• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Station calendar

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Just how far away from the retail complex is the proposed White Rose station? I second your reservations about the possible demise of Cottingley for the reasons you stated.

In the planning for the new Manchester Metrolink stop at the intu Trafford Centre, it made sure that it was situated extremely near to one of the main entrances to the complex buildings there, for obvious reasons.
Far enough away that other members keep telling me it's as much to serve the offices between the Mall and the M621, rather than the mall itself: in which case they shouldn't be calling it White Rose Centre.

Given that Leeds city centre is a far greater retail draw than the White Elephant Centre can ever dream of being, I'd rather Leeds City Council would heed the mistakes of their neighbour to the south and not starve their city centre of investment in order to subsidise a frankly rather rubbish out-of-town mall. At least Meadowhall is a decent shopping centre unlike WRC. If a meteorite dropped on the WRC overnight I'd be popping the champagne.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

InOban

Established Member
Has there been any further information forthcoming, from either official or other sources?
There have been pics both on the ScotRail Twitter and in the local paper, showing the station platform signs and an apparently complete car park. No formal date yet.

alistairlees

Established Member
According to the ScotRail website it’s in the middle of the North Sea. Passengers will probably need umbrellas.

(images show ScotRail website with map location of Kintore station in the middle of the North Sea.)

Attachments

• 86EE7A8D-896D-4A41-9BCB-3A7E8641CB25.png
    86EE7A8D-896D-4A41-9BCB-3A7E8641CB25.png
    356.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 19D8E95D-846D-4CE9-B987-D1820C39E781.png
    19D8E95D-846D-4CE9-B987-D1820C39E781.png
    414.7 KB · Views: 57

YorksLad12

Established Member
Far enough away that other members keep telling me it's as much to serve the offices between the Mall and the M621, rather than the mall itself: in which case they shouldn't be calling it White Rose Centre.

Given that Leeds city centre is a far greater retail draw than the White Elephant Centre can ever dream of being, I'd rather Leeds City Council would heed the mistakes of their neighbour to the south and not starve their city centre of investment in order to subsidise a frankly rather rubbish out-of-town mall. At least Meadowhall is a decent shopping centre unlike WRC. If a meteorite dropped on the WRC overnight I'd be popping the champagne.

My remember-ance was that it was to be called White Rose, and that the office park was indeed the chief market. Easier to get people out of their cars for the drive to work than to the shopping centre. Wherever they build it is going to involve a long walk for some people!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
My remember-ance was that it was to be called White Rose, and that the office park was indeed the chief market. Easier to get people out of their cars for the drive to work than to the shopping centre. Wherever they build it is going to involve a long walk for some people!
Therein lies the problem: can you imagine how much of a let-down Meadowhall Interchange would have been if it had been built 300 yards further down the line towards Sheffield?
If it's a station for the office park, it should be called something like "Beeston Office Park" or similar... or even just stick with the Cottingley name, it'll save having to update all the PIS and ticket machines at least!

Calling it White Rose Centre station when it's a fair walk (and presumably in the open unlike Meadowhall) to the shopping centre will just smack of false advertising. Anecdotally, people avoid using the bus to White Rose because you have to walk through Debenhams... yet Leeds City Council think that crowds of shoppers will schlepp across an industrial estate and acres of car parks from a station, and still have Debenhams as the nearest entrance?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

I wonder if that last point that you make has ever entered the heads of those charged with the siting of this proposed railway station?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I wonder if that last point that you make has ever entered the heads of those charged with the siting of this proposed railway station?
Speaking with my cynical hat on, I think the only thing in their heads is "We've got all this trolleybus money... quick, find something to spend it on before the DfT changes their minds!"

YorksLad12

Established Member
Therein lies the problem: can you imagine how much of a let-down Meadowhall Interchange would have been if it had been built 300 yards further down the line towards Sheffield?
If it's a station for the office park, it should be called something like "Beeston Office Park" or similar... or even just stick with the Cottingley name, it'll save having to update all the PIS and ticket machines at least!

