on a day out) for 410's thrash on the return, however since that i have done two other tours out of Swindon on May 5th and May 26th.

I deliberately mentioned the relief train so that's about the equivalent of one tour.

Yes but how many of the Buffer Puffers have been the same, lets look at the last two, The ones that ran in Feb & march this year both started different places and had slightly different routings meaning the track men will do them both, at the same time the loco men will do them both as well. The Silverlink Swansong featured different traction on each tour (on one end) changing the type of people who would do the tour.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Quite so...

Mind you, these same Londoners moaned when The Valenta Venturer didn't start/finish in London!

Yes it does seem that certain people seem to expect every tour to start on their doorstep. For me, even tours starting up north often involves travel between 50 and 100 miles to join the train, with hotels on occasions too. Looking at the tours I've done this year, I've ended up travelling to Manchester Victoria, Crewe, Retford, Victoria, Coleshill Parkway, Crewe (again), Dublin, Westbury, Birmingham International, Chesterfield, Blackpool North, Crewe (yet again) and Carnforth to join tours - all over 50 miles from home. Five of these involved staying in hotels before or after the trips. Sometimes you have to make an effort if you want to do a tour!

class 313

Established Member
Yes I also didi that tour from Swindon and back to Newport and i don't think anyone could complain it wasn't worth that effort (unless it was a normal on a day out) for 410's thrash on the return, however since that i have done two other tours out of Swindon on May 5th and May 26th.

Yes but how many of the Buffer Puffers have been the same, lets look at the last two, The ones that ran in Feb & march this year both started different places and had slightly different routings meaning the track men will do them both, at the same time the loco men will do them both as well. The Silverlink Swansong featured different traction on each tour (on one end) changing the type of people who would do the tour.

Also, both Swansons also went slightly different routes.

richa2002

Established Member
My point exactly, more attractive tours like that need to be run.

theblackwatch

Established Member
http://www.railtourinfo.co.uk/diesel.html

Plenty on there for London .... Stop moaning for once please.

I'd forgotten Pathfinder had two tours out of London in December (the Spin and Win, plus D1015 to East Anglia). There's also a tour in January with UK Railtours from King's Cross to Preston featuring a 92 and 60. Time for some people to put their money where their mouths (or keyboards) are I think!

class 313

Established Member
http://www.railtourinfo.co.uk/diesel.html

Plenty on there for London .... Stop moaning for once please.

Most of which are 67s and Blue Pullman style tours, or steam. :roll: With 2/3 with decent traction. Even then its for part of the tour.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Bravo! Have a medal!
This year I had to get to Southall for 06:00 and then back home the same day every Wednesday for the Cathedrals Expresses, including two in one week.
And I'm sure other people have done far more than that to get to a railtour!

Sarcasm, the lowest form of whit.

Also its pretty funny how the people telling us to stop moaning don't actually live in London... But hey, if London got all the tours you lot would be moaning that there wasn't anything decent where you could get to.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Quite so...

Ermm, that was more to do with the fact that it was a hardly a farewell when only part of the MML was covered.

Last edited:

Established Member
Of course everyone would like to have locally starting tours, but it seems unless you live in Crewe you are bowled. When you begin to talk about two nights hotels, travel to/from the start point and the tour ching itself it becomes a very expensive weekend - nice if you can afford it but if you simply can't afford hotels and the other 'on-top' chings, or can't get away for three days or whatever it would get very frustrating missing out on tours you'd want to do. Thats why you get people moaning when another tour starts picks up in Crewe and Brum for the umpteenth time whilst other areas (and its not just London i hasten to add) have far fewer.

class 313

Established Member
Of course everyone would like to have locally starting tours, but it seems unless you live in Crewe you are bowled. When you begin to talk about two nights hotels, travel to/from the start point and the tour ching itself it becomes a very expensive weekend - nice if you can afford it but if you simply can't afford hotels and the other 'on-top' chings, or can't get away for three days or whatever it would get very frustrating missing out on tours you'd want to do. Thats why you get people moaning when another tour starts picks up in Crewe and Brum for the umpteenth time whilst other areas (and its not just London i hasten to add) have far fewer.

Exactly, well said mate.

glenn

Yes it does seem that certain people seem to expect every tour to start on their doorstep. For me, even tours starting up north often involves travel between 50 and 100 miles to join the train, with hotels on occasions too. Looking at the tours I've done this year, I've ended up travelling to Manchester Victoria, Crewe, Retford, Victoria, Coleshill Parkway, Crewe (again), Dublin, Westbury, Birmingham International, Chesterfield, Blackpool North, Crewe (yet again) and Carnforth to join tours - all over 50 miles from home. Five of these involved staying in hotels before or after the trips. Sometimes you have to make an effort if you want to do a tour!

Yep agree,not everything is going to start within a 50 mile radius of your front door,but its an added financial bonus if it does start at a start at a station close by.
All tour operators have various pricing on the tours and obviously people way this up against pertol and hotel on top of the tour.
The most attractive pricing wise at the moment i personally feel is Spitfire and also the various traction as well.
I'm sure they will have a good 2009 if prices are kept below there competitors.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Why should he if they don't appeal?

Has he said they don't? If they don't appeal, don't bother - but it is a bit odd to come up with a statement "We need some more London tours" when in fact there are several you aren't supporting.

If a tour isn't supported, why should an operator bother risking running one from that area again? If a promoter run 2 railtours and Train A starts in London and makes a loss, filling only 3 or 4 carriages, but Train B runs from the North West/Yorkshire and is 12 coaches fully booked, then common business sense dictates that in future, they will run trains from the area where they have been well patronised in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.