• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Steam Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deepgreen

Established Member
+1 respect to Deepgreen

Why not admire? I can recognise by sight most types of Pandrol clip (including left handed ones); it's my job (well, it was); is this rather niche skill not to be admired also? :oops:

Thanks for the "+1 respect", but I don't see what I have done to earn it!

najaB

Veteran Member
+1 respect to Deepgreen

Why not admire? I can recognise by sight most types of Pandrol clip (including left handed ones); it's my job (well, it was); is this rather niche skill not to be admired also? :oops:
Oh, I'm just having a bit of fun (hence the wicked smile emoticon). We all have our weirdness - I'm sure bus spotters look at train spotters and shake their heads.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Oh, I'm just having a bit of fun (hence the wicked smile emoticon). We all have our weirdness - I'm sure bus spotters look at train spotters and shake their heads.

I look at them both and then cross to the other side of the street. :cake:

Deepgreen

Established Member
I'm allergic to enthusiasts <:D

Don't make the mistake of conflating "spotters" with "enthusiasts". A "spotter" (in my mind at least) implies a collector of numbers, while an "enthusiast" probably displays a much more wide-ranging interest, including photography, volunteering work, writing and simple general support for the mode (i.e. true enthusiasm).

Trog

Established Member
+1 respect to Deepgreen

At last somebody else who will know the difference between a Pandrol 401 and a 401a, and what baseplates need the smaller sized clips. How I have longed for an intelligent discussion with a fellow rail clip aficionado.

DaleCooper

Established Member
At last somebody else who will know the difference between a Pandrol 401 and a 401a, and what baseplates need the smaller sized clips. How I have longed for an intelligent discussion with a fellow rail clip aficionado.

I don't know much about clips but I always check to see if the railpads are the cheap, thin, grooved type or the far superior studded design (giving up to 70% impact load reduction) which I used to make.

Last edited:

ComUtoR

Established Member
For the nerdgasm. Are all the squiggly thingys that attach the rail to the sleepers called Pandrol Clips or just the curly whurly style ones ?

I know that you have to have specific clips for concrete sleepers vs's old wooden sleepers but I didn't think they were all Pandrols.

In one of the yards I go through you can see about 4 different types of fastener all along the same rail. The weirdness inside me does wonder what each variant is called. I have my serious at on and my anorak is waiting to be worn so ...

Cheers in advance.

Glenmutchkin

Can somebody explain the difference between Pandrol clips that are coloured Mauve and those coloured Indian Red?

DarloRich

Veteran Member

I like the blue ones! ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Can somebody explain the difference between Pandrol clips that are coloured Mauve and those coloured Indian Red?

seek and ye shall receive: http://www.unipartrail.com/WebPDF/StockPDF/Pandrol Products.pdf

( NOTE: an old catalogue)

Monty

Established Member
Is it possibly the boiler for the P2 project? I understand the boiler is to be very similar to that of A1s.

In reality the boilers were different, but for the new build P2 project they will use the same design of boiler from the A1. That said they haven't even ordered it yet let so it's highly unlikely it's for the P2. It could be Flying Scotsmans 'A4' boiler that Jeremy Hosking aquire as a spare for Bittern. But that's if it's an LNER Pacific boiler at all.

alexl92

Established Member
In reality the boilers were different, but for the new build P2 project they will use the same design of boiler from the A1. That said they haven't even ordered it yet let so it's highly unlikely it's for the P2. It could be Flying Scotsmans 'A4' boiler that Jeremy Hosking aquire as a spare for Bittern. But that's if it's an LNER Pacific boiler at all.

The plan is to make the boilers interchangeable, which I think is quite genius really.

I think Monty has it right - will it not be an A4 boiler? Is bittern under overhual?

Bittern's in line for an overhaul - but 60007 is also in bits at York and the boiler isn't with it (or at least it's not in the workshop on view anyway) - I can't remember where the boiler's being overhauled but it's not beyond possibility.

Chris125

Established Member
Last edited:

Chris125

Established Member
To replace it with "one they prepared earlier"?

Nope, there's only one A1 and one A2 boiler currently in existence belonging to their respective engines.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.