Calling it White Rose Centre station when it's a fair walk (and presumably in the open unlike Meadowhall) to the shopping centre will just smack of false advertising. Anecdotally, people avoid using the bus to White Rose because you have to walk through Debenhams... yet Leeds City Council think that crowds of shoppers will schlepp across an industrial estate and acres of car parks from a station, and still have Debenhams as the nearest entrance?

Systime. It should be called Systime (yes, I'm old enough to remember them on that site...) The bus station was supposed to be where the coach park is, but that then adds delays to services as they navigate the perimeter roads. It's a nuisance for me as I mostly go there to go to Sainsbury's at the other end, and services don't run through the site any more. But we're drifting off topic...

Wikipedia puts it right behind the office park. I could see it being used, once people start going back into offices... around the time the station would be built, ironically.

Speaking with my cynical hat on, I think the only thing in their heads is "We've got all this trolleybus money... quick, find something to spend it on before the DfT changes their minds!"

Agreed, but it's not the worst thing they could have spent the money on. The money was time-limited, so relatively quick wins ("Connecting Leeds") and feasibility studies into stations and suchlike.

och aye

Hopefully the correct forum/thread.

Nice video of the envisaged infrastructure at the planned re-opened Reston station.

Excellent news. I see there's an online consultation session on Monday, you can sign up to.

Hopefully a similar page for East Linton appears soon.

I wonder if scotlandsrailway.com is going to be the main central website that the ScotRail Alliance/Transport Scotland will be using for news, consultation, development updates etc.

andreading

Reading Green Park is now out of the ground with completion in the summer of 2021 being given out by the Thames Valley Berkshire Local Enterprise Partnership.

Attachments

• SAM_1689.JPG
    SAM_1689.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 65
  • SAM_1686.JPG
    SAM_1686.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 65

Phillipimo

Last edited by a moderator:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Reading Green Park is now out of the ground with completion in the summer of 2021 being given out by the Thames Valley Berkshire Local Enterprise Partnership.

The second posting on the thread has now been amended to a 2021 opening.

***********************************************************************************************************************************
As a result of some confusion over a replacement for the original website member who set up this thread, I have been given temporary permissions to update the first posting on this thread, which I have now done. Unfortunately, because medical matters at home affecting my good lady wife, now almost 79 years of age, this can only be an extremely temporary matter until the end of October 2020 when someone else will be required to take over the running of this thread.

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Mod note - Unfortunately due to a lack of available resource, this thread is not currently updated. Anyone interested in managing this list please get in touch with forum staff and we will consider reallocating responsibility on receipt. Thank you.

kevin_roche

There was a short item on the BBC Local TV news tonight saying it will be complete in Summer 2021. It said the station should have been open this month but was delayed due to Covid-19. First passengers are due in 12 months time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000pnl1/south-today-evening-news-18112020 At about 9:27

Apparently needs a while to be commissioned.

Logan Carroll

I read in Modern Railways Ilustrated about a possible station at Faslane.

Does anyone have any information about this?

Voyager lad

I read in Modern Railways Ilustrated about a possible station at Faslane.

Does anyone have any information about this?
I personally can’t see it happening, as it’s within walking distance of the existing Garelochhead. There is also a regular bus connection from Faslane and the surrounding villages into both Helensburgh and Garelochhead so it would seem unnecessary to build a new station.

InOban

Established Member
Do you realise how many people work at Faslane and are bused in from Glasgow every day ? Certainly over 1000.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I personally can’t see it happening, as it’s within walking distance of the existing Garelochhead. There is also a regular bus connection from Faslane and the surrounding villages into both Helensburgh and Garelochhead so it would seem unnecessary to build a new station.

Do you realise how many people work at Faslane and are bused in from Glasgow every day ? Certainly over 1000.

Looking at a map (but not really knowing the area), does strike me as a case where a better sited station will capture more demand; seems odd to have a railway passing so close but such reliance on buses.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Looking at a map (but not really knowing the area), does strike me as a case where a better sited station will capture more demand; seems odd to have a railway passing so close but such reliance on buses.

Not having much knowledge of the area in question, do the people who use the said buses get on at a series of different bus stops which would not help in such a situation?