• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New starter - Covid-19 impact on employment

Status
Not open for further replies.

ST

Has anyone had any updates regarding courses or offers? Has anyone actually had an offer retracted?

Good luck all!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcbeckso

I start on 20th April with WMT and have been told until stated otherwise everything is going ahead as normal

ST

I start on 20th April with WMT and have been told until stated otherwise everything is going ahead as normal
I start with NWR on the 3rd of April and I have been told unless I'm contacted before hand it is going ahead as normal.
Great news! In any of your discussions was there a mention of the offer you have accepted being withdrawn or was it a case of the course being put back and you would still be employed?

LouiseC

I’ve just received my contract for a conductor role with northern to commence 11th May, but it was written on 5th March, things have changed quite a bit since it was written, hoping training still goes ahead.

Dan_Gleeballs

I got the phone call today that I have been dreading, was starting with DB in April, practically a dream come true but they have had to cancel the training course which I totally understand,people’s health comes first. however it’s incredibly difficult to take. I wonder where this leaves me now , it didn’t sound as though DB would be doing the course for the foreseeable, and il be in the pipeline if anything comes up , however I get the sense il just be lost in the system know. Gutted.

Burt807

Hi all. I applied for a TFW trainee conductor role with a specific course start date of 4th May, and assessments next week, and despite emailing recruitment, haven't even had a response to clarify the situation as they see it. Anyone elese applied for this post and heard / not heard? Thanks

StevieH

Hi all. I applied for a TFW trainee conductor role with a specific course start date of 4th May, and assessments next week, and despite emailing recruitment, haven't even had a response to clarify the situation as they see it. Anyone elese applied for this post and heard / not heard? Thanks
I've tried to contact a different TOC HR and just the same no reply as of yet. Suppose they are all just sitting tight seeing how things go before going forward.

Last edited:

Burt807

Cheers for the update. It's an unprecedented time for everyone, i guess I'll just use the time wisely and hope it all pans out at some point. Any other TFW applicants, I'd love to know what your experience has been of late. All the best

richfoz84

I personally think, as the advice and response to all this is changing daily, the companies won’t know their approach therefore can’t offer much advise at this stage. As things will hopefully get back to normal in a few months, we may find that course dates are confirmed, vacancies are advertised etc.

The government were pumping a lot of money into the railway and its a service we will need to Rely on more and more as time goes on.. so I feel there will be more of a delay in starting our “dream job” but the day will come at some point. I’m in the talent pool for northern, but hoping for a course later this year.. we will just have to remain positive and wait I guess

Midlands_lad

Just got a call from recruitment and got a start date for signalling school in September. I asked if the date given would be a definite as training courses could be cancelled etc and can I certainly give my notice in to my current employer. I was told that NR will honour this start date even if training is cancelled or later than that date. I was told that I will receive this in writing and my employment with NR will commence on the date given to me. I am over the moon to say the least, the training school is in my local city which is another bonus. I just wanted to let people know this good news as it seems NR are honouring start dates and not withdrawing them.

StevieH

Just got a call from recruitment and got a start date for signalling school in September. I asked if the date given would be a definite as training courses could be cancelled etc and can I certainly give my notice in to my current employer. I was told that NR will honour this start date even if training is cancelled or later than that date. I was told that I will receive this in writing and my employment with NR will commence on the date given to me. I am over the moon to say the least, the training school is in my local city which is another bonus. I just wanted to let people know this good news as it seems NR are honouring start dates and not withdrawing them.
Great stuff we can only hope TOCs do the same

magicmcone

I got the phone call today that I have been dreading, was starting with DB in April, practically a dream come true but they have had to cancel the training course which I totally understand,people’s health comes first. however it’s incredibly difficult to take. I wonder where this leaves me now , it didn’t sound as though DB would be doing the course for the foreseeable, and il be in the pipeline if anything comes up , however I get the sense il just be lost in the system know. Gutted.
I think that the most likely scenario is that as soon as all this goes back to normal, the courses will restart in the order they were left. I really hope that is the case and this just means a delay in your dream career. Best of luck and stay positive.

Daydr3am3r

Just been sent home from training school today and all trainee driver courses suspended for approximately 12 weeks.

Kearney10

Cheers for the update. It's an unprecedented time for everyone, i guess I'll just use the time wisely and hope it all pans out at some point. Any other TFW applicants, I'd love to know what your experience has been of late. All the best
Was supposed to do my scatt verification on Tuesday and it was cancelled

Daydr3am3r

That's something at least then. Most TOC's and FOC's (from what I hear) have introduced one driver only in the cab now, so expect similar around the network.

Absolutely in the grand scheme of things it could be a lot worse! Unfortunately this is a far wider problem than just suspending courses.
I can’t see how any courses for a variety of job roles will go ahead at this time.

Chingy

Absolutely in the grand scheme of things it could be a lot worse! Unfortunately this is a far wider problem than just suspending courses.
I can’t see how any courses for a variety of job roles will go ahead at this time.

Agree unfortunately.

I think many trainee courses will become suspended immenintly, but hopefully, like yourself, just temporarily whilst we get over the worse of the virus, and on full pay. I don't think TOC's or FOC's will just abandon courses that have already commenced, especially after todays government announcement etc.

For those that are due to start within the next few months, things look a little more sketchy.

Taylor-j01

On the good side....

NR are still recruiting through this with jobs being added midweek. Plus today alot were added (friday) driver managers, team leaders etc....

Chubby

I dont have a start date yet as not long passed medical and checks, had a phone call the other day from manager basically saying that start dates will be delayed just due to training not going ahead at the moment.. but no jobs are getting withdrawn just a case of sitting tight

Status
Not open for further replies.