• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New TPE Advance Purchase Tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've noticed whilst randomly searching for York-Newcastle tickets that TPE seem to have introduced a new Advance Purchase ticketing system, including advance purchase first class tickets.

Example adult return fares include:

York-Newcastle - £16 (£25 first)
Newcastle-Manchester - £30 (£46 first)
Cleethorpes-Manchester - £20 (£30 first)
Hull-Manchester - £20 (£30 first)
Doncaster-Manchester - £10 (£15 first)

I don't know, but some of these appear to be an increase on the old fares, and some CDRs appear to have been scrapped in favour of these new tickets. But its nice to see some cheaper first class tickets, as the old upgrade fares were stupidly priced.

What is odd is that there are as yet no press releases on the TPE website :?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
AJP said:
Excellent 10 quid donny to manchester is quite good!
That's actually rubbish, IMO, compared to other advance purchase fares. 5p less than a CDR (with YP), I don't think so somehow!

I can't find these stupidly-priced expensive fares, and quite frankly I don't want to, as they're more expensive than CDRs.

For example York-Newcastle is only £12, and is about the same price for 2x GNER advance singles if you're going for more than a day. So why would I pay more to go on a slower, inferior service?

AJP

no offence yorkie but 10quid return from donny-D(y)ork for 20 minutes, donny - manchester is longer ;)

Julian G

Established Member
Code:
[u]Watford Junction[/u] Child fare
West Brompton to Watford Junction(Chp Day Return) £2.50
London Euston to Watford Junction (Single) £3.20

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
AJP said:
no offence yorkie but 10quid return from donny-D(y)ork for 20 minutes, donny - manchester is longer ;)
Since when has York-Doncaster been £10?

It's £5.95 with a YP, although this may go up slightly in January.

When you say "20 minutes", I am not sure of the relevance of that. York-Doncaster is 30 miles, and Doncaster-Manchester 45 miles, "as the crow flies", it is illogical to assume that quicker journeys should be cheaper, in fact the opposite should be the case, and indeed usually is. You would expect to pay more for a quicker journey.

As the fare from York-Doncaster is only 60% of the fare from Doncaster-Manchester, but for 66% of the distance, I deem it to be of better value, and that's before you take into account the fact that the service is more freuqent, faster, and uses more comortable trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.