• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New station at Cranbrook (Devon) ...Now open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Martin_1981

I had to laugh a bit when at Woking earlier, with the "next fastest train" board having Cranbrook listed, a tad early me thinks going by the latest delays.

http://oi58.tinypic.com/24kw4qo.jpg

According to the National Rail Timetable, trains are due to call at Cranbrook from Saturday 8th August. If only that was the case.

I think the board at Woking should say something along the lines of 'Next fastest train to Cranbrook: This year if you're lucky'

Kite159

Veteran Member
Reading some of the Q&As from that SWT webchat last week, seems SWT expect the station to be open for the December timetable change.

Meanwhile, as the train on Saturday morning paused briefly at the station site:

At a guess the platform edging stabs (or whatever they are called) are to be fitted at some-point.

Who wants to bet that Cranbrook will open before those 2 on the Nuneaton/Coventry line? :lol:

Last edited:

Martin_1981

The latest date for Cranbrook's opening is early November. Engineering works are taking place this weekend to adjust the track to suit the new platforms, so the slabs can be laid.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I was playing with the TVM at my local station at the weekend and when seeing if Oxford Parkway had been located into it (it hadn't) I had the idea of trying Cranbrook which still isn't open...

I wonder what would happen if I purchased that ticket? :lol:

Anyhow, any more news on any opening dates?

Martin_1981

I was playing with the TVM at my local station at the weekend and when seeing if Oxford Parkway had been located into it (it hadn't) I had the idea of trying Cranbrook which still isn't open...

I wonder what would happen if I purchased that ticket? :lol:

Anyhow, any more news on any opening dates?

Latest information from Network Rail is for Cranbrook to open on Sunday 13 December, although there is a meeting between Network Rail and Balfour Beatty this Thursday, so the opening date could change again. The station itself is complete, just waiting for cables to be installed for the ticket machine and the surfacing of the entrance road to be completed.

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
It's DUE, like many trains & other things they're DUE, but are often delayed or even cancelled. ;)

Martin_1981

According to my local rag, Network Rail have formally announced the opening date of Sunday 13th December, with an opening ceremony planned for the first train to call, the 0809 to Waterloo.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co....-8217-s-long/story-28179096-detail/story.html

A DATE has finally been revealed for the opening of Cranbrook’s long-awaited train station.
The much-delayed East Devon railway station has been given its official opening date by South West Trains, after the project has hit the buffers several times over the last few years.
Services are now timetabled to begin on Sunday, December 13.
And the 8.46am to Exeter St David’s christening the westbound tracks and the 9.39am to London Waterloo christening the eastbound....

Last edited by a moderator:

Kite159

Veteran Member
According to my local rag, Network Rail have formally announced the opening date of Sunday 13th December, with an opening ceremony planned for the first train to call, the 0809 to Waterloo.
http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co....-8217-s-long/story-28179096-detail/story.html

Good news :)

That 08:09 to Waterloo must be a new addition to the Winter timetable (as currently the first SWT from Exeter to London doesn't depart until 09:25).

Although as the services are going via Westbury that day, I will probably try and attack it on the Monday evening.

Last edited:

D1009

Established Member
The article you linked quoted different times and said nothing about a ceremony. According to RTT the first train is as you state, but are they really going to get VIPs there for 0809 on a Sunday morning?

Tio Terry

Any reason why that ORR authorisation has not already been given, with a mere matters of a very few days to go that the date you have stated.

Basically because the project has been late providing the information the ORR requires, it's a simple as that. It's a relatively new process, Railway Interoperability Regulations, and Projects are on a rather vertical learning curve getting to know what is required of them. For something relatively simple like Cranbrook it revolves around meeting the Technical Standard for Interoperability for Persons with Reduced Mobility and the National Network Technical Rule for platform to train access (think it's GI/RT7016).

Martin_1981

Basically because the project has been late providing the information the ORR requires, it's a simple as that. It's a relatively new process, Railway Interoperability Regulations, and Projects are on a rather vertical learning curve getting to know what is required of them. For something relatively simple like Cranbrook it revolves around meeting the Technical Standard for Interoperability for Persons with Reduced Mobility and the National Network Technical Rule for platform to train access (think it's GI/RT7016).

Oh great, so there is still one more hurdle to jump over then, even though the local rag yesterday stated the opening is still on for this Sunday.

