• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Train Driver Selection Criteria

Status
Not open for further replies.

DunfordBridge

I recently failed my CBI with Freightliner, one of the questions on which I failed was the one about working alone for long periods. The response I gave related to a time in the nineties when I worked as a security guard where some of the shifts were over twelve hours.

One of the areas which might have been my undoing was demonstrating that I could maintain concentration during these shifts in a sedentary position without the use of physical activity.

Most of the time I was watching the cameras but part of the content of my response centred around making check controls with the HQ of the security company and performing patrols as well as walking to the window to look at those areas which were not covered by the CCTV cameras.

I had an excellent example of how I would maintain concentration if I was a train driver involving route knowledge but of course the CBI is concerned with past experiences so I never had an opportunity to field this excellent example.

Although the CBI is not included in the new method of train driver assessment being replaced by the combination of the SJE (Situation Judgement Exercise) and the Multi-Modal Interview, I have been reading section 1.3 of the document T628 from the RSSB from which I have cited the following:

The introduction of complex systems such
as ERTMS is likely to change the demands made on train drivers
and therefore the selection criteria for the role (RSSB, 2005), as
follows:
  • New systems have already, and will in future, reduce the
    number of control tasks required. As a result a greater
    emphasis on the ability to sustain attention and vigilance
    with little physical activity is required.

My concern is that I have possibily failed this question before because of my response and if I use this example again, I could possibly fail the MMI described above as the criteria is a recurring one that is very valid.

The problem I have is how to I actually demonstrate that I was really watching the CCTV cameras in the early hours of the morning instead of falling to sleep as some people may be tempted to believe.

Another possibility of interpretation is that security guards could be engaging in other activities during periods of loneliness rather than keeping the mind on the job.

It may simply be that I chose the wrong example and that I may have been better describing my work as an IT Director where I sit in my own office doing my own work in isolation of others but having to deal with interruptions such as the telephone ringing and requests from other colleagues.

I would be interested to know what other members on the forum would make of these two different examples.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DunfordBridge

I'm sorry to hear you failed the CBI. When can you try again ?

Thanks again, Notadriver. Officially, I think I will be fine next April, but realistically speaking, I was wondering if I could apply in March 2014 as in my experience, the firms seem to take 3 or 4 weeks to go through the initial sift. In the meanwhile, I intend to make myself useful although maybe I could be even more proactive as I was unaware of the test runs by Transpennine Express to Carlisle using class 350s from London Midland. I only found out yesterday in a phone call to my father. I have since read your posts on the subject to fill in the gaps in my knowledge.

I think I may have answered my own question regarding the question of working alone using an example from my leisure time which I had in reserve.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.