• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New ticket gates in North of England

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I pushed the blue “call for information” button, but the operator didn’t seem to understand the situation. In the end, someone had to crawl, ninja-like beneath the barrier and alert the chap up in the office.
There should be a button you can press to open the gates in an emergency. If there is a risk of crushing and there are no staff anywhere you can find to ask for help then pressing it would seem reasonable. I'm familiar with the gates at Warrington Central and I think there are far too few in far too small a space.

Personally I would not risk crawling underneath the gates as if you're injured while doing it I wouldn't like to think what might happen. Unlike pressing the button, it's also a Byelaw offence.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Chaotic scenes at Warrington Central, late last night. The barriers were in operation, albeit unsupervised. Both ticket machines were out of order, meaning that those who had been unable to purchase a ticket were stranded on either side of the plastic curtain.

I pushed the blue “call for information” button, but the operator didn’t seem to understand the situation. In the end, someone had to crawl, ninja-like beneath the barrier and alert the chap up in the office.

Not quite sure how it was allowed to happen, but a potentially dangerous situation!

I had this at Elephant and Castle once - what was worse was that the emergency open button was stuck - really, really dangerous in the event of fire. I barged the barrier, alarms went off everywhere...and nobody cared.

johntea

Established Member
They should be testing things like this on a REGULAR basis, especially considering the recent fire at Nottingham station!

Sankey Wire

There should be a button you can press to open the gates in an emergency. If there is a risk of crushing and there are no staff anywhere you can find to ask for help then pressing it would seem reasonable. I'm familiar with the gates at Warrington Central and I think there are far too few in far too small a space.

Personally I would not risk crawling underneath the gates as if you're injured while doing it I wouldn't like to think what might happen. Unlike pressing the button, it's also a Byelaw offence.
The control panel is on the subway side of the gate, I couldn’t see anything on the booking-hall side. The Northern employee eventually held one gate open using his card, we all then ran for our 2249 pacer!

During December the booking hall seemed to be overcrowded (to the point that it was spilling out onto the steps, with big crowds either side) on quite a few occasions. I rarely use the station during the morning peak but I have seen quite a few complaints in the local paper.

TEW

Established Member
They should be testing things like this on a REGULAR basis, especially considering the recent fire at Nottingham station!
Emergency buttons on ticket barriers have to be tested at the start of every shift.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
The control panel is on the subway side of the gate, I couldn’t see anything on the booking-hall side. The Northern employee eventually held one gate open using his card, we all then ran for our 2249 pacer!

During December the booking hall seemed to be overcrowded (to the point that it was spilling out onto the steps, with big crowds either side) on quite a few occasions. I rarely use the station during the morning peak but I have seen quite a few complaints in the local paper.
In my view it's a complete inappropriate way to gate the station and should never have been allowed. But then, what does my view count for?

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Dewsbury goes live end of Jan.

This will be interesting to see if the TransPennine Ale Trailers will be caught out this weekend whilst they attempt to go from Batley to Stalybridge (or is it Marsden?) with no ticket.

I think Marsden should be staffed and gated, this way the hoards of hen parties and stag dos that are slowly cropping up again on the trail would soon be up s.... creek when they have to spend some of their booze fund on an orange and cream piece of card / paper to get out of the station.

PR1Berske

Established Member
This will be interesting to see if the TransPennine Ale Trailers will be caught out this weekend whilst they attempt to go from Batley to Stalybridge (or is it Marsden?) with no ticket.

I think Marsden should be staffed and gated, this way the hoards of hen parties and stag dos that are slowly cropping up again on the trail would soon be up s.... creek when they have to spend some of their booze fund on an orange and cream piece of card / paper to get out of the station.

Unscientific as this is, as a general member of the public, what percentage of passengers do you believe travel that route without a ticket?

pdq

As it happens, the barriers aren't in use yet, but on the west-bound ale trail the barriers don't have any impact. So, unless there are manual ticket checks, it's straight off the train and into the West Riding. Similar at Huddersfield and Stalybridge.

Geeves

Established Member
Unscientific as this is, as a general member of the public, what percentage of passengers do you believe travel that route without a ticket?

A large majority of the ale trailers start their trip at Victoria an so they do all have tickets. I know they do as I'm the one selling them an they do all pay. They moan about the cost, but they do pay as they can't get on otherwise.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
As it happens, the barriers aren't in use yet, but on the west-bound ale trail the barriers don't have any impact. So, unless there are manual ticket checks, it's straight off the train and into the West Riding. Similar at Huddersfield and Stalybridge.
At Huddersfield the pubs have less of an impact than you'd think: The Kings Head platform door is usually only available for those unable to use steps, and at the Head of Steam many of the staff will be suitably frosty with anyone they suspect of using the pub as a way to avoid ticket checks. Clearly the licensees don't want to create unnecessary friction with the railway.

The West Riding at Dewsbury is more of an issue because the doorway is more visible and less foreboding. However it's in Dewsbury, so most ale-trailers won't actually leave the station at all. The pub is more likely to be used as an 'escape route' by regular travellers without tickets than it is the ale trail crowd.

A large majority of the ale trailers start their trip at Victoria an so they do all have tickets. I know they do as I'm the one selling them an they do all pay. They moan about the cost, but they do pay as they can't get on otherwise.
Even those starting at the other end will most likely start at Leeds which is also gated. Some at both ends might try short-faring (a ticket to Batley or Stalybridge when they're in fact doing the whole run) but ticket checks on board are likely to catch these people at some point.

I did once board a train at my home station of Batley along with a group of quite loud ale-trailers, and when the guard came down to check tickets one of them had only a Leeds to Batley CDR. When the guard queried this (he asked if he'd been using splits, even though I don't think there's a split saving to be had, so I assume he was just avoiding confrontation) the bloke just looked a bit confused and squiffy... but far from becoming aggressive or abusive towards the guard as I expected, his mates instead took the Mick out of him for trying it on! I didn't find out what happened, the guard may well have just sold him a regular ticket as a goodwill/conflict-avoidance thing- but it goes to show that not everyone thinks that getting away with it is okay.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
The ticketing issue on the Pub Crawl (it isn't an "ale trail" on a Saturday as most of them aren't drinking ale at all, but drinking nasty lager or some other fizzy rubbish) is not really people without tickets, but people with the wrong tickets. People trying to use West Yorkshire Day Rovers through to Stalybridge is the most frequent and very common trick.

johntea

Established Member
Always amusing how they refuse to pay for the correct tickets but are more than happy to pay whatever it takes for another beer!

NorthernSpirit

Established Member

I've seen quite a few, some even hide in the bogs between Batley and Dewsbury to avoid the guard, others meanwhile go off route.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Can you now get season tickets with the Aztec code instead of having to pull them in and out of your ticket wallet every time for the barriers?

Wouldn't matter even if you could. Every time I try and use the Aztec code on my tickets at Newcastle, the barrier tells me off and orders me to put the ticket in the machine. Why print a bloody Aztec code then?

ag51ruk

The platform 1 - 3 ticket gates at Manchester Piccadilly have been switched on today.

Status
Not open for further replies.