• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New starter - Covid-19 impact on employment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azzypaul

Got a email from southeastern inviting me for a assessment.and book via the assessment centre scheduling tool.but it’s not on there careers website .i guess it’s due to the pandemic.any one else had the same problem thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Yes, I have been told the same about the Contract being honoured, which is really good of them. I actually think if I would have already handed my notice in ( I too waited till the last minute) I would have been paid by them until training commenced. However, it made more sense to carry on earning a higher level of income until such time th courses are resolved. I have to take my hat off to them, as they have given me some hope in these times and certainly gives me some optimism for the future. Which TOC are you hopefully going to be joining?
Northern Trains. Yes people who had given notice will be paid as I understand. Its a strange time at the moment. I'm in the "key" Rail freight sector so it's business as normal. But passenger. Who can say? Time will tell. We'll just have to wait it out and see.

Yes, I have been told the same about the Contract being honoured, which is really good of them. I actually think if I would have already handed my notice in ( I too waited till the last minute) I would have been paid by them until training commenced. However, it made more sense to carry on earning a higher level of income until such time th courses are resolved. I have to take my hat off to them, as they have given me some hope in these times and certainly gives me some optimism for the future. Which TOC are you hopefully going to be joining?
I suppose it's better for both parties. You will not be sat on a trainee wage and they don't have to pay you to sit on your backside. Just let them defer it until the world is normalised again.

That’s a very tricky one.

I don’t suppose anyone (including Northern) is in much of a position to advise at this stage as clearly the situation is developing rapidly.

That said, even in the countries with much more stringent restrictions than the U.K., it only seems to be large public gatherings which are being limited. A typical class of trainee drivers (eight max where I trained) is unlikely to be affected. That said if their training school ends up suffering widespread staff sickness/self isolation that might well cause an issue.

One approach might be having an honest conversation about the situation with your current employer (but without formally handing in your notice). If your skills are in demand, or they’re short staffed, they may be only too happy to keep you on for as long as possible if your start date ends up being delayed.

Obviously whether you can have that conversation is a judgement call only you can make, taking into account your relationship with your line manager, etc.

EDIT: if the worst comes to the worst, and Northern are unable to confirm until after the last date by which you need to hand your notice in, I’d personally err on the side of caution and avoid resigning until they do so.

But, whatever happens, if the course goes ahead as planned, make sure you join on the start date. If you miss it (even by a few days) you’ll have missed too much to continue with that group. And you might not get another chance!

It’d be better to give your current employer less notice than contractually required, than to fail to start the course, or to risk unemployment by resigning before Northern can confirm.

It might put their noses out of joint, but you’re leaving anyway, and you need to put yourself first. At the end of the day all they can practically do is withhold your pay for the unworked portion of your notice period, and by then you’ll be being paid by Northern anyway.
Id agree with that. Im in the same boat as ST and thats what im doing. Ill give my notice when the TOC can get its training school up and running again. If I cant give my full notice then so be it. No point taking a chance as nobody can offer any guarantees at the moment.

porksandwhich

I had an email from EMR on Wednesday, due to start TM training 4th May. HR are waiting for approval from exec team, but they’ve said as safety critical, it will still likely go ahead but nothing is guaranteed.

moorw003

My start date for my RO2 position was 23rd March in Southamptom. The corporate induction went ahead on this day, we signed all the forms got on payroll and then were sent to Waterloo to pick up uniform. Then the government did the nationalising thing, and then the lockdown in the afternoon and evening. The training manager said we were the last 15 people to join the company before recruitment was halted.

Tuesdays Basingstoke training was cancelled, and on Wednesday I received an email from my station manager saying that my job was safety critical, but because I'd need to shadow to be trained, I'd have to remain at home until the lockdown has finished. I then received a follow up email to say that those ask to stay at home will receive full basic contract pay for this period.

On Friday, one of the customer service trainers got in touch and 5 of us are doing twice daily zoom meetings of about 60-90 minutes each weekday to go through all the training material. I'm happy about this because I don't want to be doing nothing, I want to get started and these training Zoom's are giving something to look forward in the day as well. At this time, they have plans for these sessions (that is teachable material) until Friday 10th April.

