• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New starter - Covid-19 impact on employment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont have a start date yet as not long passed medical and checks, had a phone call the other day from manager basically saying that start dates will be delayed just due to training not going ahead at the moment.. but no jobs are getting withdrawn just a case of sitting tight

That's good news. So does this mean you carrying on working where you are till you get the go ahead? Could they not get you into your control room to get some shadowing experience in the mean time before the trasining starts.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Burgaface

I have my written contract to sign for a start date next month, however due to the current fluid situation regarding corona along with this position being a trainee driver job which requires up to 16 weeks put up in a hotel (if they remain open) and the thought of being cooped up in the room as there’s no where else to go outside of the hotel, it’s bad enough being at home not being able to carry on with your life.
I’m at the point of not taking the position as I believe that the training will take go on for longer than planned and remaining on the training wage for longer than expected if it at all goes ahead. Decision to be made by the end of today as I will have to hand in my notice.

I have my written contract to sign for a start date next month, however due to the current fluid situation regarding corona along with this position being a trainee driver job which requires up to 16 weeks put up in a hotel (if they remain open) and the thought of being cooped up in the room as there’s no where else to go outside of the hotel, it’s bad enough being at home not being able to carry on with your life.
I’m at the point of not taking the position as I believe that the training will take go on for longer than planned and remaining on the training wage for longer than expected if it at all goes ahead. Decision to be made by the end of today as I will have to hand in my notice.

Personally id look at the big picture. It might be a less than fluid start to a typical case but you'll get there in the end. I dont think there is a right or wrong action but what ever you decide, stick with it and the career as a driver is regarded as a critical service. This means your job is business as usual in a lot of cases.

Daydr3am3r

All front ending has been suspended along with the classroom training I believe, and all trainees who were in the classroom have been told not to come to depot and to stay at home. Looks like e-learning may well be the way forward...I guess it makes sense to have those of us who are at this stage to get qualified and become productive, with the benefits outweighing the risks?

No e-learning planned, just go home for 12 weeks....

Chubby

That's good news. So does this mean you carrying on working where you are till you get the go ahead? Could they not get you into your control room to get some shadowing experience in the mean time before the trasining starts.
I havent handed an any notice to my current employer yet so im still in this job for as long as it may take , happy to wait it out hopefully not to long though, but glad i still have the job and was really good of manager to reassure me

ST

If I were you I would speak to HR. They were really helpful. I was offered a Role to start. My notice needed to go in too, by that this stage I am hanging fire on handing my notice in to be on more money until the situation is resolved. I did sign the contract and sent it back prior to all this kicking off, but I think that is more helpful as they will more than likely defer me until courses are up running.

Good luck!

I havent handed an any notice to my current employer yet so im still in this job for as long as it may take , happy to wait it out hopefully not to long though, but glad i still have the job and was really good of manager to reassure me

Can i ask how long where you waiting for a response?

Joliver

All front ending has been suspended along with the classroom training I believe, and all trainees who were in the classroom have been told not to come to depot and to stay at home. Looks like e-learning may well be the way forward...I guess it makes sense to have those of us who are at this stage to get qualified and become productive, with the benefits outweighing the risks?
Not sure on this one in all honesty. Personally, I wouldn't want to be in a cab with anyone else at the moment. It's a tough one, it really is. Either way, good luck for the rest of your training :D

Stigy

Established Member
Not sure on this one in all honesty. Personally, I wouldn't want to be in a cab with anyone else at the moment. It's a tough one, it really is. Either way, good luck for the rest of your training :D
Thanks. I’m just selfish and would rather get this out the way :E

My DI and I joke that we’ve already have Coronavirus in its early days anyway as we were both rough before it got “real” o_O:D

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I've applied for two TOC jobs recently & been told I've got to an interview stage, but the two HR's have advised me the interviews are now on hold until further notice which is understandable.

There are still live jobs being advertised - I'm not sure whether HR's will continue to recruit for jobs but just 'rack & stack' candidates ready for assessments/interviews once things return to normal.

HR resourcing staff still have to justify their own jobs in the meantime so I think maybe they are doing plenty of the other leg work in resourcing like vetting & paper sifts while the practical stuff is on hold.

CJ

DA1

I've applied for two TOC jobs recently & been told I've got to an interview stage, but the two HR's have advised me the interviews are now on hold until further notice which is understandable.

There are still live jobs being advertised - I'm not sure whether HR's will continue to recruit for jobs but just 'rack & stack' candidates ready for assessments/interviews once things return to normal.

HR resourcing staff still have to justify their own jobs in the meantime so I think maybe they are doing plenty of the other leg work in resourcing like vetting & paper sifts while the practical stuff is on hold.

CJ

Sounds like some positive news. I’d rather wait than lose the opportunity. What TOCs?

Jayden99

I've signed a lease for a flat because I'll be relocating, meant to be stating April 20th with EMR and apparently everything is still going to plan. In light on Bojo's announcement today we'll see

AMM72

Anyone have any update re SWR? I have a start date 14 April signed contract etc just not heard anything and no one answered when I rang earlier. I appreciate they will have their own concerns at the moment.

WombleGuard

Existing trainees sent home at SWR yesterday and told not to come in today. So us waiting to start in the next couple weeks it doesn't look good. Waiting for a call.....

AMM72

Existing trainees sent home at SWR yesterday and told not to come in today. So us waiting to start in the next couple weeks it doesn't look good. Waiting for a call.....

Thanks not unexpected. Its more the not knowing around plans and contracts etc that's the concern if anyone hears anything let me know and I'll do likewise!

chris360g

Hi there, anybody got any knowledge on what’s happening with freightliner trainees at the min? I’m due to start there in may

amanda08

Three pending interviews now! Happy they are stacking up, just hope the jobs are still there when things get back to normal!

Chingy

Hi there, anybody got any knowledge on what’s happening with freightliner trainees at the min? I’m due to start there in may

Don't know for sure about future courses but current trainees have been sent home indefeintly.

Status
Not open for further replies.