• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New station at Doncaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJP

There will be a new station for Doncaster Airport. It could become quite busy as there will be flights to Florida,Mexico and Domincan Repulic. This could be becoming pretty busy as it is the second longest runway in the UK and people will travel from all over for the long haul flights. Also it will be good for spotters as you will go past the depot for a lot cheaper than going to Newark :D :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
AJP said:
Also it will be good for spotters as you will go past the depot for a lot cheaper than going to Newark :D :D
True but Retford is pretty cheap! ;)

AJP

Sorry there is more than I thought to Retford :oops: but a lot got via Sheffield which takes 1 hr 20 or 15 mins on a Gner or HT. £3.90 isnt that bad really. Might do it next time im bored. :lol:

Tomnick

Established Member
AJP said:
Sorry there is more than I thought to Retford :oops: but a lot got via Sheffield which takes 1 hr 20 or 15 mins on a Gner or HT. £3.90 isnt that bad really. Might do it next time im bored. :lol:
Going via Sheffield does defeat the object slightly though ;) .

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Talking of which, off-peak York to Worksop is the cheapest ticket to do York-Sheffield, as it is priced by GNER (ie, via Retford) rather than Virgin, but valid/accepted via Sheffield and often quicker via Sheffield due to connections being better there anyway. ;)

I'm not sure if Doncaster-Retford would be valid via Sheffield, that's a long way round. Without checking the RG, I doubt it.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
How does going to Retford or Newark make things interesting, and how would this new line let you see more than doing a trip to Retford?

Bear in mind I know hardly anything of Doncaster and the NE, having been there just twice.

*Adds Doncaster to list of places to visit again soon*

AJP

It makes it interesting as you go through all the yards at Doncaster.
The ticket is valid via Sheffield but does defeat the object. It would be the Lincoln line to the airport. :) So you will pass the yards :)

Tomnick

Established Member
I doubt it'd be a valid route normally, but since the majority of Lincoln trains start at Scunthorpe (or at least run via Doncaster), you'd be able to use that route under the 'through service' rule.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Going a bit more on-topic ( ;) ) are there any estimates of when construction of this new station will begin - who's funding it too?

AJP

Tomnick said:
I doubt it'd be a valid route normally, but since the majority of Lincoln trains start at Scunthorpe (or at least run via Doncaster), you'd be able to use that route under the 'through service' rule.

It does I checked ;)

Guinness

Established Member
Since when the Hell was Doncaster getting Flights to Non-EU Destinations?!

David

Established Member
More routes gone from Humberside. That's now 4 international airports within 2 hours of my house, With Stansted, Luton and Liverpool not much further.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
:cry: I sense Humerside airport may be dying :cry:

Stupid Robin Hood! ;)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Are they embarrassed at being based at Finningley? :? :?: I fail to see why it's called "Robin Hood". :?

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Well Finningley is just about on the Nottinghamshire border. I guess Robin Hood sounds nicer than Doncaster airport ;)

Jordy

Established Member
laverack222 said:
Crying or Very sad I sense Humerside airport may be dying Crying or Very sad

Aaaagh, don't say that!

I can see your point thought

Jordy

tramboy

There was a large argument in the Nottingham Evening Post when they chose to call it Doncaster Robin Hood Airport or whatever it is.

Really, it's because everyone knows that Robin Hood came from Nottinghamshire!

Cheers

Dave

AJP

Its real name is Docaster Sheffield Robin Hood Airport :? Everything was ok until the Sheffield Robin Hood came in. Weired weired name :?

Ben

yeah but come on most people probably just call it Donny Airport

AJP

I do but people in Sheffield call it Doncaster Sheffield (correct name) despite the fact Sheffield is 26 miles away and the other side of Donny :?

Tomnick

Established Member
Methinks there's probably quite a few who call it Finningley too ;) .

eezypeazy

Pardon my ignorance, but WHERE will Doncaster Airport Station be? Which line will it be on? Which stations will be either side of it?

eezypeazy

Tomnick

Established Member
It'll be on (or, possibly, a spur from) the former GN&GE Joint line, a few miles south-east of Doncaster - between Doncaster and (some distance away!) Gainsborough Lea Rd. stations.

steve158

don't they still point at aeroplanes in doncaster?? :) :)

i was on this line a week or two ago and thought " what a good place to have a station", and well..

services will have to improve though.

Status
Not open for further replies.