I'm champing at the bit to get going properly in my new career, but I'm grateful to be in the door and training at this point. It should be noted if these restrictions weren't in place I'd still be in training for a good few weeks and with fewer trains I guess fewer staff are required at this moment. But I'm definitely looking forward to getting to work. Knowing that I'll receive full pay is a great cushion and relief. But it doesn't beat going to work and having a purpose.

ToonSupa123

I recently passed an OPC assessment day for a conductor role with TPE, been told next step is an interview with a line manager. But all on hold until things start to get back to normal, however long that may be...

Astro_Orbiter

I'm a qualified driver who recently sent contracts back for a job at a new company (don't actually start until Sept tho). This company however have just begun to furlough up to 80% of their drivers and other grades due to severely modified service. I've not heard anything from them, and don't expect to for some time (3 months notice is end of May for me), but am really not holding my breath the job will materialise. I'm pretty devastated about it as it was about to open a huge new door and change my life but hey ho,at least I've got a job still. Who'd have guessed 2 months ago that we'd be in this situation as a country. Awful times that will be a historical turning point for the world.

ST

Sorry to hear that for you. Hope you are ok?
Would you mind sharing the name of the company? understand if you rather not.

Established Member
@Astro_Orbiter , sorry to hear that, fingers crossed they’ll make you a renewed offer once things get back to normal.

I’d assume that must be an open access operator, freight, or Eurostar, as I don’t think any franchised TOCs are in the position of furloughing drivers. Eurostar is my best guess based on what I’ve heard...

In respect of franchised TOCs the management contracts put in place by the DfT (initially for six months) state that Ts and Cs of employees will not change. The cost/revenue risk of the current crisis is being underwritten by the DfT, so there’s no incentive for TOCs to lay off staff. In any case those staff will be needed to resume the full timetable in due course and, especially in the case of drivers, route knowledge will need to be maintained.

ST

@Astro_Orbiter , sorry to hear that, fingers crossed they’ll make you a renewed offer once things get back to normal.

I’d assume that must be an open access operator, freight, or Eurostar, as I don’t think any franchised TOCs are in the position of furloughing drivers. Eurostar is my best guess based on what I’ve heard...

In respect of franchised TOCs the management contracts put in place by the DfT (initially for six months) state that Ts and Cs of employees will not change. The cost/revenue risk of the current crisis is being underwritten by the DfT, so there’s no incentive for TOCs to lay off staff. In any case those staff will be needed to resume the full timetable in due course and, especially in the case of drivers, route knowledge will need to be maintained.

Thank you. Very helpful.

Rhia

How did the skype interview go?
It went as well as I thought it could. Very intense. But got through it. Was told I’d hear back by end of the week. But I haven’t heard back yet. I don’t know whether to be worried or not. Fingers crossed !!!

MrsP2010

I had an interview with NR at the beginning of March for a signalling position and they told me in the interview that you are told very quickly if you aren't successful, but it can take 2-3 weeks to get the successful notification!

Last edited:

I was due to start with SWR on 30th March as a trainee driver, but had a phone call 5 days before to say they were cancelling the training and would give me a new start date soon.

However they stated that they knew people were only 5 days from leaving their current employment and said they would still employ everyone from the 30th, and would pay them to stay at home.

So SWR are confident this will all be over at some point and continue, but I elected to retract my resignation and stay in the police until this all blows over as I earn more.

Hopefully they will contact me with a new start date soon.

If you had already started I would say it will be fine, but if you haven't started yet i'd hang on with your current employer if they will let you.

Crazy times.

ST

I was due to start with SWR on 30th March as a trainee driver, but had a phone call 5 days before to say they were cancelling the training and would give me a new start date soon.

However they stated that they knew people were only 5 days from leaving their current employment and said they would still employ everyone from the 30th, and would pay them to stay at home.

So SWR are confident this will all be over at some point and continue, but I elected to retract my resignation and stay in the police until this all blows over as I earn more.

