• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[NEW] Tees Metro

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMGitsDAVE

From BBC News

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-18191156

Railway station for Middlesbrough's James Cook University Hospital

A railway station is to be built at a Middlesbrough hospital as part of a regional £7.2m investment project.

The £2.1m station at James Cook University Hospital will be situated between Middlesbrough and Marton stations.

The remaining £5.1m will be spent on improving facilities at a further 11 stations in the area.

It is part of the Tees Valley Metro project which aims to boost the local economy by improving workers' mobility.

The 11 existing stations where upgrade works will be carried out are: Allens West, Billingham, Gypsy Lane, Longbeck, Marske, Marton, Nunthorpe, Redcar Central, Redcar East, South Bank and Stockton.

Improvements will include new electronic passenger information signs, seating and lighting and the installation of CCTV systems.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well that caused me to fall out of my chair. Investment in the stations on the Darlo - Saltburn line? Must be a sign of the apocalypse surely?

Anyway, this is good new. The contrast between the TPE stations (Middlesbrough, Thornaby and Yarm) in that area with the Northern stations is really quite dramatic and doing something to bring them to a roughly similar standard has to be applauded. Two things though, I note that there is no mention of timescales and also it's interesting that Saltburn is seemingly not one of the 11 stations getting an upgrade.

Stats

Two things though, I note that there is no mention of timescales and also it's interesting that Saltburn is seemingly not one of the 11 stations getting an upgrade.
Included in the press release:

http://www.teesvalleyunlimited.gov.uk/news-repository/lstf.aspx

Tees Valley has secured £4.5 million through the Department of Transport's Local Sustainable Transport Fund.

The funding will enable the delivery of a package of measures to improve facilities and communications across the Tees Valley rail network and builds upon the investment to realise the Tees Valley Metro Phase 1

Work will include a new station at James Cook University Hospital in Middlesbrough - it is anticipated this will be completed by 2014

Additionally, there will be improvements to passenger facilities at 11 existing stations -

Allens West, Billingham, Gypsy Lane, Longbeck, Marske, Marton, Nunthorpe, Redcar Central, Redcar East, South Bank and Stockton

Improvements will include signage upgrades, shelters, improved lighting and seating, CCTV installation and electronic timetable displays.

Tees Valley Unlimited managing director, Stephen Catchpole said;

"This is excellent news for Tees Valley - £4.5 million funding from the Local Sustainable Transport Fund helps facilitate the major and long standing aspiration of a railway station at James Cook University Hospital and also enables considerable development across 11 Tees Valley stations already in use - all essential in this first phase of the Tees Valley Metro Scheme.

"The programme of work complements ongoing and recent developments such as those at Hartlepool, Saltburn and Eaglescliffe stations and levers in significant private sector funding and support from Network Rail and Northern Rail and positive engagement with the South Tees NHS Foundation Trust.

"It will help us realise one of our priority transport ambitions to improve passenger facilities, enhance our existing rail network and support the economic regeneration of the area by increasing the mobility of workers and the accessibility of key sites.

"As part of the Transport and Infrastructure Group incorporating all five Tees Valley local authorities, we look forward to bringing the plans to fruition."

For the bid application: http://www.teesvalleyunlimited.gov.uk/media/92067/lstf_tees_valley_rail_access.pdf

Established Member
£2.1m doesn't sound much for a station, plus I wonder when it will actually open? 2014 isn't far off. Still, good to see some investment.

Does this mean billingham will get moved back to the original station site. I do hope so because it's talked about for years.

Ivo

Established Member
£2.1m doesn't sound much for a station, plus I wonder when it will actually open? 2014 isn't far off. Still, good to see some investment.

It's not as though it needs to be a Southend Airport -esque complex (complete with 12-car platforms, substantial parking space, overly-elaborate bridge and more) though is it? If anything I would suggest £2.1M is quite kind for such a project oop north!

Realistically, what would it need? 140m platform length at most (assuming 6-car 156, which I doubt ever happens), a couple of benches, a couple of shelters, some lighting, a few name boards, a Help Point, disabled access, an information board and maybe a portakabin...

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Does this mean billingham will get moved back to the original station site. I do hope so because it's talked about for years.

No. According to the bid application Billingham will be getting: Poster cases, Passenger information (electronic screens I assume), CCTV installation, Waiting shelter upgrades, Station signage upgrades, DDA compliant handrails to overbridge, Anti slip stair treads to overbridge.

Established Member
It's not as though it needs to be a Southend Airport -esque complex (complete with 12-car platforms, substantial parking space, overly-elaborate bridge and more) though is it? If anything I would suggest £2.1M is quite kind for such a project oop north!

Realistically, what would it need? 140m platform length at most (assuming 6-car 156, which I doubt ever happens), a couple of benches, a couple of shelters, some lighting, a few name boards, a Help Point, disabled access, an information board and maybe a portakabin...

I know of a station that is being rebuilt to the tune of £7m, and that is quite a small station. £2.1m sounds like something along the lines of Workington North!

Nym

Established Member
Workington North was still a perfectly good station, nowt wrong with using Scaffolding to make something, using just bogo standard platforms and a box (á la Lostock) is perfectly sufficient.

No. According to the bid application Billingham will be getting: Poster cases, Passenger information (electronic screens I assume), CCTV installation, Waiting shelter upgrades, Station signage upgrades, DDA compliant handrails to overbridge, Anti slip stair treads to overbridge.

If they put electronic screens in they won't last five minutes. as for the over bridge it will would be better if it was knocked down and a new one built to make it DDA compliant it's bad enough trying to get a childs buggy over never mind a wheel chair. althought it's about time CCTV was installed:roll:
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2471068 not exactly DDA compliant

Last edited:

PR1Berske

Established Member
"James Cook University Hospital"

That'll be rendered into something funny by automated platform announcers :lol::lol:

"JAM" doesn't seem to be an in-use three letter code, that's notable too....

Status
Not open for further replies.