• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New starter - Covid-19 impact on employment

Status
Not open for further replies.

domno5150

Hi guys,

Just had a call fom HR meant to start next week so looks like training will be done from home via e-learning

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WombleGuard

No official news from SWR yet. I imagine they are incredibly busy being the scenes working out what to do for the best.

WombleGuard

Just had a call from SWR. Course postponed Monday however start date being honoured for pay purposes. An excellent ethical thing for them to have done.

DA1

Great news. I’m awaiting a trainee driver start date for SWR so if that’s anything to go by hopefully they’ll stick to the offer instead of pulling the plug on the position. Regardless I’m aware there will be a delay by a few months.

omnicity4659

Just been invited to do a video interview at LNER... they look to be trying to maintain some form of normality!

WombleGuard

I think the saving grace for us joining the railway is how long it takes to train us.

When things get back to normal (ish) around summertime we will be needed to have at least started training I guess to get us on track for the return of mass travel.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I have feeling that once the worst of the epidemic has passed many of the TOCs will have a surge in recruitment. Many people (like myself) have applications on hold. Only yesterday, I had been advised I had not got through the paper sift for a another job I applied for in February. Therefore, HR staff are working (as they have to make a living like everyone else!) so there is a slow trickle of activity even now.

CJ

AMM72

I think the saving grace for us joining the railway is how long it takes to train us.

When things get back to normal (ish) around summertime we will be needed to have at least started training I guess to get us on track for the return of mass travel.

I had my call this morning and email confirmation this afternoon. Huge relief. Just have to be patient now.

Question : has anyone been for an interview with Network rail in the past week and heard back yet? I had an interview last Thursday and the not knowing is killing me ha.

Cheers

Question : has anyone been for an interview with Network rail in the past week and heard back yet? I had an interview last Thursday and the not knowing is killing me ha.

Cheers

I had an interview last Wednesday and I've received an email this week to say that they are scoring them and will be in touch

Gavind

Just had an email from the section manager to say due to current situation I am to stay at home until things change luckily it is paid.

Rhia

Hi guys,

Just had a call fom HR meant to start next week so looks like training will be done from home via e-learning
Hi I have my DMI Next week with Southeastern, do you have any last minute tips please to help me I’ve never been so anxious.

theironroad

Established Member
Hi I have my DMI Next week with Southeastern, do you have any last minute tips please to help me I’ve never been so anxious.

I'd be surprised if any TOCs are carrying out face to face interviews at all at the moment. Some may be set up to do video interviews but not sure.

Rhia

I'd be surprised if any TOCs are carrying out face to face interviews at all at the moment. Some may be set up to do video interviews but not sure.
Your very right it’s a Skype interview. But I’m feeling even more anxious now

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I've got a feeling many of the TOCs will not be advertising any new roles for quite a while. Northern have added some new vacancies this week - interesting that they are pushing for more cleaners (or Train Presentation Operatives given the posh title).

If there is anything positive to come out of Covid19 it will be that trains will be kept extremely clean & spotless. I'm hoping the old pacer trains used by Northern will finally see the graveyard - I used one in February and your feet and backside could literally stick to the floors/seating it was that unclean!!!

CJ

richfoz84

Your very right it’s a Skype interview. But I’m feeling even more anxious now
i'd be nervous about a Skype interview too, nothing better thank face to face (which obviously can't happen right now)

Hi there,
I am concerned and looking for some advice if possible please? I am due to start with Northern Trains in May in a Trainee Driver role...I am in secure employment which will be relatively unaffected by the Coronovirus, however, if I join as a Trainee Driver and things don't go to plan, I will be subject to an immediate notice of termination of my employment with Northern as per my T&Cs. HR at Northern have not arrived at a decision yet about whether the course is running or not, but understandably I don't want to put my notice in with work if I may then be faced with redundancy....am I over thinking this or should I be genuinely concerned about joining Northern at this stage? I will appreciate any thoughts and happy for you to PM if preferred. Thanks.
Im in exactly the same boat and was due to start in april. I agreed to carry on in my current job until some normality resumes and defer my start date. Luckily id left giving my notice until the last min. I am taking a big pay drop to train so don't want to be hanging around on the trainee wage for longer than necessary. Just going to play it by ear now. Told contracts were being honoured but hey who knows now?

Last edited:

ST

Im in exactly the same boat and was due to start in april. I agreed to carry on in my current job until some normality resumes and defer my start date. Luckily id left giving my notice until the last min. I am taking a big pay drop to train so don't want to be hanging around on the trainee wage for longer than necessary. Just going to play it by ear now. Told contracts were being honoured but hey who knows now?

Yes, I have been told the same about the Contract being honoured, which is really good of them. I actually think if I would have already handed my notice in ( I too waited till the last minute) I would have been paid by them until training commenced. However, it made more sense to carry on earning a higher level of income until such time th courses are resolved. I have to take my hat off to them, as they have given me some hope in these times and certainly gives me some optimism for the future. Which TOC are you hopefully going to be joining?

Status
Not open for further replies.