• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New station for Whitehaven

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lemmy99uk

The initial public consultation document for the new nuclear facility near Sellafield has been published by NUGEN

http://www.nugenconsultation.com/media/1104/the-consulation-document.pdf

Interestingly, it states that rail will be the prime mover for people and passengers and that a new station will be built on the site of the former Mirehouse Junction.

looking at the number of people thay need to move each day it looks like the loco services will end up load 12!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D6975

Established Member
I notice that as well as mentioning use of existing services, it mentions the possibility of charter services too. I assume this to mean running extra services between Whitehaven and the Sellafield area just for their workers.

aylesbury

At least its going to bring more work for the region and will boost the economy ,I wonder if Whitehaven docks will see increased use .Agree about the loco hauled trains expanding the line will need the signalling upgraded as its pretty basic now.

Lemmy99uk

I think the idea is that the new station will become a huge park & ride used for the nuclear workers only, with restricted access and the ability to conduct all the security checks before getting on site. If they use charter services then some of those checks can be done on board during the journey.

One of the questions they ask is whether the station should remain as a legacy after construction of the plant is finished.

IslandDweller

In addition to the new station at Mirehouse, the consultation also refers to new rail access into the new power station site (north of the existing Sellafield site). The initial suggestion is that they'll use the alignment of the (now closed) line from Sellafield to Egremont.
The document also refers to infrastructure improvements on the Cumbria coast line, without specifying what they would be. I wonder if they're contemplating some double tracking. Between Corkickle and St Bees that would be (relatively) easy (runs through a wide open valley), but much of the route from St Bees to Braystones is cut into low coastal cliffs - not easy to make double.
The section on road and cyclepath diversions/closures is a bit thin, but could be interpreted as closing the existing (sole) public road to Sellafield station.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.