• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New-style Southeastern RTVs

Status
Not open for further replies.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
My other half received a Delay Repay Rail Travel Voucher (RTV) today from Southeastern. It looks like they've made some changes:
  • They are now blue, not green
  • The name of the issuee is now printed on the front. This means that it will be much easier for them to enforce the prohibitation on transferring the RTV, as referenced in the bottom right hand corner.
  • There is now a new field called Cashable Expiry, which is presumably the last day which you can exchange the voucher for cash. Unlike the main expiry date for buying tickets, this is only a month from when the voucher was supposedly issued (and only 22 days from when it was received here). This won't be that helpful to those that don't visit Southeastern ticket offices that often

Have these changes been made to make it harder to convert vouchers into cash refunds? I hope that other TOCs don't make similar changes - I deal with all the rail ticket purchasing in our household but I won't be able to now as it's not my name on the RTV given that I wasn't the one travelling.

Attachments

• setrtv2b.JPG
    setrtv2b.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
Given Southeastern did not previously allow cashing in of RTVs this is an improvement on the situation.

gray1404

Established Member
I am hoping that Southern will not do the same only allowing one month to cash in vouchers. (or London Midland for that matter)

Skimble19

Established Member
I am hoping that Southern will not do the same only allowing one month to cash in vouchers. (or London Midland for that matter)

That's the case on Great Northern so I would assume it's the same on Southern.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Given Southeastern did not previously allow cashing in of RTVs this is an improvement on the situation.

Only if they're offering cash instead of a voucher in the first place where required.

Are they?

Furthermore, as regards the name, isn't it on the part of the voucher you are supposed to separate before using it?

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
Furthermore, as regards the name, isn't it on the part of the voucher you are supposed to separate before using it?
Looking at the photo, the name is both on the voucher and on the counterfoil. In the Notes field it says "Issued to..."

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
When claiming delay from Southeastern, be sure to make it clear that you require compensation in cash, not rail travel vouchers!

island

Veteran Member
When claiming delay from Southeastern, be sure to make it clear that you require compensation in cash, not rail travel vouchers!

They issue cashable RTVs for all delay-repay claims now.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
They issue cashable RTVs for all delay-repay claims now.

Do you mean to imply that they do not issue cash? Because that was not clear at all if you did, and doesn't seem relevant if you didn't. Except perhaps you meant that everyone gets a month to cash a voucher if they want it or not?

JaJaWa

Established Member
Looks like these might be a proper update of the green ones so other TOCs might now use these rather than the green ones or their own homemade versions?

island

Veteran Member
Do you mean to imply that they do not issue cash? Because that was not clear at all if you did, and doesn't seem relevant if you didn't. Except perhaps you meant that everyone gets a month to cash a voucher if they want it or not?

I mean they issue compensation in cash, which can be claimed on production of the voucher and photo ID at a Southeastern station, it being unsafe and impractical to send cash in the post. For convenience, the voucher can also be used as an RTV in the traditional manner.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I mean they issue compensation in cash, which can be claimed on production of the voucher and photo ID at a Southeastern station, it being unsafe and impractical to send cash in the post. For convenience, the voucher can also be used as an RTV in the traditional manner.

I see, so this is to the detriment of everyone who wants cash compensation in line with NRCoC and doesn't have easy access to a Southeastern ticket office.

Other TOCs use cheques.

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
I see, so this is to the detriment of everyone who wants cash compensation in line with NRCoC and doesn't have easy access to a Southeastern ticket office.

Other TOCs use cheques.

Which part of the NRCoC would that be?

Note that Southeastern issues cheques for any amount for the refund of a ticket where the passenger chose not to travel.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Which part of the NRCoC would that be?

Condition 42(d)?

Compensation will be paid in rail travel vouchers or, at your request, in money. This will be by means of a refund to the debit or credit card used to pay for your ticket or, at the Train Company’s discretion, in notes and coins, a cheque or a bank transfer payment (usually referred to as a BACS payment).

bb21

Emeritus Moderator

Other TOCs use cheques.

Cash refunds are discretionary in line with the NRCoC. Nothing detrimental in what SET did.

