• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Station Campaign Started

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyHudds

This was published in my local rag today, a new station campaign for the Milnsbridge area of Huddersfield on the line to Manchester for the Victoria stoppers to call at. Personally I think its a good idea and is long overdue as the line passes through a large area of population that doesn't have a station until Slaithwaite. Anyway we'll see, the length of time it takes to open new stations I can't see it being open before 2020 given the farcical situation over the opening of Low Moor in Bradford.

http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/loca...on-for-golcar-and-milnsbridge-86081-31236173/
CAMPAIGNERS will be lobbying for a new railway station in Huddersfield.

A new transport group will be formed on Monday to push for a station to serve Golcar and Milnsbridge.

Clr Paul Salveson, a former senior manager at Northern Rail, has organised the meeting.

“There used to be two stations in the area way back, one for Golcar on Station Road and another one for Milnsbridge near Market Street,” he said.

“The suggestion is that we could have a new station near the Old Railway Goods Yard off Scar Lane, Milnsbridge, which would serve Golcar and Milnsbridge.”

Clr Salveson added that it was crucial for campaigners to put forward their proposal before consultation on Metro’s RailPlan 7 ends on July 2.

“It’s important that the aspiration for a station is recognised in the rail plan,” said the Golcar Labour man.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Was it not in the forward plans to reduce the number of stops on some of the services on the Manchester to Huddersfield line ?

Perhaps someone with more detailed knowledge of the documentation can give a clearer picture.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Longwood and Milnsbridge station was one of those affected by the "sixties" closure programme and was closed in 1968.

Last edited:

Sapphire Blue

Never going to happen old chum.
Apart from what Paul has said about the skip-stop proposals after the fifth service is brought in.

Longwood and Milnsbridge was poorly used even when the mills were in full swing.
It was my local station growing up and I used it every school day for a few years before it closed and I was often a lone passenger. My family and I travelled back and forth to Huddersfield on the last day in '68 before closing: if the train had been as well used as it was on that day it may have stood a chance.
Given a massive Euro millions win I might refund it opening as a nostalgic folly.
(BTW has anyone got a photo of this station - I have never seen one - we only used cameras for Christmas and holidays back then)
Golcar station was too far away, down a very steep hill, from the centre of Golcar to stay open/be re-opened too.
The old goods yard, off Scar Lane is twixt the two and has no obvious benefit whatsoever. The centres of both Golcar and Milnsbridge are quite a way away and well served by buses, all day every day.
Sorry.

AndyHudds

No need to apologise Sapphire, was just something to discuss, if the station is situated in the correct place ie in Milnsbridge rather than further up the line in no mans land. I don't see why it couldn't work and be a good idea. Would the new station not be on a par with Deighton, similar location, a couple of minutes from Huddersfield and an area well served by buses? Deighton station seems to do ok for passengers. By the way do you contribute on DATM?

Sapphire Blue

I would love it to happen! Right on top of the viaduct would look superb, if I won those Euro millions!!
But I fear it was just a local politician posturing to his electorate.
How well used is Deighton though. I would imagine there would be little chance of it re-opening today with the large scale industries nearby being scaled back over the years. Always looks poorly used to me.
(And, yes, I am SB on DATM too)

Status
Not open for further replies.