New stations on existing heritage railway lines that could be built and reopened.

Discussion in 'Railtours & Preservation' started by user1234, 9 Feb 2019.

1. user1234

user1234 Member

What are the next new stations to open on our heritage railways? Are there any that are currently planned?

Note i am only talking about new stations on existing heritage railway lines. I am not talking about new stations that involve extensions of the railway. There is another thread where extensions are being discussed. So this is only for existing sections lines where trains are already operating.

Here are some that i am thinking could be reopened:

• Eardington (Severn Valley Railway) - This station already exists. The platform is in good condition and pretty much everything is there. I have no idea why they have kept a station in such good condition but no trains even stop there.

• Hazelwood (Ecclesbourne Valley Railway) - This is the only unopened station on the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway. I am pretty sure that they do actually have plans to reopen this station. Although i haven't heard much recently so i am not too sure how soon that this will happen.

• Pen Y Mount Junction (Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland Railway) - This would provide an interchange between the main Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland Railway and the short Welsh Highland Heritage Railway line. The station already exists on the WHHR so they would just need to build platforms on the FWHR line.

• West Hoathly (Bluebell Railway) - This is the only unopened station on the Bluebell Railway line. It serves the villages of Sharpthorne and West Hoathly and is just north of the tunnel.

Can anyone think of any other stations on heritage railways that could be reopened?

Also is anyone aware of any stations on heritage railways that are currently being restored or that they have plans to reopen?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. HaggisBotherer

HaggisBotherer Member

Before starting another WIBN (© Paul Hitchcock) or WIBBLE (©43096) list, it would be as well to do some proper background research.

For example it's well-documented that reopening the Bluebell to Kingscote was conditional on West Hoathly NOT reopening.

4. Train Maniac

Train Maniac Member

I seem to remember that they didnt reopen West Hoathley because of some NIMBY's in the village. Thing is, its one of the more potentially convenient stations on the route, being situated below the village (on exit of tunnel) rather than at the end of a 2 mile lane (Horsted Keynes) Or nowhere in particular (Sheffield Park and Kingscote)

5. trainmania100

trainmania100 Established Member

Can get some nice shots from the foot crossing at hoathley, would rather keep it that way than have a new platform and shelter :LOL:

6. bramling

bramling Established Member

Lack of parking could be an issue at Eardington. Apart from the road there’s *nothing* else there in the immediate vicinity. I’m now sure what value it would add to the railway apart from historical completeness. It might make things easier on gala days when loads of people try to cross from one platform to another at Bridgnorth from an incoming train to a departing one I suppose!

7. Belperpete

Belperpete Member

Seem to recall something similar with Nantmor on the Welsh Highland. Fortunately the NIMBYs moved away, and the planning condition was removed. The halt is quite popular with walkers.
    The WH were considering a halt at Betws Garmon, where there is a large campsite and there was a station originally, but the campsite owner was extremely anti-railway and opposed it.

8. reddragon

reddragon Member

I have used Eardington Station when the railway ran just from Bridgenorth to Hampton Loade and used the Eardington Station car park (which is still there).

It closed simply because: -
    - the steep gradient made standing starts with longer trains challenging
    - its nowhere
    - its on the longest section of line without a loop so to use it reduces train frequencies

9. AnthonyRail

AnthonyRail Member

What’s the one on the GWSR. I can’t remember go thru with the station house still there

10. reddragon

reddragon Member

Gotherington

11. user1234

user1234 Member

Gotherington is still open. Trains do stop there and you can board and alight.

12. duffield

duffield Member

Bishop's Cleeve?
    I think all things being equal the GWSR would want a station there but I seem to remember vandalism was mentioned as a reason not to (this is a vague memory, may be wrong).

13. davetheguard

davetheguard Member

Interesting to hear about the campsite owner. So now he's got the railway anyway, but his business -and his customers- don't benefit from having a station on the line. Who says turkeys don't vote for Christmas?

14. bramling

bramling Established Member

The various books on the WHR’s resurrection go into quite a bit of detail about the trouble they had from this particular camp site, who was adamantly opposed to the railway returning.

Personally the mind boggles as to why anyone would object to a heritage railway running a couple of trips per day, but there we go!