• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New style ticket booking

Status
Not open for further replies.

higthomas

So I often just want a simple off peak return from A-B (possibly 5+ times if splitting).

If one goes to a ticket machine at A it will sell it simply. On the other hand online I have to enter a train for each leg, make sure I spent ify off peak times, make sure it's offering my specific ticket, make sure it doesn't book me seats etc. This is a hassle, when I know what I want (having probably looked it up on brfares).

Is there a reason (other than no one's done it) no one made a website with an interface like brfares, except with a bit ticket option? Also if anyone out there fancies making one I'd definitely use it!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
So I often just want a simple off peak return from A-B (possibly 5+ times if splitting).

If one goes to a ticket machine at A it will sell it simply. On the other hand online I have to enter a train for each leg, make sure I spent ify off peak times, make sure it's offering my specific ticket, make sure it doesn't book me seats etc. This is a hassle, when I know what I want (having probably looked it up on brfares).

Is there a reason (other than no one's done it) no one made a website with an interface like brfares, except with a bit ticket option? Also if anyone out there fancies making one I'd definitely use it!
Have you tried MixingDeck, e.g. TPE's old site? It gives you fares and times separately. You still have to enter a date and nominal time, but it will display all trains around the time you are searching, and it will give you a list of all the available fares, of which you can select any, provided it has come up with at least one matching valid itinerary. Notably, you don't have to select a specific itinerary to buy the ticket.

It's not quite as flexible as a TVM or booking office but it's probably the best solution I've seen, if you know exactly what ticket you want and don't need an itinerary or a reservation.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I would switch to mobile tickets for some journeys if there was an interface like a Scheidt & Bachmann TVM for purchasing those. I presently primarily don't use them because they are such a faff compared with purchasing by contactless from a TVM, a process which takes me approximately 15 seconds, about 10 of which are waiting for the card authorisation and the tickets printing.

The UI used on the newer portable machines used by staff, a picture of a ticket on which you fill in the relevant bits to get to a fare, would work quite well.

Could a third party offer this, or is it mandatory to sell via a planner to get accredited? That said, it'd have to be at no fee, as why would I pay a fee if the TVM won't charge me one?

APT618S

I use the Southern website to purchase tickets.
Once you have saved a ticket in your favourites e.g an off peak return A to B you simply select this then the date required from the calendar and then pay. No need to select trains. You can have multiple tickets in your favourites and purchase multiple tickets with a single payment and a single ToD collection reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.