Refund to the original payment card should be done if asked. RTVs are not acceptable.

island

Veteran Member
Cash refunds are available at Southeastern's discretion, and it has chosen to use its discretion to make those available by presentation of evidence of entitlement to the refund (in the form of the blue voucher) at one of its booking offices. The customer at the next window to me at Charing Cross ten minutes ago was doing precisely this. Southeastern is adhering to the letter of the rules, if not perhaps the spirit.

The moment an actual identified person is actually genuinely affected by the requirement to present the docket at a Southeastern booking office and Southeastern refuses a reasonable request to pay by cheque or bank transfer, I'll readily agree that this is more than a case of what is a sadly increasing phenomenon on the internet of people taking offence on behalf of others who are not so offended and potentially not even existent.

gray1404

Established Member
Cash refunds are discretionary in line with the NRCoC. Nothing detrimental in what SET did.

Refund to the original payment card should be done if asked. RTVs are not acceptable.

I'm in a bit of a situation now waiting for a Southern RTV. I live in Liverpool so am no where near a SN booking office. I am unsure if SN also have a one month time limit to cash an RTV in or not.

The problem is that many TOCs would still prefer to issue RTVs as the money then stays within the industry. In the above claim form with SN there was no option to request payment by cash, cheque, bank transfer or card payment. Not good.

I did pay for the effected tickets on RSH using club card vouchers. As such the ticket had W after the price. I wonder if this would make SN refuse any such request for cash.

najaB

Veteran Member
I did pay for the effected tickets on RSH using club card vouchers. As such the ticket had W after the price. I wonder if this would make SN refuse any such request for cash.
Is it a refund or a compensation payment?

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I'm in a bit of a situation now waiting for a Southern RTV. I live in Liverpool so am no where near a SN booking office. I am unsure if SN also have a one month time limit to cash an RTV in or not.

I received an RTV from Southern yersterday and it was the original green style.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
It is just SouthEastern I am aware of that have started printing names on these vouchers.

In reality, from reports on this forum, no TOC has yet declined to issue a cheque instead should a passenger be unable to use a ticket office to cash their RTVs. I am sure should this happen, it would be reported quite swiftly on this forum.

My advice is that anyone who is unable to use a designated ticket office should get in touch with the TOC.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Cash refunds are available at Southeastern's discretion, and it has chosen to use its discretion to make those available by presentation of evidence of entitlement to the refund (in the form of the blue voucher) at one of its booking offices. The customer at the next window to me at Charing Cross ten minutes ago was doing precisely this. Southeastern is adhering to the letter of the rules, if not perhaps the spirit.

The moment an actual identified person is actually genuinely affected by the requirement to present the docket at a Southeastern booking office and Southeastern refuses a reasonable request to pay by cheque or bank transfer, I'll readily agree that this is more than a case of what is a sadly increasing phenomenon on the internet of people taking offence on behalf of others who are not so offended and potentially not even existent.

Condition 42 doesn't sound to include this in its list of discretionary options.

NRCoC said:
(d) Compensation will be paid in rail travel vouchers or, at your request, in money.
This will be by means of a refund to the debit or credit card used to pay for your ticket or, at the Train Company’s discretion, in notes and coins, a cheque or a bank transfer payment (usually referred to as a BACS payment).

I don't see a time limited exchangeable voucher in the list of discretionary options for a TOC there.

I note we're not allowed to just add options to the list of accepted payments to a TOC. Perhaps I should try offering stamps, but agree to exchange them for actual money if SouthEastern visit my house?

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
I don't see a time limited exchangeable voucher in the list of discretionary options for a TOC there.
Cash payment (in notes and coins) is available, so they have met the terms of the condition. There's nothing in the NRCoC that says that cash has to be payable through the post or at another TOC's ticket office.

Letter of the law, and all that.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Cash payment (in notes and coins) is available, so they have met the terms of the condition. There's nothing in the NRCoC that says that cash has to be payable through the post or at another TOC's ticket office.

Letter of the law, and all that.

But if you have to make an additional journey, certainly against the spirit. Poor show from Southeastern there.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The voucher has now been redeemed for cash. For those who are interested, the clerk did insist on seeing ID that matched the name on the RTV

Status
Not open for further replies.