If you had already started I would say it will be fine, but if you haven't started yet i'd hang on with your current employer if they will let you.

Crazy times.
The above is sensible. I am also in a position where I stayed with my current employer and will hopefully be joining a course when all this blows over. Crazy times indeed.

Stigy

Established Member
The above is sensible. I am also in a position where I stayed with my current employer and will hopefully be joining a course when all this blows over. Crazy times indeed.
I’d say it’s sensible to an extent, but if they are prepared to pay new starters to stay at home, there is at least some commitment present on SWR’s part. If you decide to retract your resignation with your employer and stay where you are, chances are you’ll have to start from square one when this is all over, which means it unlikely you’ll get another chance. For starters they have tonne recruiting to be able to apply.

It is a risk.

TPEwannabe

Crazy times.

Does that mean you are now employed by both the TOC and the Police?
The tax man would love you!!

GemGem

Crazy times.

Did you not have to give much notice then??

Terryp1984

I'm due to start on the 27th april for a trainee driver at southeastern. So far just been told it's still going ahead and if it doesnt it will be e-learning from home.
I guess I'll find out soon.
Hope this all blows over and everyone waiting gets there in the end

ST

I’d say it’s sensible to an extent, but if they are prepared to pay new starters to stay at home, there is at least some commitment present on SWR’s part. If you decide to retract your resignation with your employer and stay where you are, chances are you’ll have to start from square one when this is all over, which means it unlikely you’ll get another chance. For starters they have tonne recruiting to be able to apply.

It is a risk.

I agree it is a risk not to start without anything to confirm the role moving forwards. Not as much of a risk if anyone receives confirmation that their offer remains valid as the course was postponed and they will rejoin when courses begin in the future. A really great thing for any rail company to do to provide some positivity and hope in these crazy times!

magicmcone

I was meant to start my training as a Guard for SWR on the 11th of May and just received a call from HR to advice me not to hand my resignation yet if I haven’t done so as at the moment they are unable to guarantee that the training is going to start as scheduled. They said the offer of employment still remains in place by all means and that they will update me as soon as they can give me any further information, but of course is not the best news.
Thanks God, at least I had enough time to see things coming and had not handed my notice yet.

WombleGuard

I was meant to start my training as a Guard for SWR on the 11th of May and just received a call from HR to advice me not to hand my resignation yet if I haven’t done so as at the moment they are unable to guarantee that the training is going to start as scheduled. They said the offer of employment still remains in place by all means and that they will update me as soon as they can give me any further information, but of course is not the best news.
Thanks God, at least I had enough time to see things coming and had not handed my notice yet.

Really sorry to hear this. By all accounts the starters on 30th March and 14th April have or will start (im one of the lucky ones) but others will be held without start for now.

If it reassures you at all, every single person at SWR recruitment and HR I've come into contact with have been professional and true to their word.

The package they have put together for us that started on 30th has been great. We have been able to complete our first two days of induction from home and had a Zoom drop in session to meet the team.

I'm 100% sure they will get you started ASAP. It's a fantastically well organised HR and training team for sure.

These views are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer.

Last edited:

AMM72

Sorry to read that magicmcone they do seem to be sincere in what they say though.

That's good to know WombleGuard. As you know I'm starting on 14th and was hoping there would be some sort of program in place. I finish with my current employer on Thursday but have been on furlough.

Daveyboy2407

Hi, I've got 4 applications currently sitting at ' application under consideration for assesment 2'. Will the hiring managers still be processing these or would they be put on hold? Many thanks

Stigy

Established Member
Hi, I've got 4 applications currently sitting at ' application under consideration for assesment 2'. Will the hiring managers still be processing these or would they be put on hold? Many thanks
If it’s for SWR (or any other FirstGroup TOC), all applications will be put on hold apart from those required to sustain the operational resilience of the company....any frontline operational role is important, however I’m not sure with the current state of courses being out on hold etc, just how far any application will get before it’s naturally held (in a queue I guess as no courses are likely to be going ahead for a few weeks yet?).

Status
Not open for further replies.