Tio Terry

Oh great, so there is still one more hurdle to jump over then, even though the local rag yesterday stated the opening is still on for this Sunday.

Opening is still on, ORR just waiting for the last bits of paper which will be provided tomorrow.

Martin_1981

Opening is still on, ORR just waiting for the last bits of paper which will be provided tomorrow.

Good. I'm on the first train bound for the capital on Sunday, the 9.39 to Waterloo which I'm getting to Salisbury. Looking forward to it.

AndyPJG

Station confirmed open:-

BBC News item

A £5m railway station has opened for the first time in a new eco-community in Devon.
The single platform at Cranbrook Station, funded by Devon County Council and Cranbrook New Community Partners, will serve almost 3000 residents.
Hourly services will run on the existing Exeter to London Waterloo line, providing new links to Exeter, Salisbury and Basingstoke. .....

Kite159

Veteran Member
Excellent :)

I'm sure Martin_1981 will be around at some point with some pictures of the station area itself.

HowardGWR

Established Member
I know I'm a cracked record on this but the station is not exactly integrated into the new community, is it? If eventually, housing goes up on the northern side with shops etc around the station, then it would become indeed, a hub. Until then I would be worried about my daughter getting off the last train on Saturday night from Central. Hope the gist of what I am writing is clear.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Large-ish looking car-park, with an unusual long canopy (in additional to the usual bus shelter style enclosed), although didn't help with the rain if the wind was blowing.

Coolzac

I know I'm a cracked record on this but the station is not exactly integrated into the new community, is it? If eventually, housing goes up on the northern side with shops etc around the station, then it would become indeed, a hub. Until then I would be worried about my daughter getting off the last train on Saturday night from Central. Hope the gist of what I am writing is clear.

I agree completely. There is more development planned, so hopefully it will indeed go on the Northern side, otherwise it might as well be Cranbrook Road station.

fairysdad

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
Visited the station today, will hopefully upload some photos if I can get my SD card reader to behave properly.

A few comments: the car park seems to already look like it was extended as an afterthought with two separate areas, one seemingly tagged on to the other. I agree that it is quite a distance away from its settlement, although saw a few people walking there as I left (I left about fifteen minutes before an Exeter train was due - camera battery had run out so there wasn't much point in my staying!).

Quite a large concourse area for the station, so has the space to be quite busy once Cranbrook gets larger, although as has been said, the waiting areas on the platform (which are the only waiting areas) don't look like they'll offer much protection in inclement weather. There being only one ticket machine could be problematic if the station does realise its potential for patronage.

The ticket machine is set to give new-format tickets, so I've now seen one of those in the flesh! (I don't think there's a problem with me purchasing a child ticket if I'm not intending to travel, is there?)

I also visited Newcourt station before Cranbrook, and noticed that at Newcourt the platform ends aren't ramped, as seems to be the style for new stations (which just looks odd to me, but there we go!). However, Cranbrook's are ramped. Anybody know any particular reason for this?

(On the subject of Newcourt station, two comments include the distinct lack of parking there, and the fact that the platform seems remarkably low for what is a new station. Witnessing two sets of parents get their buggies off the train drew my attention to it; again, just wondering why this is.)

The Ham

Established Member
(On the subject of Newcourt station, two comments include the distinct lack of parking there, and the fact that the platform seems remarkably low for what is a new station. Witnessing two sets of parents get their buggies off the train drew my attention to it; again, just wondering why this is.)

There's no great distance between Newcourt and the stations either side of it and pretty much having to drive very close to the stations either side of it to get to it. Basically it is there to serve the developments immediately around it.

fairysdad

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
There's no great distance between Newcourt and the stations either side of it and pretty much having to drive very close to the stations either side of it to get to it. Basically it is there to serve the developments immediately around it.
I had kind of guessed that was the case, just was a bit of a surprise, particularly as there were seven disabled spaces and no non-disabled spaces (my car, and one other was parked in an area that was 'hashed out' with yellow boxes).

SD card reader now behaving, here's some pictures of both Newcourt and Cranbrook stations: http://imgur.com/a/gFc2l

HowardGWR

Established Member
I went through there yesterday and a few got on and then back from Exeter St D, a few got off. There were cars in the car park. It is capable of being a park and ride. There is no charge for parking so I suspect it could be attractive as such. The clue is the location of Exeter Queen St (sorry Central).

Status
Not open for further replies.