• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New SWT Ticket Machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustmite

Howdy all,

I've been intrigued since the agreement that SWT had with the DfT to introduce new machines to the network.

At Ash Vale a new concrete plinth was built next to the existing TVM... This morning, a lorry was outside with the attached.

Seems to be a new looking TVM, any idea which firm's making this? Is it just an evolution of the existing units?

Dusty

Attachments

• New_swt_tktm.jpg
    New_swt_tktm.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 237
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hassocks5489

Howdy all,

I've been intrigued since the agreement that SWT had with the DfT to introduce new machines to the network.

At Ash Vale a new concrete plinth was built next to the existing TVM... This morning, a lorry was outside with the attached.

Seems to be a new looking TVM, any idea which firm's making this? Is it just an evolution of the existing units?

Dusty

Interesting. The casing looks like the Parkeon machines used on the Northern Rail network - compare this example I photographed at Marple last year. SWT already has a handful of ToD-only Parkeons, but they are in a curved red case.

Attachments

• DSCN6560.jpg
    DSCN6560.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 154

fgwrich

Established Member
Interesting. The casing looks like the Parkeon machines used on the Northern Rail network - compare this example I photographed at Marple last year. SWT already has a handful of ToD-only Parkeons, but they are in a curved red case.

It does look at little like that. Or an updated version of the ATOS machines.

450.emu

It does look at little like that. Or an updated version of the ATOS machines.
Unlikely to be an ATOS Tribute / S&B machine (I think London Midland & C2C still use them), after DaisyPhoenix Group didn't maintain what was left of the Tribute kit after they sold off the Calyx (ServiceTec) business and let go of the engineers that used to maintain it. TSGN have Tribute in the stations, and S&B machines on the platforms. Abellio (Greater Anglia & Northern - soon to be Arriva Trains Northern?) went for the Fujitsu Star retail system at the beginning of last year.

More than likely it's Fujitsu kit (for passengers use) in that cabinet. SWT have been with Fujitsu for years, but I think they still have Avantix kit in driver signing-on places such as Richmond & Waterloo ;)

TEW

Established Member
The trial video-link TVM installed at Woking was a Parkeon machine.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's a Parkeon machine. I did hear from an informed source last year that SWT are moving onto Parkeon and away from S&B.

embers25

Established Member
The trial video-link TVM installed at Woking was a Parkeon machine.

The one at Woking is great as most people don't realise it's a normal machine and so queue up waiting for the normal ones meaning that one normally has no queue and it issues tickets much quicker. Given the screens on the other machines have many non-responsive parts (meaning you often can't type in reference numbers in) now I wish they all changed.

Paul180

It looks like there can not take cash the reason I ask is there not some discrepancy that if the TVM can not take cash you can not be PF ect. I have never seen anyone using the one at woking.

TEW

Established Member
I'm not sure if the Parkeon one takes cash at Woking or not, but some of the standard S&B TVMs on the upside do accept cash. The ticket office is also open on the upside Monday-Saturday mornings.

hassaanhc

Established Member
The one at Hounslow was in service yesterday, so I used it to collect a ToD booking.

I was very impressed. Screen quality was excellent and print speed was fast. But the main thing was how good the print quality of the ticket was. Large text and font was easy to read.

Image (9)_Edited.jpg

Some slightly different looking machines, but with what looks like the same software, have appeared at Waterloo and Richmond. They look like the old collection-only ones at Waterloo. I have not yet had the chance to use them.

The problem with these is that they are card only so are very useless for many people. It would have been much more useful if they made these machines to accept cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.